Nextiva is an all-in-one voice-over-internet-protocol (VoIP) business phone software with collaboration and customer management capabilities. Based on Nextiva reviews, small businesses like its 99.999% service reliability, robust call management, and video conferencing features. Nextiva is best for small businesses looking for scalable call management systems with unlimited domestic calling. Monthly subscriptions start at $30.95 per user.
Nextiva Review: At a Glance
- Does not offer a free version
- Lacks international phone numbers and unlimited international calling
- Gets expensive when you only need an office phone system, especially if you’re not taking advantage of annual or volume discounts
- If you’re expanding and need a cost-effective, scalable phone system: If you’re looking for unified communications (UC) and advanced telephony systems, Nextiva offers live chat and conference bridges and accommodates teams of over 100. Its monthly per-agent rate decreases as you add more users, and teams opting for annual billing will save more.
- When you need unlimited video and voice calling: Enjoy unmetered VoIP calling across North America. Use Nextiva’s high-definition video or voice calling to communicate with teams in multiple domestic locations constantly. Its clear communications profile earned it a spot on our list of best business cell phone plans.
- Seeking a VoIP service with professionally recorded voice greetings: Nextiva, which is one of our best professional voicemail greeting providers, offers a wide range of greeting options, including male or female voices (Spanish, American, Latin American, and British accents). You get one free professionally recorded greeting with the Professional plan and three with the Enterprise plan.
- If your small team is in the market for auto-attendant features: Nextiva joins our list of the best auto-attendant phone systems because its auto-receptionists intelligently route incoming calls to the appropriate agents and departments. This automated attendant feature is available in all plans.
- Looking to integrate your sales and CRM (customer relationship management) software with your phone system: Nextiva has sales and customer service features, including post-call surveys and automated emails, to increase sales conversions. This kind of integration between your VoIP system and your sales and CRM software lets you track leads and place crucial client information in front of your agents while on Nextiva.
- Freelancer or solopreneur looking for a cheap or free business phone system: Nextiva’s extensive call management and communication features may be too much. For basic VoIP features, such as calls, texts, and inbound caller ID, consider providers with free options like Ooma, Google Voice, or Freshdesk.
- Startup with lean teams and low call volumes: Nextiva’s plans come with toll-free minutes and unlimited domestic calling, but businesses with low call volumes are better off with a provider like Phone.com, which offers shared minutes and pooled text messages. This earned Phone.com a spot on our list of the top VoIP services for home offices.
- Businesses that make frequent international calls: While Nextiva has per-minute international rates, businesses operating globally save on call costs by opting for a provider offering unmetered international calling. 8×8 has international phone numbers and unlimited international calling for up to 48 countries, which we cover in our 8×8 vs Nextiva article.
Nextiva Deciding Factors
Nextiva is a complete phone system solution with advanced features, including professionally recorded greetings, multi-level auto-attendants, and customer relationship management (CRM) integrations—designed to match varying business communication needs. Nextiva’s Cospace collaborative functions ensure you and your team remain connected and synchronized no matter where you are.
Businesses requiring a wide array of communications channels for both customers and colleagues
Annual or Volume Discounts Available
Both are available with Nextiva; with annual pricing, you save anywhere from 20% to 28% per month
Salesforce, Zoho, HubSpot, Microsoft Outlook, Zendesk, Sugar CRM, Microsoft Teams
24/7 phone support, live chat, and email support
Nextiva is one of the best business phone systems, but there are certain features it lacks, such as extensive third-party integrations, unmetered global calling, and cost-effective mix-and-match plans. Here are some alternative providers based on Nextiva customer reviews and feedback from small business owners and platform users.
If you’re looking for a VoIP service provider other than Nextiva, here are the top three Nextiva alternatives to consider:
Businesses wanting full-featured phone systems with extensive third-party integrations
Budget-conscious teams needing mix-and-match plans as well as international unmetered calling and numbers
Companies in need of unmetered calls from over 50 countries
Monthly Starting Price (per User)
Nextiva pricing and plans include advanced phone features useful for companies looking to streamline their communication systems. All plans come with toll-free numbers, Microsoft Outlook and Google contacts integrations, unlimited internet fax, and voicemail. Nextiva’s pricing starts at $30.95 per user for up to four agents, and annual payments will save you up to 22%. It also offers a seven-day free trial for interested parties.
Small teams needing all-in-one phone and video solutions
Small to mid-sized businesses with higher call volumes and CRM integration needs
Large companies with high call volumes requiring comprehensive UC solutions
Team Collaboration & Chat Messaging
Unlimited Calling Within the U.S. & Canada
Unlimited Conference Calls
No. of Professionally Recorded Greetings
Up to 1,500 minutes
Up to 3,000 minutes
Up to 12,500 minutes
Advanced Integrations With the Most Popular CRM & Customer-facing Apps
*Pricing based on one to four users
If you’re searching for a home or office-based communication system, Nextiva’s platform is able to house all of your communication needs, from instant messaging to phone calls and video conferencing. Its call management features include recorded greetings and call flips, and it comes with extensive 24/7 email, chat, and phone support.
In addition to Nextiva’s core capabilities, other features worth mentioning are:
- Internet fax: Nextiva provides standard and HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act)-compliant internet fax services, accessible through multiple devices, such as computers and mobile devices. Connect Nextiva with your traditional fax machine using the Nextiva Fax Bridge device.
- Collaboration: Team collaboration and video features, including task management, team calendar, meeting scheduling, screen sharing, chat, and a directory, are part of Nextiva Cospace.
- Number porting: All Nextiva users may transfer their phone numbers from their current carrier to Nextiva at no cost. The process is handled by Nextiva and requires users to submit a completed Letter of Agency (LOA) form.
- Visual voicemail: Nextiva’s visual voicemail automatically routes calls to voicemail when unanswered. Easily customize your settings, receive voicemail messages through email, or record multiple greetings.
- Third-party app integrations: Maximize your existing tools with Nextiva’s platform to experience your software’s full potential. It integrates seamlessly with popular apps like MS Outlook, Google Contacts, Zendesk, NetSuite, and Microsoft Dynamics 365.
Nextiva also has a respectable number of features for businesses looking to do more. Here’s a breakdown of several of these features that incorporate things like analytics and call management:
Improving your call center performance is more than having the right script or recorded greeting. Tracking call center key performance indicators (KPIs) is crucial to improving customer service. Nextiva Analytics is a powerful reporting and analysis tool that consolidates call data for visual presentation. View historical data and track real-time data in easy-to-read dashboards and customizable reports to gain insights on reducing costs or operating more efficiently.
Learn more about how this monitoring tool, called the NextOS, helps improve customer satisfaction and agent performance in our Nextiva Analytics article.
Nextiva offers you not just an internet phone; it’s a powerful business tool that helps you efficiently route, hold, divert, and block incoming calls. Use the auto-attendant feature to handle your front desk operations to reduce customer frustration, improve productivity, and increase issue resolution. If you have nationwide teams and clients, Nextiva’s unlimited domestic calling and toll-free minutes reduce your communication costs. Here are other Nextiva call features:
- Unlimited domestic calls
- Free local and toll-free numbers
- Toll-free minutes
- Simultaneous ring
- Shared call appearance
- private branch exchange (PBX)/session initiation protocol (SIP) trunking
- Call history
- Call log reports
- Auto- and multi-level attendant
- Call pop
- Call forwarding
- Call recording
- Call waiting
- Do not disturb
- Music on hold
- Professional greetings
Improve productivity by using video communications to connect with customers and colleagues. Nextiva’s video conferencing features easily facilitate collaboration, optimize remote staff attendance, and enable teams to share knowledge faster and more efficiently. Here are some of the key virtual meeting features offered by Nextiva:
- Unlimited HD video conferencing
- Video calling
- Video meetings
- Video conference recording
- Live screen sharing
- Simultaneous text-based chatting
- Multi-device support
- Speaker and participant mute
- File sharing
- Livestreaming and webinars
Nextiva’s unified communications (UC) platform is designed to allow the greatest level of flexibility. Its extensive phone compatibility and mobile applications enable you to reach colleagues working in the field or remotely. According to Nextiva app reviews, the desktop app for Windows and Mac and iOS and Android applications are straightforward.
Nextiva’s business software equips you with the functions you need to get more done from a single workspace. Create different rooms for specific projects or topics, message teammates directly, or broadcast in groups. Nextiva makes it easy to share and search documents and easily schedule meetings through integrated calendars and chat for quick coordination and response. Here are our favorite productivity features from Nextiva:
- Desktop SMS
- File sharing
- Team messaging
- Video meetings
- Integrated calendars
- Threaded conversations
- Notes on contacts and calls
- Contact management
- Google and Outlook integration
- Voicemail transcription
- Voicemail to SMS notifications
- Team presence and status
- Shared line appearance
- Busy lamp field
- Single sign-on
Nextiva integrates with 19 popular third-party applications, including Zoho, Salesforce, HubSpot, Zendesk, Google Workspace, and Oracle Sales Cloud. Nextiva seamlessly integrates with your customer relationship manager (CRM), sales, and productivity platforms, allowing you to sync data or click-to-call from browsers. These integrations make it easier for you to maximize your favorite business tools.
In addition to its business communications plans, Nextiva offers intelligent cloud contact center solutions with four paid plan tiers. Depending on your plan, tools include inbound and outbound calling, quality management services, and workforce and workflow optimization solutions. Contact Nextiva’s sales team for custom pricing to learn more.
When it comes to customer support experience, Nextiva has just about everything you need as a business owner. Nextiva states its system provides “support when you need it,” which is an apt description of its services since they have phone support on a 24/7 basis. In addition to its phone-based support channel, Nextiva also provides the ability to create support tickets, a live chat system, email-based support, and a dedicated support center.
Overall, this has earned Nextiva a 5 out of 5 since business users are so supported on the platform. Its support structure allows users to really pick their preferred support methodology so that any issues that arise are quickly resolved.
Similar to noteworthy office phone system providers, like Grasshopper, Nextiva has a user interface that requires no dedicated technical knowledge. Within its system, you’ll be able to set up your phone system quickly, add on features, and upgrade to higher tiers when needed.
In addition to the lack of required technical skills required for setup, there are also very few needed skills needed for daily use. Things like Nextiva Analytics are easy to use and understand, and switching between phone, chat, and video is simple.
Based on Nextiva reviews, customers report their calls are efficiently routed, and there have been minimal to no issues with connectivity. Nextiva has helped reduce phone bills and increased control over call management. Users appreciate efficient customer service, a smooth onboarding process, and portability through mobile applications.
At the time of publication, Nextiva has earned the following scores on popular user review sites:
- G2: 4.4 out of 5 based on 1,773 reviews
- GETVOIP: 4.6 out of 5 based on 2,586 reviews
- Software Advice: 4.08 out of 5 based on 204 reviews
- Gartner: 4.5 out of 5 based on 1,297 reviews
- TrustRadius: 7.7 out of 10 based on 34 reviews
Our own expert reviews corroborate this. Users save when switching to Nextiva, especially with their volume and annual discount options. Additionally, the support, application options, and overall ease of use make it a strong contender for the best small business VoIP service.
How We Evaluated Nextiva
To evaluate Nextiva, we identified several critical factors: pricing, features, customer service, and ease of use. We compared these criteria to other office phone and business communications systems and checked third-party review platforms to see how it accommodates the needs of actual users.
Learn how we evaluated Nextiva by clicking on the tabs below:
20% of Overall Score
To determine the platform’s affordability, we checked if it offers a free version and an entry-level subscription for less than $30. We considered the provider’s number of plans and available volume or annual discounts.
25% of Overall Score
The essential capabilities we looked for include important features that any business could use for day-to-day communications. These included unlimited calling within the U.S. and Canada, video and audio conferencing, available uptime service level agreements (SLAs), and the availability of mobile applications.
20% of Overall Score
Some features can be a value-add for only some company types. For this criteria, we looked at features that might help companies expand and bring in new customers. This included international calling and number availability, interactive voice response (IVR) systems, and software integrations.
10% of Overall Score
The schedule and types of customer support were part of our assessment. The provider received more points for having 24/7 customer service.
10% of Overall Score
To determine whether or not the platform is user-friendly, we checked if the interface is intuitive. We also considered the ease of getting started with the contact center system.
15% of Overall Score
This covers our evaluation of the provider’s popularity with users, value for money, and ease of use. We also looked at its features and assessed how they stack up against competitors.
Nextiva is a business phone system that handles both your inbound and outbound calls and offers advanced collaboration features, such as HD conferencing and automated call forwarding. Nextiva’s pricing plans are best for small businesses in the market for high-quality call management solutions. Users will get great value for money by choosing Nextiva’s all-in-one platform to accommodate their growing business needs.