FreightPros is a full-service freight broker that provides access to its database of recommended carriers with discounted rates. Its freight solutions include less-than-truckload (LTL) freight shipping, truckload shipping, temperature-controlled freight, and expedited and time-critical freight solutions. Its pricing is customized, and it’s recommended for small to midsize businesses.
When to Use FreightPros
FreightPros’ brokerage services save shippers a good amount of time and money—making it an excellent choice for small businesses. It has options that appeal to both owners on a tight budget as well as busy entrepreneurs needing to save time.
FreightPros is the highest-ranking freight services provider in our 3PL Buyer’s Guide, and the #1 choice in our guide to the best freight brokers for small businesses. Its platform is designed to accommodate startups, young businesses, and new freight shippers (especially in regards to client support and service options), securing the company’s role as our top recommendation.
In particular, we recommend FreightPros for:
- Freighting small shipments: FreightPros offers LTL freight options that help defray shipping costs when a business’s merchandise is unable to fill an entire truckload. Discounted rates are available for over 70 truck, LTL, and rail carriers.
- Developing young businesses: The company’s consultative approach is designed to optimize freight shipping for each client by recommending ways to improve your processes or reduce your ship spend. This can help startups and small businesses efficiently scale.
- Manufacturers and B2B sellers: FreightPros can help to distribute your goods in bulk using truck freight shipping, intermodal rail shipping, and other custom freight solutions.
- Food, medical products, and other perishables: Temperature-controlled shipping is available through FreightPros to ensure cold chain compliance for goods that require it.
- Shippers on a budget: FreightPros leverages volume discounts and well-established relationships with its partner carriers to get you lower rates than you could achieve on your own. Plus, the company has a “No Hidden Costs” policy which promises that clients pay only actual freight charges.
- Businesses seeking a hands-off approach: The company provides clients with a suite of tools to manage shipments themselves, and offers outsourced labor to schedule, book, and track shipments on your behalf.
When to Use an Alternative
- Ecommerce order fulfillment: FreightPros is a point-to-point freight shipping third-party logistics (3PL) company that deals with freight movement—not long-term storage, managed distribution, or fulfilling online orders. Merchants who want to outsource warehousing, order fulfillment, and shipping for individual online orders can look to ShipBob.
- Well-established businesses: If your operation is developed to the point of having its own shipping department, FreightPros’ services likely won’t be needed. Businesses at this level benefit from fostering their own relationships with partnered carriers.
- Parcel shipping: As a freight 3PL company, FreightPros does not offer general parcel shipping. Order fulfillment companies (such as FedEx Fulfillment) specialize in B2C and general parcel shipping, offering deep discounts and convenient services for package delivery.
Looking for something different? Check out our rankings of the best freight brokers for small businesses.
|Provides a range of discounted quotes for multiple freight-shipping carriers||Reported overcharges|
|Helpful and responsive account managers||No order fulfillment or parcel shipping|
|Informative, cloud-based transportation management system (TMS)||Difficult dispute process|
The role of a freight broker is to act as an intermediary between shippers and carriers. Experienced brokers like FreightPros negotiate and arrange deals for their clients by leveraging well-established relationships with a wide network of carriers.
FreightPros offers the following services and features:
- Shipping: FreightPros brokers LTL freight shipping, as well as truckload, intermodal, expedited, and temperature-controlled freight.
- Discounts: Clients get access to significant savings from the company’s database of qualified and vetted freight carriers thanks to volume discounts and negotiated partnerships.
- Customer service: The company’s “service-first” approach grants each client access to its dedicated sales, solutions, account management, and billing teams. They strive to understand the ins and outs of each customer to provide tailored solutions. Support is available by phone or email Mon-Thurs 7 a.m. – 6 p.m. Central time, and Fri 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. Central time.
- Startup-friendliness and scalability: Whether you have one shipment or 10 dozen shipments in its system, FreightPros delivers account management-level service at every step. The company also works with any client, regardless of shipment frequency.
- Expert resources: FreightPros’ service experts are continually creating and updating a host of informative demos available to clients with the goal of helping them ship smarter. They also make themselves available by phone or email to answer any freight-related questions.
- Management systems: FreightPros’ advanced TMS aggregates all of your logistics information, including pickups, quotes, and tracking.
- Reporting: Online analysis tools allow FreightPros’ clients to view their shipping data and create customized reports.
Graphics from customized shipping reports available through FreightPros’ dashboard
How FreightPros Compares to Other 3PL Companies
Credit Card or Net 15 with approved credit
Credit Card or Net 15 with approved credit
Automatically created when you ship
Created for quotes
Created for quotes
Website Ease of Use
Medium - lots of features
Easy - simple for shipping beginners
Medium - lots of glossaries and FAQ sections
Number of Carriers
100+ national and regional carriers
788,000 major, independent and specialty providers
50+ national and regional carriers
Freight & Service Types
LTL, FTL, rail and various specialty freight
LTL, FTL and various specialty freight and small transport services
LTL, FTL, rail and various specialty freight
Online Resource Rating
Online Resources Available
Blog, e-books, videos, demos and state guides
How-to videos, blog and mobile app
FAQs, state regulations and shipping guides
Phone, email & online form
Phone and online form
Phone and online form
Mon-Thurs 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. Central time, Fri 7 a.m. - 5 p.m. Central time
Mon-Thurs 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. Central time, Fri 7 a.m. - 5 p.m. Central time, Sat 10 a.m.- 4 p.m. Central time
Mon-Fri 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. Eastern time
Quoted Price in Test
FreightPros pricing varies based on the origin, destination, weight of the shipment, and freight class. Most rates for similar providers are also customized. However, estimated freight fees range from $6.55 to $21.98 per pound.
FreightPros fees are built into your freight rates. You select the freight carrier and shipping rate, and that’s what you pay—with no service fees or upcharges for FreightPros’ service. Plus, opening a FreightPros account is completely free.
Added services, such as freight spend analysis, are available and generally free for regular clients as well.
Freight prices are commodity-based and fluctuate daily, factoring in variables like the carrier’s open truck capacity, fuel prices, shipping lanes, and weather.
To learn more about how freight 3PL and broker fees work, visit our freight brokers buyers guide.
FreightPros Key Features
FreightPros’ features are designed to make freight shipping run smoothly—from choosing a freight carrier and getting the most cost-effective pricing to coordinating shipping operations.
Here is a deeper look at FreightPros’ most important features:
Consultative Solutions Approach
The FreightPros team is encouraged to look for ways to help customers move their freight in the most efficient way possible.
Staff is trained to identify potential improvements and offer suggestions to refine processes or reduce shipping costs for their clients.
Cloud-Based Transportation Management System (TMS)
FreightPros’ advanced TMS provides information about freight pickups, shipment tracking, GPS truck tracking, easy freight quotes, and more.
Cloud-Based Freight Hub
The company’s freight hub serves as a central repository for freight information, load history, freight quotes, bill payment, and more. Its online-based system gives insight into previous, pending, and future loads, and gives users the ability to access information at any time and place.
Reporting and Financial Insight with Data Analysis
FreightPros stores and analyzes your relevant shipping data to create a variety of automated processes and reports. Its online tools can develop customized solutions that provide financial insight into the client’s processes and allow users to make changes in favor of their shipping goals. This info is all available on a user-friendly interface.
FreightPros only works with truckload operators that offer a minimum of $100,000 in insurance coverage. This coverage is included in the freight rate.
If a client needs additional coverage, third-party insurance is also available as an additional cost separate from the carrier’s freight quote. A $500 deductible typically applies.
FreightPros strongly recommends using third-party insurance if shipping valuable or fragile material. Payouts are faster with third-party insurance than with carrier freight insurance.
FreightPros Ease of Use
- Support: FreightPros’ platform focuses largely on customer support, taking a proactive approach from the start of each business relationship.
- We reached out to multiple freight brokers—including FreightPros, UShip, and Redhawk Logistics—as businesses requesting quotes. FreightPros was the most responsive and attentive company, reaching out quickly to ask pertinent questions and recommend cost-effective shipping solutions.
- Each client is assigned a dedicated account manager, who is available by phone and email. The role of FreightPros’ support staff is to answer shipping queries, aid in the booking process, and act as a resource to help customers make well-informed decisions.
- Full-service Solutions: FreightPros offers the option to outsource booking, tracking, and managing your freight loads to its staff. This feature allows you to be as hands-on or hands-off as you want.
- Accuracy: Since FreightPros is a broker that connects shippers with freight carriers, the company’s accuracy and error rate play a small part in how your shipments are handled. It’s up to the timeliness and precision of the carrier company to ensure your shipments arrive in the right destination at the right time.
- To mitigate possible delays, you can purchase a guarantee on your shipment through the carrier company. FreightPros can set you up with carriers whose guarantees meet your specifications in regards to timelines and reimbursement.
- Vendor Management: FreightPros offers inbound vendor management solutions to help clients manage their inbound freight processes, such as shipment tracking, bills settling, and more.
- Transparency and Tracking: Customers can easily track their shipments with FreightPros’ web-based system. It provides updated information, such as freight quotations shipment and GPS truck tracking data, and more.
Best for: All-in-one 3PL fulfillment and freight solutions
Best for: Standard small business and crowdfunding fulfillment needs
Best for: Full-service ecommerce marketplace management
Monthly minimum: 400 orders
Monthly minimum: None
Monthly minimum: 1,000 orders
Looking for third-party fulfillment services? Read our guide to the best order fulfillment companies.
What FreightPros Users Think
The majority of FreightPros reviews available online are positive. Most users appreciate the quality of service they received, especially from their account managers who are responsive to shipment queries.
Notwithstanding the company’s “No Hidden Costs” pledge, some users have complained about hidden charges and fees. That complaint doesn’t appear to be widespread, however, as customers rate FreightPros an impressive 4.6 out of 5 stars on TrustPilot, with “no surprises” being the consistent theme in reviews.
Having a “no surprises” reputation is not very common in the brokerage industry, and that speaks to FreightPros’ commitment to service. The company’s proactive approach to overseeing each step of the freight process makes this possible.
Many of the negative FreightPros reviews revolve around shipment delays and service malfunctions—which ultimately fall back on the carrier. A few reviews describe miscommunicated classifications between the client and FreightPros, resulting in inadequate equipment and delayed pickups.
Users Don’t Like
Responsive and effective client support
Hidden fees and overcharges
Ease of use
Shipment classification errors
Fast and consistent shipping
Difficult dispute process
Freight shipping is a complex task that involves many moving parts. Large organizations often have the advantage of a dedicated, in-house shipping department to manage it—but small and midsize businesses can accomplish similar efficiency by outsourcing to a broker like FreightPros.
FreightPros offers competitive pricing with deeply discounted rates, plus industry-leading client support, making it our top recommendation in the freight brokerage arena.
For other 3PL services (like warehousing and fulfillment), FulfillmentCompanies.net can compare your specific needs to 500+ pre-screened companies to find the best fit for your business. Plus, the service is completely free to use.