This article is part of a larger series on Payroll Services.
ADP TotalSource is a full-featured professional employer organization (PEO) ideal for small and midsize businesses (SMBs) with fewer than 1,000 employees. It offers hire-to-retire HR services, compliance assistance, and complete payroll administration. Certified by the IRS and the Employer Services Assurance Corporation (ESAC), it’s a solid PEO with a strong reputation.
ADP TotalSource Overview
What We Recommend ADP TotalSource For
Whenever we research PEO services and payroll solutions, ADP’s products often make it to our list of recommended solutions—such as best PEO companies and leading Paychex competitors. With over seven decades of experience in HR and payroll, ADP offers a wide range of services and comprehensive HR functions and has helpful and knowledgeable staff.
For those needing expert assistance handling day-to-day HR tasks, the ADP TotalSource solution has all the necessary tools, including payroll, benefits, and technology. It also offers compliance support and access to competitive benefits packages that Fortune 500 companies typically offer their employees.
In short, ADP TotalSource is best for:
- Businesses with special industry-specific HR needs: ADP works with a wide variety of companies and has expertise in rules and compliances for specific industries such as construction, education, hospitality (restaurants), and financial services.
- Companies already using an ADP product: If you use ADP Run or ADP Workforce and are looking to move to a PEO, this is a natural progression and can save you time, money, and hassle on data migration and implementation.
- Businesses that expect to grow: ADP works with large businesses, including international companies. If your company expects to expand, ADP not only provides strategic advice for successful growth but also has a comprehensive solution suite with flexible plans that can accommodate your HR and payroll needs.
- Small businesses in high-profit margin industries: ADP TotalSource targets SMBs with fewer than 1,000 employees. Businesses in industries with high-profit margins—like software and tech companies—usually benefit the most. Over time, they can save money from not hiring in-house HR personnel and offer quality benefits to remain competitive with bigger companies.
When ADP TotalSource Would Not Be a Good Fit
- Cost-conscious businesses needing transparent pricing: ADP TotalSource pricing depends on many factors, including your location. You’ll have to reach out to a rep, get assigned a local contact, and schedule a demo to get a quote. We recommend Justworks if you want a product with straightforward pricing to help you rank your options quicker.
- Companies wanting a simple HR and/or payroll platform: ADP TotalSource’s full-featured solution suite may be too much for those looking for an online solution for basic HR or to pay employees. For more suitable options, check out our HR payroll software and best payroll services guides.
- HR managers who are not tech-savvy: ADP’s software is feature-heavy and not always user-friendly. For a PEO with software that provides a better user experience, read our comprehensive Rippling review.
Top ADP TotalSource Alternatives
Small businesses looking for low-cost, high-functioning PEO services
Businesses needing HR and IT tools with robust integrations
Companies needing diverse benefit options
Monthly fees from
$49 per employee
Since Our Last Update
ADP has been consistently recognized as a leading provider of modern human resource solutions. In 2022, ADP TotalSource’s Intelligent Self Service solution was awarded “Top HR Product” by Human Resource Executive. The solution aims to resolve HR-related problems, including pay, benefits, and time, directly through the mobile app.
ADP TotalSource Pricing
ADP TotalSource’s pricing information isn’t published on its website—and this is typical of most PEO services (Justworks being an exception). It offers custom pricing, wherein ADP considers your geographic location and the features selected when determining the price. The representative we spoke with said its monthly fees start at around $85 per employee.
ADP TotalSource Features
ADP TotalSource is an all-inclusive package of payroll and HR solutions, which means you get plenty of value for your money. Here are some of its essential features.
Human Resources (HR)
ADP TotalSource takes on many of the standard HR tasks like ensuring workplace compliance, employee scheduling and auditing, administering unemployment claims, and managing paid time off (PTO). If you are expanding your business, you can consult with specialists on workforce optimization and get merger and acquisition support. It even provides business expansion tax registration services.
In addition, ADP TotalSource comes with new hire onboarding, background checks, skills assessments, and online document management solutions. You can run compensation analyses and employee engagement surveys. Leadership programs and assimilation training for new managers and online safety awareness courses for employees are available. Furthermore, it offers performance reviews, compensation management, time tracking, and hiring tools with access to a Talent Specialist if you need expert assistance—although these are paid add-ons.
ADP TotalSource offers complete payroll administration, including audit and reconciliation services. Employees are paid either by direct deposit, pay card, or checks (ADP even offers check signing and stuffing services). It tracks PTO and handles all deductions and garnishments. Aside from keeping you compliant with changing rules and regulations, it manages all aspects of taxes—from filing tax forms to year-end reporting (W-2s/1099s) and remitting tax payments to applicable government agencies.
With 500,000+ client employees under its PEO, ADP TotalSource can negotiate with major health insurance carriers for enterprise-level employee benefits—the kind of benefits most small businesses cannot afford. Some of its benefits options include the following:
- Medical, dental, and vision plans
- Flexible spending account (FSA)
- Health savings account (HSA)
- Section 125 POP accounts
- Commuter benefits
- Life and accident insurance plans
- Short- and long-term disability plans
- Health advocacy services
- Employee assistance programs
- Employee discounts
- 401(k) plans
- COBRA administration
- Group legal plan
- Funeral planning services
ADP TotalSource takes care of employee benefits such as administering the programs, deducting the costs from payroll, and ensuring compliance. It also evaluates your benefits each year against your competitors and recommends changes to keep your benefits program attractive to employees and potential hires.
ADP TotalSource is certified by both the IRS and ESAC, which evaluates PEOs on strict criteria for business practices and financial reliability. According to ESAC, only around 9% of PEOs are ESAC-certified as of this writing.
As part of ADP’s PEO services, you get a dedicated team of HR experts who advise you on HR, payroll, benefits, and compliance issues. This includes providing best practices on HR processes, workplace safety consultations, an investigation team for harassment and discrimination claims, and premium support for your employees via the “ADP MyLife” advisors.
Employees can use the ADP online portal and highly rated mobile app (for iOS and Android devices) to view pay, W-2 statements, and benefits. They can also request PTO, track time and attendance, clock in and out, and contact co-workers through the app.
ADP TotalSource Ease of Use
- Full-service implementation
- Dedicated support representative
- 24/7 support
- Online how-to guides
- Proactive compliance help through articles and emails
- Generally easy to use but with a learning curve
For new users, ADP TotalSource handles moving you to its system and assigns a dedicated representative you can contact with questions or concerns. Aside from providing access to HR specialists, it sends emails and alerts to keep you up to date on legislative changes. It even helps you track your employees’ COVID-19 vaccinations and test results.
The software is generally easy to use, although it has a slightly steep learning curve mainly because of its many features. Its interface also looks a bit dated, and some features are hard to find or difficult to navigate such as payroll. A reviewer shared that “payroll is a mess,” especially if you have to give bonuses or have special deductions.
While ADP TotalSource offers robust support options that include online how-to guides, some can be hit and miss. For example, to get help with an employee login issue, we had to answer multiple questions and go to several links, and then were told to talk to our company’s HR support.
What Users Think About ADP TotalSource
Many users who left positive ADP TotalSource reviews online appreciate its reliable customer support, adding that the account specialists assigned to them have been very helpful. Several also like that they have access to a wide range of solutions, from employee onboarding and payroll to employee benefits and compliance tracking.
However, some reviewers said while its support team generally provides good service, contacting a rep can be difficult at times (or that they keep getting moved to a new rep). Others mentioned the software can be overwhelming given its many features and that some features can be challenging to use, like its reporting tool.
|Excellent benefits packages||Overall interface looks dated, and some features are hard to find|
|Helpful account specialists||Difficult-to-use reports section|
|24/7 support||Occasional long wait times when contacting support|
At the time of publication, ADP TotalSource earned the following scores on popular user review sites:
ADP TotalSource serves SMBs employing fewer than 1,000 people that need full-service HR and payroll support. While its pricing isn’t transparent and the software has a steeper learning curve than similar PEO solutions, its dedicated support staff can help you with individual employee issues and strategic concerns for the growth of your company. Sign up for an ADP TotalSource demo today.