Professional voicemail greetings elevate the call experience by inviting customers to continue engaging with your businesses even when no one is available to speak to them directly. Besides projecting a professional brand image, they provide relevant instructions callers need to know or follow in your absence. Voicemail messages can be customized for your personal work phone, main office line, holidays, promotions, and customer service.
Download our template for free professional voicemail greetings and customize them to suit your business needs.
Key Elements of a Professional Voicemail Greeting
The best voicemail message for business contains all the key information your callers frequently want to know while delivering a good first impression. It has to be updated regularly to suit different occasions and convey a better brand image. When writing a professional voicemail greeting script, here are a few elements you need to take note of:
Personal Work Phone Voicemail Greetings
Employees can create their own voicemail greetings for their assigned phone number or extension. When creating an individual voicemail greeting, clearly identify yourself and your company, and let the caller know when you will be able to return their call. Here are professional voicemail greeting examples to use for your personal work phone:
On Another Call
Temporary Out of the Office
Out of the Office (Emergency)
Main Office Line Voicemail Greetings
A professional business voicemail greeting is what callers hear when they dial your main business number. Most business phone systems provide an auto-attendant to redirect callers to the right extension. If that’s not an option, we have other scripts you can use.
Businesses Without an Auto-attendant
We highly recommend setting up a virtual answering service for your office phone system to assist incoming callers outside business hours. RingCentral, the leader in cloud communications, offers an automated phone system that lets you customize your company greeting. You can import a prerecorded audio file or record using your phone or computer microphone.
New Office Location
After Business Hours
Grasshopper is a virtual phone provider that charges a fixed monthly fee for unlimited users, starting at only $31 per month. Aside from its all-inclusive business phone plans, this provider lets you record your company greetings on your own or with the help of professional voice recording services. The Grasshopper Voice Studio enables you to record in multiple languages, and each recording costs $75.
Holiday Voicemail Greetings
The best professional voicemail greeting for holidays communicates the festive mood of the season. Your customers may call your business even when you’re closed on holidays like July 4th or Thanksgiving. Here are a couple of voicemail greetings you can use if they do:
Emergency Holiday Contact
Promotional Voicemail Greetings
Use your voicemail greetings to make special announcements about any promotion, launch, or ongoing sale you’re having. For example, if there’s a significant discount or new product being offered, you could briefly mention it. However, ensure this information doesn’t detract from the core information your caller likely needs, like location and hours of operation.
Customer Service Voicemail Greetings
Every company should pride itself on providing exceptional customer service. Whether you have a dedicated customer support department or call center operation, there will be cases when all your agents may be preoccupied with other calls. Use the voicemail greetings below to leave a favorable impression on your customers.
Tips for Creating a Professional Voicemail Greeting
The best professional voicemail greeting for business gives off a positive image, boosts your credibility, and captures the most important details. Otherwise, a confusing voicemail message may prompt the caller not to leave a message or call you back. Get it right, and your business could leave a good impression. Here are a few tips for creating the best business phone greetings:
- Use a script: Prepare a script to guide you when recording your greeting. Outline all the important details you want to include so you won’t miss the essential points.
- Keep it short: Your caller wants to talk to you, and when they get directed to the voicemail instead, they end up disappointed. Skip straight to what they need to know to save their time.
- Mention any key information: Begin your message with your name to inform the caller that they reached the right person. State clearly when the caller can expect a call back to manage their expectations. Mention your store hours or provide additional information like promotional offers.
- Offer other options: If your caller doesn’t want to leave a message or call back later, offer alternatives to resolve their issues immediately, such as visiting your website or calling a different number.
- Always update: Regularly update your greetings to reflect business, schedule, or employee changes. An outdated version creates an impression that your company is negligent or has gone out of business.
- Hire a professional: Consider hiring a professional voice actor to give the best possible impression to your customers. Business phone systems like Nextiva charge a minimal fee to hire a voice talent to record your phone greetings. Read our guide on the best professional greeting providers for more options.
Nextiva is a cloud phone service for small businesses that combines voice, video, and email, along with productivity and customer experience tools. It partners with Snap Recordings to provide clients with a variety of industry-leading voice talents, including bilingual options. Pricing starts at $80 per 100 words, and an additional fee of $35 applies to the background music if you want to use it for your phone system.
Benefits of Voicemail Greetings to Your Business
Handling business calls promptly and professionally is key to an excellent customer experience. However, it’s not always possible to answer every call that comes in, especially if it’s a holiday or after work hours. Let’s look at the advantages of voicemail greetings for your business phone line.
- Maintains customer communication: You’re bound to lose many important leads when your business is unreachable. With an engaging voicemail greeting, callers are more encouraged to leave a message through your voicemail despite your unavailability.
- Keeps customer support intact: Telling callers that you will return their call after receiving their voicemail provides assurance that their efforts to contact your business won’t go in vain. It demonstrates that you care about their needs and have a plan in place to reach back out to them.
- Establishes a good first impression: A voicemail provides a professional way to communicate with your customers when you are unable to take calls. Combining it with a well-crafted message will help convey a consistent and polished brand image.
Call routing is a call management system that automatically distributes incoming calls based on predefined rules. You can use custom answering rules to have non-urgent calls forwarded directly to your voicemail.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Funny voicemail greetings are usually not the best practice in business communication. However, if your brand’s image is on the non-conventional side, there are instances when funny voicemail greetings could work. Make sure to consult with a small group of customers to get their feedback first.
Voicemail greetings should be short and sweet. Try to limit your voicemail greeting to 30 seconds or less to save customers’ time and patience.
Temporary voicemail greetings allow you to set a voicemail to play for a few hours while you’re away for a short period of time. It doesn’t involve recording your usual personal greeting. The voicemail automatically switches back to the default greeting when the timer runs out.
There are several considerations when recording voicemail greetings for your business. Although they appear like a simple prerecorded audio playback, these messages are essential for establishing credibility and professionalism. Save time and energy by downloading our voicemail greeting templates as a starting point for crafting your own unique message.