Automated voice messaging, aka voice broadcasting, sends voice or text messages in bulk, and can also refer to features of interactive voice response (IVR) systems found in business phone systems. Your business can use automated voice messaging to automate tasks, such as reminding customers of past-due bills or delivering discounts to loyal clients or use it to improve business outcomes like reducing missed appointments with automatic reminders.
How Automated Voice Messaging Works
Automated voice messaging works by delivering a prerecorded message to a list of contacts. If a recipient answers, they can listen to the recording. Some systems even let them interact with your phone system’s IVR platform using verbal or keypad commands. Meanwhile, if a call goes to voicemail, your system may be able to leave a custom message, play your prerecorded message, or disconnect.
Many automated voice messaging services include automatic text messaging as well, enabling you to schedule targeted text messages at the best time to reach your customers. The system’s autoresponder feature is especially useful for businesses running campaigns that use keywords or short codes. When a customer texts one of these, an autoresponder texts them back with the next steps or a confirmation while also adding them to the notification list.
Who Automated Voice Messaging Is Right For
An automated voice messaging solution is a good fit for small to large businesses in many industries. It supports communications with both customers and employees while reducing the time spent sending messages. Companies needing to communicate with customers, leads, employees, or job candidates use automated voice messages to improve:
- Customer communications: An outbound automated voice messaging system can send late payment reminders to people with overdue invoices. You can also use it to notify loyal customers of your latest promotion. In comparison, inbound IVR software in your business phone system may also have a menu option for callers to hear your business hours or important messages.
- Qualified lead outreach: Once a lead gives consent for contact, you can use automated voice messaging to reach out with more information about your products or services. Your prerecorded call or text can also provide them with an option to connect to a live salesperson or schedule a callback.
- Group updates for services: Send appointment reminders or notify your afternoon yoga class of cancellation using an automated voice messaging system. This is especially helpful when pandemic-related restrictions change, or there’s an emergency.
- Employee communications: Ask workers to RSVP to meetings, inform them of an office closure, or take a survey or poll using automated voice or text messages. Preset contact lists help you reach multiple team members quickly.
- Interactions with job candidates: Reach out to applicants who’ve signed up for job opening updates from your company with voice messages. You can announce a new job opening and give them the option to schedule a callback. Plus, bulk text messaging tools like Text-Em-All integrate with recruiting software.
Advantages of Automated Voice Messaging
In general, this automated voice messaging gives your business advantages like saving your business labor costs and improves customer and employee interactions. The ability to communicate quickly will also work in your favor, especially for time-sensitive messaging like when recruiting job applicants or conveying emergency information.
Your business may derive several benefits from using automated voice messaging, including:
- Boosting employee productivity: Speed up sales and accounting team workflows using message automation. It saves your staff time and allows them to focus on essential tasks instead of dialing numbers or sending a manual text or email messages for routine and repetitive communication.
- Enhancing customer experiences: Your clients appreciate the type of timely updates that are possible with an automated voice messaging system. In addition, options for a callback or transfer to a live person adds a human touch.
- Increasing profits: According to Text-Em-All, its system sends 5,000 automated voice messages in slightly more than a minute, saving your business valuable labor hours. Meanwhile, the information you collect via automated customer surveys and messaging analytics can be used to optimize operations and experiences that reduce expenses while increasing sales.
Disadvantages of Automated Voice Messaging
Automated voice messaging isn’t right for every company. For instance, messages may be perceived as spam if recipients don’t recognize your phone number, don’t understand why they’re getting messages, or were expecting a human on the other end of the line. Lastly, it may be illegal in some areas if you don’t follow specific rules, including getting consent to make the calls and providing a way for recipients to opt-out of future outreach.
If your business isn’t ready for an automated voice messaging system but you still want a way to respond to missed calls, your current business phone system may suffice. For example, you can use VoIP business phone features like instant response to send text messages when you miss a phone call.
How Providers Handle Automated Voice Messaging
Automated voice messaging services typically offer both pay-as-you-go and subscription plans as well as volume-based discounts. However, providers differ when it comes to features, integrations, and pricing. Check out the following tabs to explore automated voice messaging providers and features.
Text-Em-All integrates with staffing and recruiting software, making it a good choice for keeping job candidates in the loop. It offers pay-as-you-go plans starting at 05 cents per credit with a live transfer feature that works well when your contact list changes monthly. The monthly subscription option begins at $7.50 per month and is better when your list stays about the same each month.
It comes with iOS and Android apps for business owners on the go. Like Dial My Calls, Text-Em-All provides 25 free credits during a free trial and a survey feature.
CallMultiplier offers the lowest pay-per-call rates at 6.9 cents per call, compared to 9 cents for Text-Em-All and 7 cents for Dial My Calls. However, unlike other providers, it lacks surveys, mobile apps, and live transfers.
One of CallMultiplier’s standout features is that it provides polling functionality, so call recipients can use their keypad to answer a yes or no question or choose from callback options. Like Text-Em-All, credits don’t expire, and the monthly subscription plan is for calling a regular group of customers or employees.
DialMyCalls is unique because all packages have a toll-free number and support voice, text, and email broadcasting. It also differs because it offers a subscription for dynamic or stable contact lists. Other features include polls, surveys, and text-to-speech recordings.
Although it lacks live transfers, DialMyCalls is less expensive than Text-Em-All, and the email broadcasting feature is a bonus. Per month, DialMyCalls starts at $6.74 per user and provides users with access to one toll-free number.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is automated voice messaging legal?
Automated voice messaging is legal when you follow best practices, applicable laws, and terms of service. Many automated voice messaging services require consent from call recipients or specifically say the software can’t be used for marketing promotions. Additionally, local, state, or federal guidelines may prohibit messaging or require voice messages to explain how to opt-out of the service.
How do I send an automated voice message?
Send an automated voice message by signing up for a service and recording a voice or text message. Upload your file to the automated messaging system, import your contact list, and schedule a time to send the messages. Once you click submit, the automated voice messaging service does the rest.
What is mobile voice messaging?
Mobile voice messaging is when you record an audio message on your cellphone and forward it to a recipient. When using an iPhone, this feature is in your text messaging app with a recording icon. On an Android device, you can send audio clips through Google’s messenger app or Google Assistant. Automated messaging services also let you send voice and text messages to both mobile and landline phone numbers.
Automated voice messaging is an inexpensive way to communicate with customers, job applicants, and employees. It can save your company time and money while also improving transparency and customer experiences.
Reach out to your customers using a service like Text-Em-All, which offers 25 free credits with no credit card required. Your free trial gives you the opportunity to see if it suits your business needs before choosing a monthly subscription or pay-per-call plan.