Although Virginia education mandates are less than other states, the Old Dominion State still requires 60 hours of prelicensing classes to ensure you are knowledgeable about real estate principles and practices before representing clients. More education is then required to renew your license. We’ve examined dozens of online real estate schools in Virginia offering a variety of course formats, interactive features, and reasonable pricing to identify the top six schools to help you embark on or continue your real estate education:
Self-paced education for future agents seeking initial licensing education
Budget-friendly prelicensing courses available in multiple course formats
Free professional development for new or experienced agents seeking to increase their knowledge
Live virtual classroom environment for aspiring agents seeking prelicensing education
Experienced agents who need continuing education to renew their license or courses to upgrade to a broker’s license
Post-licensing courses for first-year Virginia real estate agents
Things you need to know before enrolling for your Virginia real estate license education: Along with education requirements, there are additional steps to completing your real estate licensure. Check out our Step-by-Step Guide to Becoming a Real Estate Agent in Virginia to help you get started.
How We Evaluated the Best Real Estate Schools in Virginia
The Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DOPR) approves high-quality online education as an option for individuals seeking a real estate license, license renewals, or a license upgrade so you can learn on your own schedule. To evaluate which providers have the most high-quality education, we explored online real estate schools with features that foster student engagement, freedom to choose from a variety of classes, offer multiple learning environments, and reasonable pricing.
After researching, we found Kaplan, with a score of 4.27 out of 5, to be the top contender for best online real estate schools in Virginia. Kaplan stands out from its competitors due to its self-paced courses, expert faculty, and its OnDemand package features.
Additional criteria we used to evaluate each school are:
30% of Overall Score
Pricing is based on the cost and availability of pre- and post-licensing, continuing education classes, and exam prep for each online institution.
25% of Overall Score
Consists of various formatting and learning styles for each course to meet the specific needs of the agent, as well as ease of course accessibility.
20% of Overall Score
Based on customer feedback for each program, with particular attention given to reviews of the product and popularity of the provider, to certify the course meets user satisfaction.
15% of Overall Score
Expertise in the field and firsthand experience with the providers allows us to evaluate standout features, value for the money, and ease of use for each school.
10% of Overall Score
We looked into the convenience and attainability of customer service for technical support and instructor assistance.
Kaplan: Best for Self-paced Prelicensing Education
If you are a self-motivated individual seeking initial licensing, Kaplan’s self-paced learning environment is a great choice for you. You can choose from tiered package options that include only required education hours to packages with add-ons like exam prep and live interactive features.
Although they do not offer broker prelicensing education, Kaplan does have courses for post-licensing and continuing education that allow you to customize your experience. You can choose between text-based online content and on demand video learning, as well as bundled packages and individual courses.
Users commended the video content provided in Kaplan’s OnDemand package as extremely helpful in furthering their real estate career. Others wished there was more live interaction to mimic the feel of an in-person classroom environment. If you would prefer live courses as well, check out Advanced School of Real Estate or Real Estate Express.
As a national provider, Kaplan’s expansive course selection offers tiered options that allow customers to choose classes based on format preferences, specific learning needs, and additional features.
Prelicensing: Starting at $210
- Tier 1: $210 Basic package includes the 60 required prelicensing education hours
- Tier 2: $348 Basic package includes 60 prelicensing hours plus exam prep and live webinar
- Tier 3: $548 Career launcher package includes 60 prelicensing hours plus exam prep, live webinar, and live intensive course
Post-licensing: Starting at $19
- Courses can be purchased as a 30-hour bundle for $159
- Individual courses can be purchased from $19 to $39 based on credit hours
Continued Education: Starting at $19
- Available for salespersons or brokers
- Prices range from $19 to $54 based on credit hours
- Classes available in OnDemand or Online packages
Exam Prep: Starting at $99
- Available for salespersons and brokers in OnDemand or Online packages up to $199
Real Estate Express: Most Affordable Education With Course Format Variety
Real Estate Express gives both aspiring and experienced agents more course formats to choose from than its competitors. In addition, their Learning Management System (LMS) navigates you through each learning module, “Smart Bites” aid with knowledge retention, and they provide live instructor questions and answers (Q&A) support to advise and answer your questions in real time.
You can choose self-paced online courses or livestream virtual classes to fit your exact learning needs as you fulfill your Virginia real estate education with Real Estate Express. Also, having the option to customize your package allows you to focus on your particular interests.
Students loved the addition of quizzes to test knowledge at the end of each learning module, and found value in the flexibility of scheduling. Some individuals found the self-paced course difficult because it is text-based, so if this sounds like you, consider Real Estate Express’s livestream course format or try the live virtual environment provided by Advanced School of Real Estate.
Real Estate Express has a wide array of pricing options to coincide with specific learning features, and they also offer the most competitive pricing in Virginia for real estate prelicensing education.
Prelicensing: Starting at $169
All packages include the required 60 prelicensing hours, three e-books, and instructor support.
- The Basics: $169 (includes only the above)
- Exam Preparation: $228 includes everything in The Basics plus “Pass or Don’t Pay” guarantee and exam prep
- Exam Preparation Plus: $346 includes everything in the packages above plus 30 hours of post-licensing courses, dictionary, and live instructor-led Q&A
- Ultimate Learning: $435 includes everything in the packages above plus printed textbook and one-year professional development membership
- Livestream: $435 includes the same features of the “Exam Preparation” package
Post-licensing: Starting at $146
- Post-license Basics: $146 includes 30-hour post-licensing courses, state-approved instructor support, education concierge, and discussion board
- Post-license Book Bundle: $189 includes the above plus printed course textbook
Continued Education: Starting at $10.95*
- CE PLUS membership is $190 and includes 24/7 access, all continuing education (CE) courses for Virginia, on demand library, over 100 job aids, and an education specialist
- Salesperson or broker education available in bundles for $119.95 to $145.95
- Classes can be purchased individually from $10.95 to $99
*Offered through its partner company, McKissock Learning
Exam Prep: $99
Pro tip: Start your real estate education today with a special offer for our readers from Real Estate Express. Use promo code FSB25 for 25% off your purchase.
Northern Virginia Real Estate University: Best Professional Development
No matter what stage you may be at within your real estate career, Northern Virginia Real Estate University can assist in building knowledge with applicable professional development classes―for free.
Real estate classes that teach valuable concepts to enhance your real estate career are all available through on demand video, including Negotiating: Difficult People and Tough Situations, Hire and Train the Perfect Real Estate Assistant, and Screen-to-Screen Selling: Improve Profit Margins, Boost Productivity, and Customize Conversations.
With a nearly perfect customer review rating, Northern Virginia Real Estate University boasts excellent instructor feedback, and many customers stated they passed their exam on the first attempt. If you’re looking for more options as far as pricing and additional features, take a look at The CE Shop or Real Estate Express.
In addition to free professional development classes, local provider Northern Virginia Real Estate University also offers reasonably priced packages and individual courses, although their selection is not as expansive as that offered by national providers.
Prelicensing: Starting at $195
- Virginia Real Estate Principles v6.0: $195 includes quiz questions, interactive activities, scenario-based case studies, unit quizzes, and video files
- Complete Virginia Real Estate Prelicensing Package: $249 includes above plus exam prep
Post-licensing: Starting at $19
- Individual courses for salespersons and brokers for $19 to $39
Continued Education: Starting at $35
- Individual courses for salespersons and brokers for $35 to $49
Exam Prep: $95
Advanced School of Real Estate: Best Live Virtual Prelicensing Courses
Typically, live courses don’t offer as much flexibility in scheduling as self-paced options. However, Advanced School of Real Estate overcomes that obstacle by offering day and night livestream classes over Zoom. In addition, each class focuses on just one topic, so if you can’t make it to a scheduled class, you can make up that module in either a subsequent day or night session.
Furthermore, their live instructor-led Q&A sessions are a valuable resource, giving you the opportunity to learn directly from industry experts in Virginia who can advise and guide you based on their experience. Advanced School of Real Estate does have a self-paced online option, but for those who prefer a live learning environment, their live virtual real estate classes are the perfect choice.
Reviewers praised the instructors and appreciated the real-life examples and humor exhibited in their teaching. A few mentioned they had trouble calling customer support, so for schools with live chat customer support capabilities, check out Kaplan or Act Web Real Estate School.
Unlike national providers, local provider Advanced School of Real Estate offers only prelicensing education, but it does have some tiered options to match your educational needs.
Prelicensing: Starting at $299
All courses offer the required 60 hours of prelicensing education via Zoom or self-paced format, and include live Q&A sessions with instructors, hardcopy textbooks, flexible scheduling, final exam, and flashcards.
- Basic Program: $299 includes above only
- Enhanced Program: $399 includes everything in the Basic Program plus classroom video records and online practice tests
- Ultimate Program: $499 includes everything in the packages above plus exam prep and free class retake
The CE Shop: Best for License Renewal & Upgrading to a Broker License
Even though The CE Shop has prelicensing education for aspiring agents, they also provide great options for experienced agents looking for continuing education or broker prelicensing education. Continuing education options are available for salespeople or brokers, and can be customized to suit your interests for as low as $9 per class. You also can choose from bundled real estate class packages to fulfill your continuing education hours for license renewal.
For agents looking to upgrade to a broker license, The CE Shop offers a bundled self-paced package covering the required 180 hours of DOPR-approved education. The package also includes unlimited practice exams and an exam preparation course to make sure you’re ready to ace your real estate exam on the first attempt.
Many customers stated that The CE Shop had up-to-date content and was easy to utilize, while others didn’t like the self-paced format. If you prefer live instruction, take a look at Real Estate Express.
As a national provider, The CE Shop offers tiered packages as well as individual courses tailored to your educational needs.
Prelicensing: Starting at $209
All prelicensing packages include the 60 required hours of prelicensing education as well as business e-books, career resources, downloadable resources, digital flashcards, real estate glossary, study schedules, and instructor-led webinars.
- Basic: $209 (includes the above items)
- Standard: $269 includes everything in the Basic package plus exam prep and pass guarantee
- Value: $309 also includes everything in the packages above plus a building business course
- Premium: $399 includes everything in the packages above plus 30 hours of post-licensing classes
Post-licensing: Starting at $19
- Individual courses are available from $19 to $59 based on credit hours
- Full, bundled 30-hour package for $149
Broker Prelicensing: $999
- Includes 180 hours of broker prelicensing education, unlimited practice exams, and exam prep
Continued Education: Starting at $9
- Full 16-hour packages can be purchased for $119 for salesperson courses
- Full 24-hour packages can be purchased for $145 for broker courses
- Individual courses can be purchased from $9 to $59 based on credit hours
Exam Prep: Starting at $69
- Salesperson exam packages range from $69 to $119, and you can customize your package for the national or state portion or a combination of both
Act Web Real Estate School: Best Post-licensing Courses
Within your first year of being a licensed real estate agent in Virginia, you are required to complete 30 hours of post-licensing education. To fulfill those course requirements, consider Act Web Real Estate School’s self-paced post-licensing classes.
You can learn on your own schedule and choose from bundled premade packages or individual courses. All classes are created by industry experts and experienced instructional designers to ensure you are getting the best learning experience possible.
With a perfect customer review rating, Act Web Real Estate School’s customers applauded their responsive and knowledgeable instructors, and many said they passed the national and state portions of the real estate exam on the first try. Unfortunately, education is only available for aspiring and newly licensed agents, so if you’re an experienced agent looking for classes for your broker license or continuing education, take a look at The CE Shop or Kaplan.
Since Act Web Real Estate School is a local provider, they only offer a limited selection of courses and price ranges for real estate classes.
Prelicensing: Starting at $229
- Virginia Principles and Practice of Real Estate Package: $229 includes the required 60 hours of prelicensing education
- Virginia Principles and Practice of Real Estate and Exam Prep Package: $289 includes everything above plus exam prep
Post-licensing: Starting at $18
- Individual courses available from $18 to $54 based on credit hours
- Full, bundled 30-hour package for $140
Exam Prep: Staring at $49*
- Salesperson exam packages range from $49 to $89, and you can customize your package for the state portion or a combination of both
*Offered through partner company, CompuCram