|Fast and robust faxing capabilities||Requires an existing phone line|
|Intuitive and easy to use||No video conferencing features|
|Custom voicemail greetings||Limited collaboration tools|
|Seven-day free trial||Lacks unlimited international calling|
|Multi-platform support||Limited fax capabilities|
|All features available in all plans||Too simple for advanced needs like business and customer intelligence|
What We Recommend Grasshopper For
Grasshopper offers an all-inclusive platform for managing and sending calls and listening to voicemail. It offers both desktop and mobile apps, which is great for remote workers. Its features and capabilities make it more cost-effective than traditional business phone lines, as well as other advanced virtual phone services and VoIP systems.
Moreover, Grasshopper comes with a range of different phone number options and other advanced features like auto-attendant and conference calling. However, it doesn’t provide international phone numbers, unlike some competitors, such as 8×8.
When to Use Grasshopper
- Small businesses looking for virtual phone numbers: Grasshopper is one of our top picks for the best virtual phone number providers and best vanity numbers providers as it comes with core telephony features at affordable prices.
- Those wanting to manage personal and business calls on one device: Grasshopper provides a softphone with advanced capabilities—accessible through your existing desktop or mobile device. It made it to our list of the best VoIP apps, best softphone apps, and best softphone providers for its ease of use.
- Customized professional voicemail greeting set up: Grasshopper lets you order and deploy professionally recorded greetings in English and Spanish. It’s one of our top picks for the best professional voicemail greeting providers for those needing multiple scripts and a VoIP service in one provider.
- Businesses with low call volumes looking for a budget-friendly virtual phone system with an auto-attendant: Greet your callers and route their calls to the most appropriate number for their needs. Grasshopper offers one of the best auto-attendant phone systems at reasonable prices. It is also among our list of the best cheap VoIP services for its price range and useful features.
- Work-from-home teams that want to save on call fees with VoIP calling: Apart from cost savings on calls, Grasshopper is our overall pick for the best VoIP services for home offices.
- Call management: Regulate your call volume through blocking, screening, forwarding, and transferring with Grasshopper, which is included in our best call management systems.
When Grasshopper Would Not Be a Good Fit
- Big companies with large call volumes: Though Grasshopper comes with powerful features, it might not be sufficient for more advanced needs and larger call volumes. A more comprehensive communication software like RingCentral may serve enterprises and bigger companies better. If you’re curious to find out more about these two providers, check out our head-to-head RingCentral vs Grasshopper comparison.
- Businesses that require international phone numbers: Grasshopper allows international calling; however, it doesn’t offer virtual international phone numbers. Alternatives, such as VirtualPhone.com, would be a better fit for businesses with a global presence. If you are looking for more options, check out our list of the best services for VoIP international calls.
- Teams looking for a virtual phone system with video conferencing features: Collaboration and communication for remote teams are more effective with video conferencing capabilities, which Grasshopper doesn’t have. Those who find this feature essential may consider a VoIP software like Phone.com. Check out our Phone.com vs Grasshopper article, or refer to our list of the best video conference software if you’re looking for other alternatives.
- Google Workspace users looking for a basic VoIP solution: If you aren’t looking to scale and prioritize its seamless integration with your other Google tools, then Google Voice is for you. It is also among the cheapest services that also feature a free version. Read our Grasshopper vs Google Voice analysis for more information.
Looking for more options? Read our guide to the best small business phone systems to find a product that matches your needs.
Grasshopper has three pricing tiers. All plans include desktop and mobile apps, business texting, call forwarding, voicemail, voicemail transcription, and virtual fax. The only difference between the plans is the numbers of phone numbers and extensions included. Additional numbers cost $10 each, monthly.
Individuals and solopreneurs
Growing businesses with 1 to 3 employees
Those who need more flexibility in call routing options
No. of Phone Numbers
Numbers of Extensions
*Annual plans are paid in full at the beginning of the billing cycle.
- Call blasting costs $10 per month
- Order professional greeting recordings for $75 each
- Get a 35% discount on Ruby Receptionists
- International calls start at 8 cents per minute
- Additional numbers cost $10 per number, per month
- You may also add extra extensions
Not all virtual phone systems support international calling. Grasshopper is among the providers that allow users to make calls overseas. Though its per-minute rates are published on its website, customized plans are also available.
Apart from its virtual phone system, Grasshopper Connect is also available for unifying business communications. It is offered under one plan—Individual—which costs $39 per month ($35 per month when billed annually). This plan comes with one phone number, email, text, and phone integration, as well as other features like timeline view and unified messaging.
Grasshopper is a comprehensive virtual phone system equipped with VoIP features. It is recommended for small business owners, solopreneurs, and freelancers who want to add credibility and professionalism to their brands with a separate business line. Its plans—providing access to all features—make it ideal for those with growing needs. Upgrades are only required when more phone numbers and extensions are needed.
Its premium features (such as virtual fax, voicemail, VoIP, and international calls, as well as its straightforward user interface) are Grasshopper’s main strengths. It also provides virtual phone number options, such as vanity, local, and toll-free numbers. However, it lacks video conferencing and most collaboration tools that its alternatives often offer. Note that it is a virtual phone system with VoIP and Wi-Fi calling functions, and most standalone VoIP systems offer these advanced capabilities at higher prices.
Those interested may check out our guide on the difference between VoIP and virtual phone systems.
In addition to Grasshopper’s core features, it also offers the following:
- Virtual receptionist: Grasshopper works with Ruby Receptionists in providing virtual receptionist services. Its U.S.-based voice talents help users deliver personalized experiences to their customers through professionally recorded greetings.
- Call blasting: Ring up to 15 lines simultaneously to reduce your callers’ wait times and increase their satisfaction.
- Voice studio: Order and utilize professional English and Spanish voicemail greetings by Grasshopper’s experienced voice actors.
- Virtual fax: View documents sent through your virtual fax as attachments to your email.
VoIP & Wi-Fi Calling
- Calls through an internet connection
- Call forwarding
- International calls at added rates
- Personalized greetings
- Virtual phone numbers and extensions
- No international phone numbers available
Grasshopper lets you make calls with a cellular network as well as through VoIP when you have weak cell reception. You can utilize its VoIP calling features when you are connected to the internet. You can also ensure that you are always connected with your customers, anytime and anywhere.
It comes with an auto-attendant that greets your customers through default or customized audio and directs them to the most appropriate phone number based on their needs and response. Call answering and forwarding rules are also configurable.
You have the option to utilize Grasshopper’s virtual toll-free, local, and vanity phone numbers and extensions or transfer your existing numbers to its platform. Customers can reach you through your virtual phone number, which forwards calls and texts to your current phone line.
If you want to test these capabilities, Grasshopper offers a free seven-day free trial with no required payment information. Visit Grasshopper to try its full virtual phone system firsthand.
- Unlimited texts to and from your Grasshopper number
- Supports MMS messages
- Respond to missed calls with a text
- Confirm appointment schedules in writing
Grasshopper allows you to send and receive an unlimited number of texts—letting you send updates and respond to inquiries and messages. You may also send MMS photos to local numbers. Note that you can grant texting permissions for a number to a single user or a group through a specific Grasshopper web page only.
Some of the limitations of Grasshopper texting include being unable to send text messages to toll-free, Canadian, and international numbers. MMS and group texts are only available for local numbers, and text messages to shortcodes aren’t allowed.
Through its “instant response” feature, Grasshopper automatically sends SMS messages to your callers when you’re unable to answer calls. You may let them know that they have reached the right number to avoid losing leads. Callers are also allowed to reply with their call-back information. Through automated texts, you save time writing out numerous texts to all your missed callers and can share your availability or updated business information.
- Voicemail transcription
- Searchable records of business voicemails
- Customizable voicemail greeting
- Send voicemail to up to 10 email addresses
- Push notifications for missed voicemail
Grasshopper features a virtual voicemail that you can access online. It lets you stay connected and responsive, even when you’re away from your office. You can check your messages through its desktop and mobile apps and send text messages to those who sent urgent ones.
Professional voicemail greetings may be recorded or set up to replace the default audio. Grasshopper has a voice studio that offers recording services for your English or Spanish greeting needs.
Voicemail transcription is available for all Grasshopper subscribers, unlike many providers that offer it as an add-on or inclusion to a premium plan. This feature automatically forwards voicemail messages to up to 10 email addresses of your choice as an audio attachment and a text.
You can search voicemail records through email and the apps, making it easier for you to store information in your lead generation tool or customer relationship management (CRM) software. Additionally, users are notified if they missed a voicemail message—letting them review it and respond through text or call.
Desktop & Mobile Apps
- Calls via Wi-Fi, VoIP, data connection, and cellular network
- Message and call history
- Missed calls and messages notifications
- Call forwarding settings set up
- MMS and group messaging (applicable in the U.S.)
- Detect suspected spam calls with Wi-Fi calling (U.S. and Canada)
Grasshopper lets you stay available, anytime and anywhere—even with a weak cellular connection. It offers desktop and mobile apps that you can utilize on Windows, Android, and iOS devices with internet connections.
Through these applications, it’s possible to manage voicemails, fax, calls, and texts to and from your business phone number, review call and message history, and receive notifications of missed messages and calls. To utilize the texting feature—including MMS—users should sign in as an admin.
Curious to find out how to get started? Learn how to set up and use your Grasshopper phone in 5 steps.
Best for: Teams looking for an exceptional overall package of features, usability, and affordability
Best for: Companies wanting a solid package with a free, professionally recorded voice greeting
Best for: Solo workers and freelancers looking for a free, no-frills option
Starting price: $29.99 per user, per month
Starting price: $23.95 per user, per month
Starting price: Free or $10 per user, per month
Looking for more options? Find out which made it to our list of the best Grasshopper alternatives you may consider.
What Users Think of Grasshopper
Many Grasshopper phone system reviews online align with our analysis of it being one of the best VoIP providers in the market today. It found the balance between being feature-rich and budget-friendly, perfect for growing businesses.
At the time of publication, Grasshopper has earned the following scores on popular user review sites:
- G2: 4.1 out of 5 stars based on 122 reviews
- Capterra: 4.5 out of 5 stars based on 308 reviews
- GetApp: 4.5 out of 5 stars based on 308 reviews
- Software Advice: 4.45 out of 5 stars based on 308 reviews
Trends in these customer reviews include appreciation for its feature-rich platform and helpful customer support team. Other users applauded its ease of use and affordable pricing. However, there are some who find its user interface outdated-looking. A few others reported experiencing issues, such as missing text messages and call feature bugs.
Grasshopper offers a comprehensive set of virtual phone features that work best for small business needs. It comes with advanced features that most providers include in their more expensive plans, such as auto-attendants, customized greetings, fax, and voicemail. However, it lacks video conferencing and call recording functions.
There may be cheaper alternatives to Grasshopper, like Google Voice, but its all-inclusive pricing tiers are ideal for those who want to utilize a complete virtual phone system with an affordable base plan. It is a complete business phone line that you can take anywhere—providing great value for small businesses looking to add credibility to their brand.
Visit Grasshopper for a free seven-day trial that does not require any credit card information.