Phone.com Review 2023: Pricing, Features & Alternatives
This article is part of a larger series on VoIP.
Phone.com is a voice-over-internet-protocol (VoIP) service offering metered and unlimited call plans at a lower price than competitors. Monthly plans start at $14.99 per user, including over 50 business phone features and video conferencing capabilities. Our Phone.com review found it ideal for budget-conscious businesses with low call-volume requirements and those wanting to mix and match plans for greater cost savings.
Phone.com Review: At a Glance
What We Liked
- A la carte features and mix-and-match plans
- Plans include one local, toll-free, or vanity number
- International phone numbers support 39 countries
- Unlimited meeting duration
- No free trial
- Lacks screen sharing feature for mobile devices
- Limited integrations
- Lacks team messaging
When to Use Phone.com
- Fluctuating call volumes: Phone.com is one of our top cheap VoIP services for metered pricing. Its metered plan includes 500 pooled minutes for predictable call volume. If call volume shifts, you can always upgrade to an unlimited plan or purchase additional minutes.
- Marketing campaign tracking: For marketers wanting to assign unique phone numbers to their ads, Phone.com offers volume discounts on phone numbers. One to 10 numbers are $4.99 each, whereas 10 to 49 numbers drop to $4.49 each.
- Professional business line: Phone.com is one of the best VoIP apps for employees on the go. Its softphone app supports voice and video calling with customizable call management features.
When to Use an Alternative
- High participant capacity for video meetings: 8×8 accommodates up to 500 attendees for its video calls, perfect for hosting large-scale virtual meetings.
- Customer relationship management (CRM) integrations: RingCentral integrates with over 200 third-party applications, including Salesforce, Zendesk, and HubSpot.
- Unlimited international calling: GoTo Connect lets you make unmetered calls to 52 countries for free when you upgrade to its Standard plan.
- Bulk call-in lines: Phone.com’s terms of service (ToS) prohibit using the system for bulk calling. Consider Freshdesk, one of the cheapest call center phone systems in the market.
Phone.com Deciding Factors
Phone.com is a budget-friendly business phone system for connecting with your team and customers through voice, video, and text. It features a straightforward interface on the mobile app and browser-based portal. Plus, international phone numbers are available for 39 countries.
Businesses with fluctuating call volumes wanting to mix and match metered and unlimited call plans
Annual or Volume Discounts Available
24/7 support for phone, live chat, and email channels
Phone.com comes with a few missing features, such as team chat, robust integrations, toll-free minutes, and unlimited global calling. Here are the best Phone.com alternatives with more competitive offerings. Take advantage of their free trials to determine the best service for your company.
Companies needing unlimited international calling
Small teams with a limited budget wanting to avoid per-user fees
Businesses needing a full-fledged unified communications solution
Monthly Starting Price (per User)
Looking for more options? Check out our guide on the best small business VoIP services.
Phone.com pricing nearly got a perfect mark for because it has affordable per-user fees and discounts for annual billing and volume purchases. Monthly plans start at $14.99 per user for one to four people, but pricing drops when you add five or more. For greater cost savings, mix and match metered and unmetered versions. The Basic plan includes a preset number of minutes and text messages your team can share.
Phone.com Pricing & Plans
Small teams with light calling and texting volumes
Businesses requiring unlimited calls and texts
Companies needing access to analytics and CRM integrations
50+ Voice Features
Maximum Capacity for Video Meetings
*Pricing is based on one to four users.
Phone.com offers a la carte services for businesses needing specific services. Simply choose the premium feature you like and pay only for what you need. All add-ons include an additional monthly charge to your current plan.
- Live receptionist: Hire a live answering service to handle your business calls. Monthly fees start at $90 for 50 minutes.
- Internet protocol (IP) phone connection: Activating this feature allows Phone.com’s service to work on desk phones, analog phones, and conference phones. Pricing starts at $4.99 per device, monthly.
- International dialing: Phone.com offers one of the lowest rates for overseas calling. Calls to global numbers will incur per-minute rates depending on the country. Note that a $200 prepayment is required to enable this feature.
- Global numbers: Provide your customers outside the U.S. with a local phone number. One international phone number costs $4.99 per month. A monthly fee of $14.99 applies to premium countries like Brazil, Hong Kong, Italy, and Mexico.
- Call recording: Activate call recording for your Basic or Plus plan for a monthly fee of $8 per month.
- Phone numbers: Add local, toll-free, or vanity numbers to your plan for a starting price of $4.99 per device, monthly. Volume discounts apply for bulk purchases.
- Additional minute bundles: Add minutes to your Basic plan to avoid overage charges. Pricing starts at $18.50 per month for 500 minutes.
Phone.com earned a perfect score for this category as it supports over 50 business phone features on all plans. While most providers unlock additional call management capabilities on higher tiers, Phone.com includes all features on the entry-level package. Its mobile app lets you make calls, view voicemails, maintain a separate work inbox, and set up a conference bridge.
Check out other voice features offered by Phone.com:
- Call handling rules
- Call forwarding
- Call blocking
- Call screening
- Call transfer
- Caller ID
- Scheduled greetings
- Automated attendant
- Call logs
- Call notifications
While Phone.com earned high points for its global phone service, it fell short when it comes to third-party app support. Phone.com offers an international calling program that enables businesses to take advantage of cheap global numbers and low-international call rates. However, it doesn’t have an interactive voice response (IVR) and robust integrations. Phone.com integrates with Zapier, so you can still connect your apps to automate workflows.
Click on each item below to discover other Phone.com features:
Conversational Text Messaging
The Phone.com Messages app recreates traditional business texting by providing a chat-like interface for exchanging SMS and MMS messages. Users can start group conversations, search messages, and send images, GIFs, and short videos. Conversational text messaging reinforces personalized communications and a more streamlined workflow.
Connect with your teams or clients via audio and video conferences. During a video meeting, your team can change their backgrounds and share screens or files. Choose the Plus package and access video recording, whiteboard, and meeting lock. The Pro subscription adds video transcription, breakout rooms, and YouTube streaming.
Phone.com is one of the few VoIP solutions with a live answering service. A team of U.S.-based live receptionists will answer your calls and perform attended transfers. They can also take messages, schedule appointments on your behalf, and forward calls to the appropriate destination. The agents are available to answer your business calls from Monday to Friday between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time.
Phone.com offers 24/7 customer service for phone support, live chat, and email help desk. Another contributing factor to its perfect score is the number of positive reviews about the quality of its customer support. Customers described it as very responsive, friendly, and top-notch.
For self-service, chat with Phone.com’s virtual assistant or visit its knowledge base, which contains helpful information on account administration and app settings.
We gave Phone.com another perfect score, this time for ease of use because it is fairly easy to use and deploy, whether from a web browser or mobile app. If you prefer to make calls from a desktop, the Phone.com Communicator is a softphone application that lets you manage your communications easily from your computer. Use it as an extension of your Phone.com account to access your inbox, call logs, and address book.
We gave Phone.com 4.38 out of 5 because it offers many features to help small business owners manage incoming calls and deliver excellent customer experiences. All plans include 50 VoIP features, giving you excellent value for money. New users can start making and receiving calls quickly without a lengthy learning curve. You can also mix and match metered and unmetered plans to create a tailor-fit solution for your business.
Here are the most recent ratings earned by Phone.com on popular review sites:
- TrustRadius: 7.9 out of 10 based on 5 reviews
- G2: 3.3 out of 5 based on 21 reviews
- Capterra: 3.9 out of 5 based on 54 reviews
How We Evaluated Phone.com
We tested Phone.com and checked user feedback on popular review websites. As the basis for our evaluation, we compared it with other popular virtual phone systems in the market. From there, we created a scoring system divided into a set of criteria: pricing, general features, niche features, customer service, ease of use, and expert score.
Learn how we evaluated Phone.com by clicking on the tabs below:
20% of Overall Score
We checked for the availability of a free plan, free trial, and discounts for annual billing and volume purchases. We provide additional points if the provider’s base plan costs $30 or less.
25% of Overall Score
We looked at capabilities essential to a virtual phone system, such as unlimited calls, audio/video conferencing, and a mobile app. We also considered the type of uptime service level agreement (SLA). Phone.com gets an additional point for the availability of any of these features.
20% of Overall Score
We checked the niche features of Phone.com to see the additional value users get by subscribing. In evaluating phone systems, we check if they offer overseas calling, international numbers, and an IVR system. We also give additional points if it has robust integrations.
10% of Overall Score
We assess the quality of customer service by checking the number of hours and days the support team is reachable. Higher points are given if it operates 24/7. We also looked at the availability of customer support channels, including email, phone, and live chat.
10% of Overall Score
We evaluated Phone.com’s user interface based on its usability and the technical skill required to set up and operate its entire platform. We explored its web portal and mobile app and considered the first-hand experience of its users.
15% of Overall Score
We came up with our expert score by comparing Phone.com against other leading virtual phone systems. We also consulted recent Phone.com reviews to see what others say about its features, ease of use, cost-effectiveness, and popularity.
Phone.com is an affordable solution for small businesses thanks to its flexible, mix-and-match subscriptions and a la carte services. Choose from metered and unlimited plans to fit the needs of individual team members and save money. Phone.com reviews speak favorably about the application’s ease of use and extensive feature set. Contact its sales team to request a demo and use promo code “PDCCJ2023” to get 20% off on the first three months.