RingCentral is a communications platform that helps businesses connect with their customers and teams. It is often used by companies that are looking for a scalable and robust voice-over-internet-protocol (VoIP) solution. RingCentral is among the best small business phone systems because of its tiered pricing plans with comprehensive features that come with reasonable prices.
What We Recommend RingCentral For
RingCentral provides a comprehensive cloud-based platform for managing communications across channels, such as voice, voicemail, fax, and text. It offers various subscription options that are great for businesses looking for a budget-friendly and easy-to-use phone service. There may be cheaper alternatives, but RingCentral features the most comprehensive system, perfect for those looking to scale.
Moreover, RingCentral provides useful features like vanity and toll-free numbers, document sharing, and unlimited calling in the U.S. and Canada in all of their plans. Other providers offer these in their premium subscriptions or at additional charges.
In particular, RingCentral is best for:
- Teams looking for a VoIP system with video conferencing features: RingCentral is our top pick for the best small business VoIP service providers with its powerful features, ease of use, and reasonable rates. It also made our list of the best video conferencing software and best softphone apps.
- Healthcare organizations looking for a secure phone system for their telehealth needs: RingCentral strictly complies with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and Health Information Trust Alliance (HITRUST). It ensures that patient health information is treated with confidentiality and privacy—making it among the top HIPAA-compliant video conferencing systems.
- Businesses needing an interactive voice response (IVR) system or multilevel auto-attendant that supports high call volumes: RingCentral is our best answering service, and is among our best auto-attendant phone systems recommendations as it provides capabilities that forward calls to specific departments, employees, or external phone numbers.
- Those looking for a robust business cell phone plan: RingCentral is our overall best business cell phone plan as it comes with apps that allow access to its platform via mobile phone, tablet, or desktop computer. It comes with extensive capabilities, such as video conferencing, and is more cost-effective than most traditional cell phone plans.
- Enterprises that need a complete phone solution for their expanding environment: RingCentral provides equipment leases, allowing businesses to utilize the best technologies—both software and hardware—for their needs. It landed on our top picks for the best call center phones and best call center phone systems.
- International calling: RingCentral supports international calling for those with a global presence. Its plans already include calls to Puerto Rico and Canada, and per-minute fees for other countries start at 1 cent. It is one of our recommended phone systems in our guide on international calling rates.
- Call management: RingCentral made it to our best call management systems list as it features advanced capabilities along with its call management features, such as call monitoring, call handling, and phone system administration.
- Sales automation: RingCentral helps automate sales with its comprehensive communication and call management features, such as automatic call logs with a dialer that eliminates manual entry. Its platform is one of our recommendations for the best sales automation software.
- Vanity phone number: Customize your business phone number to make it easy to remember for your customers with RingCentral. It is among our picks for the best vanity phone number providers as it also comes with advanced phone system features.
When RingCentral Would Not Be a Good Fit
- Small businesses and teams with limited needs and low budgets: RingCentral features advanced capabilities and inclusions that come at higher subscription rates. Those not looking to scale any time soon and need a basic and budget-friendly VoIP solution can check out Ooma instead.
However, freelancers and companies with teams of less than 20 may find Dialpad to be a better provider for their needs. It may not support conference calls for large audiences, but it does offer unlimited calls in the U.S. and Canada.
- Freelancers, solopreneurs, and small teams looking for all-inclusive plans with basic VoIP features: RingCentral’s tiered pricing plans lock some of its advanced features in higher-priced options that may not work for those with tight budgets. Alternatives like GoToConnect, which provides all of its features in each plan, may better fit their needs.
- Those looking for a straightforward VoIP system with flexible and customized pricing plans: Though RingCentral offers a complete communications platform with an exceptional set of features, it may not be a match for those with limited needs. Those looking for a VoIP solution with unlimited messaging and calls may try out Vonage instead. It also offers contact center features and add-on pricing options if the need arises.
- Small companies that need unlimited extensions and users, and do not need customer relationship management (CRM) or project management software integrations: RingCentral offers per-user plans, which may not match those needing unlimited extensions or users. If you don’t prefer the per-user pricing and need mobility without advanced features and integrations, you may look into a more inexpensive alternative like Grasshopper.
- Those needing a budget-friendly phone service with pick-and-choose feature bundles and security compliance: Not all customers need the more advanced features and services that are packed into RingCentral’s fixed tiered plans. Small businesses that are not expecting accelerated growth may appreciate 8×8’s flexible and affordable pricing tiers.
- Small teams, individuals, solopreneurs, and freelancers looking for a free VoIP solution: RingCentral does not offer an open plan, and those who only need basic VoIP features that are provided at no cost may check out Google Voice.
Want to check out other options? Read our guide to the best VoIP apps for business to determine which product matches your needs.
Supports various communication channels, such as video, text messages, and team messaging
Has tons of features that may be overwhelming to some
Great for high call volumes with features like IVR and multilevel auto-attendants
No professional audio greetings included
User-friendly for all skill levels
More expensive than its alternatives
Free demo videos available
Occasional system lags during peak operation hours
Wide range of third-party app integrations
Users reported poor customer service
Use the link below to schedule a call with RingCentral to learn how they can benefit your small business.
RingCentral has four different pricing plans. All plans include visual voicemail, desktop, and mobile apps, document sharing, call management, team messaging, and more. The main differences between the plans are the maximum numbers of users per account, toll-free minutes, and video meeting participants allowed per session, among others.
Businesses that need messaging and phone capabilities
Those who need phone, messaging, and video features
Teams needing a solution with communication and open platform functions
Enterprises that need a complete communication and open platform solution
Video Meeting Participants per Session
Maximum Number of Users
Unlimited Internet Fax
Multisite Admin and Management
Device Status Reports and Alerts
*Rates are based on a subscription with one user only. The more users subscribed to the account, the lower the per-user fees will be.
**Annual plans are paid in full at the beginning of the billing cycle.
- You may add extra vanity numbers for a one-time fee of $30 each.
- An additional toll-free or local phone number costs $4.99 per user, per month.
- Purchase a new international number at a starting price of $5.99 per user, per month.
- An international toll-free number is available for $14.99 per user, per month plus a one-time $25 fee.
RingCentral allows international calls at added per-minute rates that range from 1 cent to 16 cents. Calls to the U.S., Mexico, and Puerto Rico are already included in its plans. Additionally, it offers three cloud-based contact center plans for those looking for a solution with inbound voice, inbound voice and omnichannel, and inbound and outbound voice with omnichannel capabilities, respectively. Prices for these subscription options are available upon request.
RingCentral Glip—a free team messaging and video conferencing software—is also available. This software features a 24-hour meeting duration, support for up to 100 participants, an unlimited number of meetings, and integrations with Microsoft 365 and Google Workspace, among others. Those who need to host up to 200 participants may subscribe to a premium plan ($14.99 per user, per month when billed monthly).
RingCentral users can purchase or lease communications hardware, such as VoIP phones, conference tools, and headsets. Comparison tables are also available on its website to aid those looking for the best option for their needs. Most hardware is available for rental for those with multiyear RingCentral MVP subscription contracts.
Moreover, you can utilize your existing VoIP phones, such as Cisco, Polycom, or Yealink, with RingCentral. A list of the tested phones—supported in the U.S., Canada, and the U.K.—with its platform is available on its website.
Choose from various VoIP phones, including desktop, cordless, adapter, and receptionist, with RingCentral. Brands available are Unify, Polycom, Cisco, and Yealink, and prices range from $3.99 to $34 per hardware, per month, or $129 to $569 (one-time fee). Those interested may contact its sales team for more information.
RingCentral offers Polycom conference phone rentals at $34 to $80 per month, or $699 to $1,699 (one-time fee). These phones provide a 7- to 20-foot microphone pickup that is ideal for small to large conference rooms.
Seven types of headsets from either Voyager or EncorePRO are available. However, the prices aren’t published on its website. The features typically include active or enhanced noise canceling, dynamic mute alert senses and alerts, smart sensor technology, Bluetooth connectivity, and wideband audio.
RingCentral is a cloud-based business phone system accessible across various devices. It is recommended for businesses with accelerated needs that do not mind its pricier subscriptions for the included premium features, even in their base plans.
Unlike some of its competitors, it provides unlimited calls within Canada and the U.S., unlimited business SMS, team messaging, visual voicemail, toll-free minutes, and document sharing on all plans. Though it has a wide range of advanced features, some users may find it overwhelming and complicated trying to learn them all.
Apart from RingCentral’s core capabilities, it also features the following:
- Call recording: RingCentral offers two call recording types—on-demand and automatic—that depend on the plan. On-demand call recording allows Standard plan users to manually record calls through their IP phone provisioned with RingCentral, RingCentral phone for mobile, or a forwarding number. On the other hand, automatic call recording enables Premium and Ultimate plan users to set up its phone system to automatically record inbound calls for departments and both inbound and outbound calls for individuals.
- Number porting: Transfer your existing phone number to RingCentral for free. You may check out our five-step guide on number porting for businesses, where we utilized RingCentral as an example.
- Audio conferencing: RingCentral allows Standard, Premium, and Ultimate plan users to host an unlimited number of conference calls. It supports up to 1,000 attendees and provides every user with a unique participant and host access code. RingCentral is our best overall pick in our best conference call services guide.
- Third-party integrations: Integrate your existing tools with RingCentral for enhanced productivity and to maximize its capabilities. Its app gallery includes Slack, Salesforce, Canvas, Microsoft Dynamics 365, Zendesk, Zoho CRM, and more.
- Analytics: Its analytics portal displays insights on usage, adoption, and quality of service. You may also set up automated alerts to monitor critical parameters and key performance indicators (KPIs), customize real-time dashboards, track all offline and online devices in real time, and more.
RingCentral Call Management
- Multilevel auto-attendant
- Call screening
- Call forwarding
- Call flip
- Call logs
- Call transfer
- Call park
- Overflow call queues
- Call monitor, whisper, barge, and takeover
- Answering rules
RingCentral features a robust set of call management features, ensuring that all calls are answered and customers’ needs are met. You can stay connected anytime and anywhere, as you can access its platform through a VoIP phone, mobile phone, or any computer.
Businesses with large call volumes will benefit from RingCentral’s multilevel auto-attendants. This feature acts as a virtual receptionist that greets callers and directs them to the most appropriate department, number, or employee, according to their specific needs. You may choose customized audio or professionally recorded greetings that will be played to your customers.
Those handling retail businesses can utilize shared lines, allowing any available employee to pick up incoming calls on the nearest RingCentral Polycom phone. This feature makes it easy for mid-size retail and grocery stores, as well as restaurant chains, to handle calls. RingCentral allows up to eight lines and 16 desk phones per group, without limitations on the number of shared-line groups you need.
RingCentral automates call forwarding to any of your phone numbers, such as your personal mobile, home, or office phone number, as well as a group, department, or an extension sequentially or simultaneously.
RingCentral is among our top recommendations for call forwarding providers. You may check out our guide on how call forwarding works and how to utilize it.
RingCentral Phone Number & Extensions
- Local phone numbers with over 200 area codes
- 800, 855,866, 877, and 888 toll-free numbers
- Toll-free vanity phone numbers available
- Phone extensions
- Free phone number porting
All RingCentral MVP plans include business phone or toll-free numbers. Those subscribed to a Standard plan have access to these numbers in over 100 countries. Not all cloud-based business phone systems provide both international calling and phone numbers. That’s why businesses with a global presence will appreciate RingCentral’s international calling and phone number features packed with robust private branch exchange (PBX) software.
Users may purchase a toll-free vanity number that is easier to remember. You may also easily add, remove, or edit extensions for individuals and departments at various locations and across devices.
Those who want to utilize their existing phone numbers may request number porting on RingCentral for free. Get more clarity on business phone numbers through our extensive guide on virtual phone numbers and local, 800, and vanity numbers.
RingCentral Visual Voicemail
- Access from any device
- Voicemail preview
- Voicemail greetings
RingCentral provides each department and phone extension with its own voicemail inbox. Users may access voicemail messages anytime and anywhere through their email, desktop app, desk phone, mobile device, and RingCentral online account. Its software keeps up to 200 combined voicemail messages saved in your account for 30 days.
Notifications are sent to you via email or the app to alert you as soon as your customers leave messages, enabling you to either view or hear them wherever you are. RingCentral also lets you set a default or personalized voicemail greeting.
RingCentral’s visual voicemail displays all the essential information, such as the contact name, duration of the message, caller ID, and more. The first 60 seconds of your voicemails are also transcribed to text for easier review. Messages are sent to your email with the transcription and audio file. Moreover, users may forward any voicemail message to their teammates.
Desktop & Mobile Apps
- Cloud PBX
- Team messaging
- Unlimited file and document sharing
- Video conferencing with advanced screen sharing
- Team collaboration capabilities
RingCentral’s desktop and mobile apps are compatible with Mac, Windows, Android, and iOS devices. These apps enable you to stay connected with your team or customers from anywhere with an internet connection.
- Native integration with Office 365
- Connect calls with CRMs like Salesforce or Zoho CRM
- Add customer service functionality with Zendesk integration
- Integrates with Snap Recordings
Its mobile app lets you manage all communications even when you’re on the go. You can access a wide range of features through your tablet or smartphone, allowing you to configure the company directory, manage greetings, set up call handling rules, and more. You may also access your faxes and voicemails, communicate with your teammates, handle incoming and outgoing calls, and attend video meetings.
RingCentral Ease of Use
- 24/7 support, starting with the Standard plan
- Phone and chat support channels available
- Easy setup
- Minimalist, straightforward interface
- Compatible with desktop and mobile devices
- Guides, demos, and so on
RingCentral is an intuitive and user-friendly software for users of all skill levels. However, since it comes with a wide range of highly customizable features, setting them all up according to your needs may take a while. Note that these configurations are worth the time to set up to make it work best for your specific business needs.
RingCentral is easier to manage and configure than traditional phone systems as it does not require technicians for setup. Moreover, many feature customizations that can be done from the mobile app, not limiting you when working remotely or away from your desk.
Best for: Smaller organizations looking for a powerful yet affordable virtual phone system
Best for: Companies wanting a solid package with a free, professionally recorded voice greeting
Best for: Teams looking to make calls to many different countries at no extra cost
Starting price: $29 per user, monthly
Starting price: $21.95 per user, monthly
Starting price: $12 per user, per month
Not sure if RingCentral is right for you? See how it compares with other popular small business phone systems.
What Users Think of RingCentral
Users and other experts agree with our RingCentral analysis being an excellent virtual phone system with VoIP for small businesses. At the time of publication, RingCentral has earned the following scores on our and other popular user review sites:
- Software Advice: 4.20 out of 5 based on 832 reviews
- G2: 3.8 out of 5 based on 299 reviews
- Capterra: 4.2 out of 5 based on 832 reviews
- GetApp: 4.2 out of 5 based on 832 reviews
GetVoIP.com features a Customer Satisfaction Algorithm that collects user reviews, comments, and opinions on the software and analyzes the data to calculate a score. According to its algorithm, RingCentral has an overall 3.9 out of 5 rating based on 356 reviews, and 69% of users recommend it.
When reading through user reviews, here are some of the trends that I noticed:
Users Don’t Like
Stable and easy to use
Complicated to set up compared with alternatives like Jive and Grasshopper
Poor customer service
Great VoIP clarity and quality
Occasional software crashes and bugs
Has a comprehensive set of features
RingCentral provides a comprehensive communications platform that unifies messages across channels like calls, faxes, voicemails, texts, and emails. Its tiered pricing plans work best for businesses with growing needs. It features an impressive set of call management features that match those with high call volume.
RingCentral’s pricing points may be more expensive than its alternatives in the market. Note that it offers valuable capabilities and third-party app integrations. It also provides premium features in its base plan, such as unlimited calls within the U.S. and Canada, unlike other providers that charge extra fees or offer them with their higher-tiered plans.
Visit RingCentral to request a demo to see it in action and determine if it matches your business needs.