Nextiva is a unified communications platform that helps teams connect with their customers and collaborate with their colleagues. It is often used by small businesses looking for a comprehensive voice-over-internet-protocol (VoIP) and phone service at affordable prices. Nextiva is among the best small business phone systems because of its extensive packages with professionally recorded voice greetings.
What We Recommend Nextiva For
Nextiva is a cloud-based business phone system that lets you manage your communications with your customers and teams on one platform. It offers comprehensive features in its scalable plans at affordable rates, perfect for businesses wanting to get started with a VoIP system that can accommodate their growing needs.
In particular, Nextiva is best for:
- Growing businesses looking for a scalable unified communications and business phone system with unlimited domestic calls: If your organization has expected growth, then Nextiva’s scalable platform is for you. It is among the most affordable business phone services for larger teams and is one of our recommendations for the best small business phone systems and best unified communications platforms.
- Teams looking for a call management platform with value for money: Nextiva offers affordable VoIP plans with essential call management features that come in every plan. It is among our top picks for the best call management systems for having more capabilities included in its most basic tier, unlike some competitors that offer them with their premium plans.
- Companies looking for a virtual phone service that comes with a free auto-attendant: If you want to maintain an established image as a company, you may benefit from Nextiva’s auto-receptionists. Nextiva provides easy-to-set-up automated attendant features in all plans, making it one of our recommendations for the best auto-attendant phone systems.
- Organizations looking for a business VoIP service with professionally recorded voice greetings: Nextiva offers a wide range of professionally recorded voicemail greeting options, including male and female voices, Spanish, American, Latin American, and British languages and accents. You may get one free professionally recorded greetings with a Professional plan and three free with the following tiers. With this, Nextiva is included in our list of the best professional voicemail greeting providers.
- Small businesses looking for a mobile device-compatible VoIP platform: Nextiva is a virtual phone system that works seamlessly in various devices, such as VoIP hardware, desktop, and mobile devices. It works best for those who want to manage their communications from anywhere and at any time. Nextiva made it to our list of the best small business VoIP apps.
- Those looking for a hosted public branch exchange (PBX) service for their remote work setup: Nextiva is a cloud-based VoIP service that features all essential features of a traditional PBX system, including unlimited internet fax, automated attendant, and call management capabilities. It is one of our top picks for best hosted PBX providers due to its scalable and affordable plans.
When Nextiva Would Not Be a Good Fit
- Freelancers and solopreneurs looking for a free business phone system: Nextiva’s extensive call management and communication features come with rates that could be expensive for those looking for a basic virtual phone system. If you only need a virtual phone system, basic calls, texts, and a voicemail, then a free app and phone service like Google Voice may be enough for you.
- Teams needing to make calls overseas: Nextiva allows international calling at reasonable rates. However, businesses that are in global markets may look into 8×8 for more affordable fees. This alternative offers unmetered calling features for selected countries and lower per-minute fees for those not covered by the said offer.
- Small businesses looking for an affordable virtual phone system that provides access to all of its capabilities: Not all companies need Nextiva’s advanced features and inclusions. Smaller teams needing a comprehensive solution that matches their needs and budget may consider Grasshopper. It comes with phone numbers and extensions and access to all of its features, regardless of the plan.
- Organizations with low call volumes: Those with low call volumes may save money with Nextiva’s competitors, like Zoom Phone and Phone.com. Zoom Phone features a wide range of flexible pay-as-you-go and unlimited plans, while Phone.com offers plans with limited monthly minutes at lower monthly prices.
- Large companies with more advanced needs that can afford more expensive rates: Nextiva offers comprehensive virtual phone solutions; however, those looking for a platform that they can utilize as their needs grow and do not mind its higher price tags may consider RingCentral. It comes with more premium features, like open APIs, advanced call management capabilities, and scalable plans. This platform is recommended for companies with expected growth that do not want the hassle of switching providers when the need comes.
- Teams looking for a small business phone service with streamlined pricing: If you are looking for a business VoIP service that comes with unlimited calls, call management features, and voicemail at more affordable prices, consider Ooma. It offers straightforward pricing, unlike most alternatives in the market like Nextiva, where plans and fees change depending on the number of users and features included.
- Businesses looking for a cheaper unified communications platform VoIP service with flexible and a la carte pricing: Those with tighter budgets and that need a unified communications platform may look into Vonage instead. Like Nextiva, it also allows users to add features on an a la carte basis, but Vonage’s monthly subscription fees are cheaper than Nextiva.
Want to look at other options? Check out our guide to our best VoIP apps for business to find out which product matches your current needs.
|Professional greeting is included with advanced plans||Interface is slightly clunky and dated-looking|
|Mobile app compatible with iOS and Android||Lacks unlimited international calling|
|Comes with visual voicemail, regardless of the plan||Higher international calling rates|
Nextiva has four different pricing plans that start at $21.95 per user, per month for five to 19 users (36-month contract). The main differences between the plans are the numbers of toll-free minutes, conference call participants, and access to premium features like unlimited video meetings, extended third-party software integrations, and customer journey analytics.
Those who want to get started with basic features quickly
Small to medium teams
12-Month Term Pricing**
36-Month Term Pricing**
Video Meeting Participants per Session
Maximum Number of Conference Call Participants
Unlimited Voicemail and Internet Fax
Unlimited Business SMS
Voice Analytics and Voicemail Transcription
Customer Journey Analytics
*Rates are based on a subscription with five to 19 users only. The more users subscribed to the account, the lower the per-user fees will be.
**12- and 36-month terms are paid in full at the beginning of the billing cycle.
Sign up for a seven-day free trial to learn how Nextiva works.
Nextiva Call Center
Nextiva also offers two cloud-based call center plans with straightforward pricing. Monthly fees start at $50 per user, and its platform does not charge activation or setup fees, nor are there required upfront hardware costs.
You may also reach out to Nextiva’s sales team to inquire about its advanced call center features built for enterprise needs. Estimated monthly fees cost anywhere from $100 to $150.
Nextiva Call Center Add-ons
- Office Receptionist: This add-on features a web-based tool that allows receptionists to monitor users and place click-to-dial calls. It has three tiers:
- Pro: Allows up to eight employee lines ($39.95 per line, per month)
- Premium: Lets you register up to 30 employee lines ($49.95 per line, per month)
- Enterprise: Made for those needing an unlimited number of employee lines ($69.95 per line, per month)
- Agent Dashboard License ($29.95 per line, per month): This add-on enables agents to generate reports on themselves, including agent activity, agent call detail, agent call report, agent duration, and agent sign-in and sign-out.
- Supervisor Dashboard License ($69.95 per line, per month): This add-on allows users to run reports on all agents.
Nextiva allows purchases and rentals of business VoIP hardware, such as desk phones, headsets, conference devices, and adapters. If you don’t have enough budget to spend on VoIP hardware, Nextiva can help you convert your existing devices and traditional systems to work with its service and platform.
Additionally, some devices—except all adapters—are offered on monthly payment cycles and come with one to three years of warranty for purchases and a lifetime warranty for rentals. You may check its website for more information on the specific devices bundled with these discounts and warranties.
Nextiva offers desk phones that support its VoIP technology. Headsets from Panasonic, Poly, Nextiva, and Cisco are available to customers. Pricing for the hardware ranges from $79 to $840. The company also offers occasional discounts on telephony hardware. Visit its website to obtain current prices.
If you prefer a business phone that you can carry with you, then cordless phones are for you. Nextiva has a wide range of cordless VoIP phones with Wi-Fi or DECT base stations. It features less line noise, secure conferencing, caller ID, call waiting, and unique phone numbers.
You may choose from Nextiva or Panasonic devices, which have prices that range from $116 to $245. Discounted rates are offered on occasion, and you can check its website to see its current prices.
Nextiva provides VoIP conference phones from Cisco, Snom, Poly, and Calisto that allow you to call multiple phone lines for meetings for your remote teams. These devices cost from $259 to $1,738. Check its hardware page to find out if discounts are available today.
If you love to multitask while on a call, consider getting headsets. Nextiva offers Poly and Blackwire devices that cost from $59.99 to $319.99. Features differ among brands and models, but most headsets allow DECT and Bluetooth connections and have noise cancellation, one-touch answer, and call management features.
Those that want to maintain an excellent internet connection for their calls may look into getting VoIP adapters. Analog devices are connected through VoIP adapters for a more secure and stable phone line. Brands available are Cisco, AudioCodes, and Nextiva, which range from $60 to more than $850.
Nextiva is a robust cloud-based business phone system accessible through desktop and mobile devices, as well as VoIP hardware. It is recommended for businesses looking for a comprehensive system offered at affordable fees. Though it has plans for smaller teams, larger working teams may see its discounts for more users and longer-contract terms as an advantage.
Nextiva has impressive features in its base plan, such as unlimited domestic calls, fax, voicemail, auto-attendant features, and collaboration, unlike some of its competitors offering them in more advanced tiers.
Apart from Nextiva’s core capabilities, it also features the following:
- Internet fax: Nextiva provides standard and HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act)-compliant internet fax services. It allows users to manage their virtual faxes through their computers, mobile devices, and even traditional fax machines. However, those interested in utilizing their traditional fax machine with its platform must purchase the Nextiva Fax Bridge device.
- Collaboration: Included in Nextiva’s core plan are team collaboration and video features via Cospace. These functions include meetings, task management, team calendar, meeting scheduling, screen sharing, chat, and a directory.
- Number porting: All Nextiva users may transfer their existing phone numbers from their current carrier to Nextiva at no cost. The process is handled by Nextiva and requires users to submit a completed Letter of Agency (LOA) form.
- Visual voicemail: Never miss a message by automatically routing calls to your voicemail when unanswered. Nextiva’s visual voicemail lets you customize its settings, receive voicemail messages through email, and record multiple greetings, among others.
- Third-party app integrations: Utilize your existing tools with Nextiva’s platform to experience your software’s full potential. It offers integrations with widely used apps like MS Outlook, Google Contacts, Zendesk, NetSuite, and Microsoft Dynamics 365.
Nextiva Call Management
- Multilevel auto-attendant
- Call pop
- Call group
- Call history
- Call flows
- Team presence
- Busy lamp field
Ensure that all calls are answered and messages are taken with Nextiva’s call management capabilities. It features a basic auto-attendant—on its most basic tier—and a multilevel auto-attendant starting at the Professional plan.
Nextiva also provides users with a call pop feature that displays important caller information on your screen before you take the call. Users may customize which specific insights to show for your team’s benefit. Details gathered includes:
- The last interaction with the customer/caller
- The customer experience score
- The customer’s survey responses
- The value of the customer account
- Customized and standard reports
- User and team performance
- Customer database
- Custom dashboards
- Standard reports
Generate reports to analyze essential data about your organization’s activities and customers’ experiences with Nextiva. It lets you run customized and standard reports, view team and user performance, create dashboards through its dashboard builder, and configure ready-made dashboard templates.
Users may also create wallboards that display metrics on large screens like TVs to help users monitor current statistics. You may utilize Nextiva’s gathered insights to develop more effective strategies and address issues to improve your team’s performance.
Video & Audio Conferencing
- Accessible from desktop and mobile devices
- Host video conferences for up to 250 participants
- Screen sharing
- Video conference recording
- Up to an unlimited number of audio conference participants
- Meeting invites for audio and video conferences
Meet face-to-face virtually with your participants with Nextiva’s video conferencing feature. The module lets you host video meetings for up to 250 attendees and share your screen through your desktop computers or mobile phones. You may also record your sessions to share with those who cannot attend.
Additionally, Nextiva supports audio conferencing through its apps and conference phones. You may also send meeting invites to your participants for audio and video calls to provide them with the details, such as time, date, and agenda. Three-way conferencing is also available for those with Nextiva-configured conference phones.
Desktop & Mobile Apps
- Unlimited local calling
- Team and individual chat
- Video conferencing and screen sharing
- Call routing and auto-attendant
Nextiva provides users with desktop and mobile apps—enabling them to access its robust platform through their Mac or Windows computers and iOS and Android devices. You can switch seamlessly from one device to another as data is synced in real time. These apps ensure that you are not tied to your location and can manage your customer and team communications from anywhere with an internet connection.
Nextiva Ease of Use
- Phone, email, and chat support channels available
- 24/7 unlimited live support for all users
- Simple setup
- Professional implementation included starting at the Professional plan
- User-friendly interface
- Compatible with VoIP hardware, desktop, and mobile devices
- Wide range of guides with graphics
- Preconfigured hardware available
Nextiva’s straightforward and intuitive platform comes with easy-to-configure features. However, those still having a hard time setting up their service may look into its library of guides with screenshots and animated graphics or contact its 24/7 unlimited live support.
Moreover, it offers preconfigured VoIP hardware to help users get their service running in minutes. Nextiva also allows users to bring their own devices and convert them to make them compatible with its service.
Best for: Businesses that want a powerful yet budget-friendly phone service that is also easy to use
Best for: Teams that want unlimited calling to nearly 50 countries around the world at no extra cost
Best for: Organizations that want to add individual features onto their service on an a la carte basis
Starting price: $39.99 per user, per month
Starting price: $12 per user, per month
Starting price: $19.99 per line, per month
Not sure if Nextiva matches your needs? See how it compares with other popular small business VoIP service providers.
What Users Think of Nextiva
Industry experts and users agree with our analysis that Nextiva is an outstanding business phone software with VoIP for growing companies. At the time of publication, Nextiva has earned the following ratings on other popular user review websites:
- Sitejabber: 4.69 out of 5 based on 87 reviews
- G2: 4.4 out of 5 based on 272 reviews
- Capterra: 4.2 out of 5 based on 172 reviews
- GetApp: 4.25 out of 5 based on 172 reviews
- GetVOIP.com: 4.6 out of 5 based on 1,714 reviews
ConsumerAffairs presents an Overall Satisfaction Rating based on its collected user reviews and comments on the software. According to its calculation, Nextiva has an overall 4 out of 5 rating based on 33 reviews.
When reading through recent user reviews, here are some of the trends that I noticed:
Users Don’t Like
Helpful, prompt, and professional customer support team
No auto-renewal notification based on their experience
Excellent onboarding and setup
Mobile app and desktop sync is buggy sometimes
Intuitive and easy-to-use platform
Occasional app crashes and issues
Affordable pricing for all business sizes
If you want to get started with a business phone system that you can stick with while your needs grow, then Nextiva is for you. Larger teams and those willing to commit to more extended contracts may benefit more from its discounts.
Nextiva packaged its plans to fit the requirements of businesses of all sizes and enables users to inquire about feature add-ons. Overall, it is an excellent choice for those looking for value for their money with its powerful inclusions—even in its base plans—that some of its competitors offer in more expensive plans.
Visit Nextiva to request a demo or sign up for a seven-day free trial to find out if it works best for your current business needs.