This article is part of a larger series on VoIP.
You can buy vanity phone numbers from a standalone provider, but in many cases, it’s easier and less expensive to get vanity numbers from your current (or a new) business phone system provider to save time and money on initial setup. We found the best vanity number providers offering affordable local and 1-800 vanity numbers in plans that include popular business calling features.
According to our research, the top providers for custom local and toll-free 1-800 vanity phone numbers include:
- RingCentral: Best overall and top choice for companies wanting personalized local, toll-free, and global vanity numbers with a unified communications platform
- MightyCall: Best for organizations wanting multiple local and toll-free vanity numbers with every plan purchase
- Grasshopper: Best for small teams looking for easy-to-use, yet feature-rich virtual phone service to use with their vanity phone number
- Phone.com: Best vanity phone number provider for small businesses needing custom local and toll-free vanity numbers with mix-and-match plans
- FreedomVoice: Best for companies needing a free vanity number and a cheap, no-frills monthly plan
- 800.com: Best for businesses requiring a vanity number with a 1-800 prefix, but don’t want to pay additional fees or more robust call management features
- eVoice: Best for teams wanting a vanity number and a free professionally recorded greeting
Best Vanity Phone Number Providers at a Glance
Vanity Phone Number Providers
Starting Price with Vanity Number
Other Virtual Number Options
$29.99 per user, per month plus $4.99 per number
4.68 out of 5
$29.99 per team, per month with 2 toll-free vanity numbers
4.51 out of 5
$29 per month for solopreneurs with 1 toll free vanity phone number
4.44 out of 5
$12.99 per user, per month for 1 toll-free or local vanity number per account
4.12 out of 5
$9.95 per month for 400 minutes and free vanity number
3.73 out of 5
$23 per user, per month for one 1-800 vanity number
3.57 out of 5
$14 per user, per month with an option for a vanity number
3.33 out of 5
RingCentral: Best Overall Vanity Phone Number Provider
*Prices are based on two to 20 users on a monthly plan. Save up to 33% with an annual prepayment and get a volume discount when adding 100 or more users.
RingCentral is a feature-rich business phone system that includes a local or toll-free number with every plan. Once you sign up for a subscription, you can also then select a toll-free vanity number using the mobile app or admin portal. Vanity numbers incur a one-time $30 setup fee and cost $4.99 per month, and it only takes about five business days to complete the process.
In comparison, Grasshopper plans come with a toll-free vanity number, while FreedomVoice offers the quickest turnaround—you can start using your vanity number as soon as 24 hours after signing up. However, neither provide international numbers, whereas RingCentral supports international business numbers (including vanity phone numbers) in more than 100 countries. Explore more features in our RingCentral review.
- Internet fax: As a VoIP and unified communications provider, internet fax is available through RingCentral. In addition to this, you are able to use your vanity number to both send and receive calls (or faxes).
- International options: Expand globally by establishing business phone numbers in more than 100 countries—more than any other provider on our list. Plus, you can forward calls to international employees and make calls worldwide at low rates.
- Collaboration tools: Use RingCentral as a virtual workspace using content sharing tools, interactive video meetings with a whiteboard, and team messaging features.
MightyCall: Best Provider for Multiple Vanity Phone Numbers
*Use a coupon (BESTVOIP30) for 30% off your first three months of service.
MightyCall is a virtual number provider like Grasshopper, rather than a full-fledged VoIP business phone system. A subscription comes with two to 10 phone numbers, including local and toll-free vanity numbers. There’s no setup fee or monthly charge for vanity numbers. Additionally, MightyCall offers international phone numbers in 11 countries.
Because MightyCall is a virtual number provider, you’ll need an existing VoIP, landline, or mobile number to forward calls to. MightyCall is also one of the rare providers that grants completely free vanity numbers. Some of the other providers, such as FreedomVoice and 800.com, offer vanity numbers for no monthly charge, but there is a setup fee.
- Mini CRM: Built-in contact list that stores your customers’ names, email addresses, and multiple phone numbers. Plus, you can add comments to your contact details while importing or exporting lists.
- Call recording and storage: Choose the Standard or Ultimate plan to record an unlimited number of calls and store them for one year in the cloud.
- List-approved routing: Prioritize callers by putting them on a VIP list and create special call routing rules to ensure your top clients get the care they deserve every time.
Grasshopper: Best Vanity Phone Number Provider for Small Teams
*Save more than 10% with annual billing.
Like MightyCall, Grasshopper is a virtual number provider with three plans that include from one to five local or toll-free virtual numbers with your subscription. Grasshopper doesn’t charge an activation fee or require a commitment to pick a vanity number. Simply sign up for a seven-day free trial, choose from various vanity phone numbers, and start testing the service.
Unfortunately, Grasshopper doesn’t provide local vanity numbers or international numbers. In this case, consider RingCentral or Phone.com, as both providers let you pick a local vanity or international phone number. Discover more Grasshopper features by checking out our full Grasshopper phone system review.
- Instant response: If you can’t get to the phone, automatically send your customers an SMS text message from your Grasshopper vanity number. Clients can then reply to your text with callback details or a description of their problem.
- Professional greetings: Create professionally recorded greetings for the virtual receptionist, voicemail greetings, and other announcements using Grasshopper’s in-house studio, which costs $75 for 250 words.
- Voicemail transcription: Unlike other providers, Grasshopper doesn’t lock this feature behind upper-tier plans. All subscriptions transcribe voicemails into text, allowing you to retrieve and read them on your mobile device or computer.
Phone.com: Best Vanity Phone Number Provider for Mix & Match Subscriptions
*Prices are based on a monthly payment. Save up to 20% with annual prepayment and get a volume discount when adding five or more users.
Phone.com offers metered and unlimited calling plans that come with a local, toll-free, or vanity number. When you sign up for an account, you can select a toll-free or local vanity number as your main number.
Unfortunately, vanity phone numbers may incur an expensive one-time setup fee ranging from $99 to $4,995. Additional numbers cost $4.99 per month and are available in 31 global locations. For $15.99 per month, you get a premium rate international number in 15 countries. However, RingCentral still wins for international vanity numbers, with options for more than 100 countries.
Although you can call internationally using Phone.com, it requires a $200 prepayment. If your business makes a lot of international calls, you may prefer RingCentral, which automatically purchases calling credits when you make international business calls.
- Click-to-call: Phone.com has a unique click-to-call reverse-calling vanity number feature. By embedding code on your website, when a prospect or customer clicks on the number, your business actually places a call to them, which can mean a faster, direct connection with a sales rep or customer service agent who is ready to handle their issue.
- Call tagging: Add a tag to each of your menu options, so when your automated system routes the callers to sales or billing, you can see which option they pressed.
- Virtual fax: Turn your cell phone into a fax machine. Upload documents in eight formats, including photos, documents, and portable document formats (PDFs). Complete a cover page and send your fax.
FreedomVoice: Best Vanity Phone Number Provider for No-frills, Cheap Monthly Plans
FreedomVoice is a virtual phone system that offers the quickest activation for vanity numbers, as they’re typically available within 24 hours, although some take up to three days. In contrast, other providers can take up to 10 days. Plus, all plans include a free local, toll-free, or vanity number. If you select a vanity number, you’ll pay a one-time fee of $30. To avoid setup fees, give Grasshopper a try.
- Quick turnaround to set up vanity numbers: While FreedomVoice states that vanity numbers are usually available within three business days, typically, the process takes less than 24 hours.
- Smart number routing: Automatically direct incoming calls to the appropriate agent and configure rules for specific numbers or based on the number called.
- Question and answer (Q&A) voicemail: Turn your voicemail into a self-help tool for customers with the Q&A voicemail feature. You can ask callers questions and provide answers while reducing the time your agents spend on callbacks.
- Call rotation or simultaneous ring: Send incoming calls to all of your connected phones at once or evenly distribute them among agents using call rotation.
800.com: Best Vanity Phone Number Provider With a 1-800 Prefix
*Save more than 20% with annual prepayment.
**800.com waives the activation fee if you sign up for a toll-free vanity number when you open your account.
800.com has a vast selection of toll-free vanity numbers, including those that start with 1-800, making it a great option for those who want to ensure their vanity number includes the most memorable toll-free number prefix. The number picker tool is user-friendly, and vanity numbers are available within three to five days. However, 800.com doesn’t offer local or international phone numbers, whereas RingCentral provides both.
- Full prefix availability: 800.com has a full list of toll-free prefixes for vanity numbers, including 800, 833, 844, 855, 866, 877, and 888 numbers.
- Call recording: Record incoming calls and store them online or download them to your computer. Plus, you can add extra details to your recordings by tagging them for easy search and retrieval later.
- Voicemail-to-email: Send your voicemails to an email address as an audio file. From there, listen to them or forward them to an assistant.
- Call and fax reports: View detailed call and fax logs via your online portal or by exporting a file to your Google Sheets or Excel program and search data by billing period, phone number, or date.
eVoice: Best Vanity Phone Number Provider With a Free Professionally Recorded Greeting
*Save $2 per user, per month with annual billing.
eVoice is perfect for companies wanting multiple numbers per user and completely customizable plans at an affordable price. However, it’s more challenging to secure a vanity number than other providers because eVoice doesn’t have an online number picker. To get a vanity phone number, you must submit a web form or call the provider.
In addition, international phone numbers through eVoice are relatively expensive compared to other providers, costing $29.95 per month. If you want to add vanity phone numbers online, consider MightyCall, as it’s free to get a local or toll-free vanity number. For international needs, select RingCentral to choose from international numbers in more than 100 countries.
- Custom greeting: eVoice is the only vanity number provider on our list offering a professionally recorded greeting with every plan. Choose your language preference and provide a script to receive a professional auto-attendant message.
- Simultaneous or sequential ring: Choose the option that works best for your team, such as having incoming calls to your vanity number ring all phone lines or ring the lines in a predesignated pattern.
- Routing schedules: Create an unlimited number of custom routing schedules for holidays, after-hours, and business hours.
How We Evaluated the Best Vanity Phone Number Providers
We compared various voice-over-internet-protocol (VoIP) and virtual phone number business calling systems offering free or add-on vanity phone numbers to determine which providers deliver the best feature sets and prices. During our evaluation, we rated each business phone system based on the types of phone numbers and features provided while considering overall value, popularity, and ease of use.
RingCentral earns 4.68 out of 5 stars based on our criteria, making it the clear winner as the best vanity phone number provider. The RingCentral platform is user-friendly and serves as a central location for all team and client communications. It also supports business expansion by offering international numbers in more than 100 countries.
RingCentral offers vanity numbers for every prefix (800 through 888), and they make the process of selecting and purchasing vanity numbers very easy. Turnaround is also very quick; it only takes about five business days to get your vanity number up and running.
Learn how we evaluated the best vanity phone number providers by clicking on the tabs below:
15% of Overall Score
We assessed the costs of business plans at each tier while checking for discounts for annual prepayment. Also, providers offering free vanity numbers earned extra points in our evaluation, since cost is nearly always a determining factor for small businesses.
25% of Overall Score
In addition to local and 800 vanity number options, we reviewed business-focused features and awarded points to those providing an auto-attendant, voicemail transcription, and conference calling. In addition, we looked at desktop and mobile apps from each vanity number service.
30% of Overall Score
We examined subscription plans offered by the best vanity phone number providers to see which ones come with number porting and software integrations. Plus, we verified the availability of toll-free numbers, available prefixes, and international numbers.
30% of Overall Score
We based our expert score on our personal use of each phone system along with customer reviews to determine ease of use and popularity. Lastly, we rated each service according to its overall value and scored those with standout features higher.
Vanity phone numbers increase calls to your business because they are memorable, and even more so when they are toll-free. When combined with an excellent business phone system, you can ensure every caller has an outstanding experience by using advanced call handling features and measuring caller metrics.
Our top pick for a vanity number is RingCentral. It offers the most comprehensive feature set out of all the providers on our list, including the ability to add toll-free, local, and international vanity phone numbers. Get started today by signing up for a 30-day free trial.