The best property management software for small businesses boasts listing syndication, maintenance management, tenant application and screening, and online rent collecting. These tools make managing rental properties more efficient for landlords. Additionally, property management software offers mobile apps with owner and tenant portals, improving accessibility and effectiveness of communication. We assessed dozens of providers to identify the eight best solutions based on features, price, ease of use, and customer support.
- Best for robust features and an intuitive interface: Appfolio
- Best for free real estate websites: Rentec Direct
- Best all-in-one software for small business: DoorLoop
- Best for mobile app users: TenantCloud
- Best easy-to-use software: SimplifyEm
- Best for independent landlords: Avail
- Best for tenant screening: RentRedi
- Best for affordable paid plans: TurboTenant
The options above focus mostly on long-term rentals. Consider Beyond if you’re looking for short-term property management software for your vacation rentals. With Beyond, landlords can build and manage their own booking sites and sync their vacation homes across multiple platforms. In addition, review data on your portfolio’s performance to guarantee you’re making the right decisions for your properties.
Best Property Management Software for Small Business at a Glance
Monthly Starting Price
$1.40 per unit
Phone, email, and live chat
$41 per account
(if billed annually)
Phone and email
$24.50 per account for the first two months, $49 after that (if billed yearly)
Phone, email, and live chat
$12 per account
(if billed annually)
Phone and email
$35 for up to 10 units
Phone and email
Free; paid plan starts at $7 per unit
Phone, email, and live chat
$19.95 per account
Phone, email, and live chat
Free; paid plan starts at $10.75
Email and live chat
There are many property management systems available to property owners to help manage their properties. Take our quiz to see what the best fit is for you:
Which Property Management Software is Right For You?
Property Management Software vs Property Management CRM
Property management software, like those mentioned in this article, are designed for the ongoing needs of current managers, like syndicating listings, managing maintenance, tenant, and collecting rent online. In contrast, property management customer relationship management (CRM) tools focus on managing leads and contacts, which helps property managers and investors find and maintain high-quality tenants.
Read our 6 Best Property Management CRMs 2023 guide for more details.
Appfolio: Best for Robust Features & Intuitive Interface
Our Expert Opinion on Appfolio
AppFolio is a comprehensive real estate management software for small business designed to streamline and automate basic tasks from accounting to marketing. It provides you and your property management team with the tools to provide outstanding service to residents and property owners through its simple, user-friendly interface. Its software includes everything you need to manage and develop your business, from listing to maintenance, whether you handle residential or commercial properties.
Be it in the office or on the road, you can access the same data and reports on your mobile app to quickly turn plans into action. And, with the ever-expanding AppFolio Stack™ integration marketplace, you can link your favorite property management tools to AppFolio to increase your efficiency and run your business from a centralized system of record. AppFolio could improve its services by providing online signature tools and a free trial.
- Accounting suite: It includes billing and invoicing, payment processing with multiple payment methods, online rent payments, and late fee calculation features.
- Community management: The calendar, committee, and event management tools can be used by community managers of HOAs, condos, and multi-family housing for scheduling meetings and updating every community member about what is happening in their association.
- Tenant portal: Allows you to communicate with tenants regarding maintenance, answer questions, and collect rent payments.
- Owner portal: Enables property owners to generate valuable reports and print checks from one central location.
Appfolio received a 4.5 out of 5 customer review rating. Based on one user, Appfolio provides plenty of tools that help her streamline their processes. Its ability to automate tasks and accept payments online has been invaluable. She also appreciates the ability to add notes and write detailed information. Another user also praised its very intuitive software, easy to learn, and constantly being updated with improvements.
However, one user expressed dissatisfaction with its lack of notifications, saying that the notifications that come through his email feel unorganized and there are too many. A property manager also wished the chat feature would be available more often as she sometimes has a quick question. If you need 24/7 customer support, consider Doorloop or RentRedi.
Rentec Direct: Best for Free Professional Real Estate Website
Our Expert Opinion on Rentec Direct
Rentec Direct is a real estate rental management property software that offers a free responsive professional real estate website to promote your company and brand. This website fully integrates with your software to publish vacancies quickly, allow tenants to pay rent online, and give tenants and owners one-click access to their portals. Your free property management website includes a custom web address, fully customizable pages, multiple mobile-compatible themes, and Google Analytics support.
Tenant screening reports are available to help you choose the best tenants for your properties. You can pull credit and criminal background reports, nationwide eviction searches, and Social Security number (SSN) validation using its tenant screening solution. Plus, with its online rental applications, you can streamline the process and fill your vacancies faster for qualified applicants. Rentec Direct can be improved by offering 24/7 and live chat support so users’ questions and issues can be answered and addressed promptly.
- Electronic lease: Allows users to create and upload custom lease documents and electronically send them to tenants for review and to sign online.
- Work order: Enables users to assign vendors, attach photos, bids, and invoices, and contact owners to report maintenance issues.
- Email and text messaging: Rentec Direct offers built-in messaging capabilities, allowing you to keep in touch with your tenants, vendors, and property owners.
- QuickBooks import: Rentec Direct is a property management software that integrates with QuickBooks and offers a QuickBooks compatible export of reports, so you can easily import your Rentec data, like general ledger and financial reports, into QuickBooks.
Rentec Direct obtained a 4.6 out of 5 customer review rating for its team collaboration tools, affordable pricing, and intuitive platform. A property manager remarked that Rentec had simplified her tenants’ lease management and payment system, which has been an enormous time-saver.
Yet, many users are unhappy with Rentec Direct’s services. One user said there are glitches in the software, and customer support is always delayed. Another user also wished for the tutorials to be more comprehensive and for extensive customer support. Check out Appfolio for its vast customer support and property management features.
DoorLoop: Best All-in-one Property Management Software
Our Expert Opinion on DoorLoop
DoorLoop is property management software for small enterprises that provides an all-in-one solution for managing your properties strategically and efficiently. You can list your vacant units online, have tenants submit online rental applications, run automatic tenant screening and background checks, sign lease agreements online, collect rent, handle maintenance requests, and manage your accounting. These are all integrated into a very user-friendly dashboard to quickly access any desired feature.
Additionally, you are not limited to managing only residential and commercial properties. DoorLoop can manage community associations, workforce housing, student housing, and mobile homes. Another fantastic advantage of DoorLoop is that it is global, so the platform can handle any property, international location, and currency. DoorLoop has a lot of capabilities for managing properties, but it might be even better if it offered vacancy reports.
- Owner portal: You can securely share files, provide timely updates with your tenants, and track all your tenant and lease information.
- Integrations: DoorLoop integrates with thousands of software from accounting to calendar platforms, including Calendly, QuickBooks Online, Zapier, Pipedrive, Zoom, and DocuSign.
- Bank sync: This is powered by Plaid, allowing you to integrate your bank account, credit card, or debit card with DoorLoop to easily categorize and reconcile your transactions.
- Reports: DoorLoop has built in over 60 customizable reports specifically for property management—including rent roll, deposits, profit and loss statement, and balance sheet.
Many users praised DoorLoop’s easy-to-use interface, excellent customer service, highly secured system, and comprehensive features. Another user also commended DoorLoop since it enables property managers and landlords to efficiently manage properties, track rent payments, and communicate with tenants. As a result, DoorLoop garnered a 4.8 out of 5 customer review rating.
However, many users wished the Rent Roll feature, which shows the rental income from any real estate asset, could be improved by allowing date selection and the ability to send longer text messages for tenant communications or announcements. Aside from these, users desired more affordable pricing. Try Appfolio, Avail, and TurboTenant for free or inexpensive residential and commercial property management software for small business operations.
TenantCloud: Best for Mobile App
Our Expert Opinion on TenantCloud
TenantCloud provides a mobile app that landlords, property managers, renters, and owners can download. If you’re frequently on the go, this is the perfect solution since you may easily access and track your properties, leases, and finances on your tablet and mobile device. TenantCloud’s maintenance management system enables landlords to manage maintenance issues online. Landlords can get videos and pictures of maintenance requests from tenants, connect with service pros, send messages, and manage invoices.
In addition, TenantCloud offers a real estate listing website that syndicates with several well-known websites, such as Apartments.com, Zillow, and Facebook Marketplace through Rentler. This will give your listings tons of visibility, which will help you attract potential tenants. TenantCloud allows landlords to draft leases and documents and have them digitally signed. State-specific lease templates are also provided, following each state’s lease regulations. For TenantCloud to improve, it can offer 24/7 and live customer support.
- Financial reports: This provides landlords with comprehensive reports and statements for taxes, tenants, properties, and leases.
- Online rent collection: With the free TenantCloud account, landlords can accept credit and debit card payments through Stripe payment processing or automated clearing house (ACH) transactions provided by Dwolla. Tenants can also pay rent using PayPal accounts.
- Accounting software: This allows landlords to store, sort, retrieve, and summarize financial data. Landlords can also set up automatic invoicing, late fees, and receipts.
- TC Messenger: Using this built-in communication tool, landlords and tenants can communicate securely without relying on email or texting; landlords can organize tenant conversations as well.
- Tenant screening: Through its partnership with TransUnion, landlords can have a comprehensive screening report, including background and credit checks, plus a National Eviction Records search.
TenantCloud garnered a customer rating review of 4.2 out of 5. One user commented that the simple design makes using the platform efficient and that running independent leases is straightforward. Customer support tickets are also answered quickly, with plenty of user and landlord notification options. Another landlord also loves the auto-rental collection feature, saying that it saves him from all the trouble of collecting funds.
Nevertheless, one user wished for the interface to be a bit more intuitive and hoped that there was the ability to send out things like cosigner agreements to non-tenant contacts. Aside from these, TenantCloud doesn’t offer 24/7 and live chat support, so we recommend Appfolio for its extensive customer support.
Read how our experts feel about this property management software in our TenantCloud Review.
SimplifyEm: Best Easy-to-use Online Property Management Software
Our Expert Opinion on SimplifyEm
SimplifyEm is a user-friendly, cloud-based property management software for landlords and property managers with up to 2,000 units. It does not require rigorous training or extra tool knowledge to set up an account and operate. SimplifyEm is a web-based app that allows users to access their dashboard anywhere online. It enables property owners to have better visibility of their occupied and vacant units with its tools to capture tenant details, monitor insurance, track deadlines, create invoices, and collect online rent payments.
SimplifyEm’s accounting module manages accounts payable and receivable, recurring rent charges, and transaction history. The software generates monthly statements and exports rent records to integrated applications, such as QuickBooks and Excel. Property owners can also send bulk notices or group emails to all tenants for maintenance alerts or site visits. SimplifyEm could improve by offering a mobile app to allow users to access their accounts anytime, anywhere.
- Tenant portal: Gives online access to tenants so they can update bank settings, review account balances, submit electronic payments, view rent reminders, and pay rent on time.
- Automatic tenant billing and late payment notices: Enables landlords to set automated rent reminders for all tenants, track billing history, and send late payment notices to tenants when they don’t pay their rent.
- Tax report: SimplifyEm organizes income and expense transactions per IRS tax categories. A tax report is generated automatically, allowing you to make year-end adjustments.
- Rental listings: SimplifyEm automatically posts listings to Zillow, Trulia, HotPads, Craigslist, and realtor.com to build a solid online presence and get tenants faster.
- Professional website: Each listing on SimplifyEm has a professional web page that can be shared and utilized on your website.
Users commented on how easy it is to use SimplifyEm and its customer support team, saying that it is always quick to answer any questions they ask. A user said she loves processing tenants through SimplifyEm’s setup and rent collection since it is easy, secure, and quick. As a result, SimplifyEm received a 4.06 out of 5 customer review rating.
Yet, some users are unsatisfied with SimplifyEm since it doesn’t offer a free subscription plan or mobile app. If these features are essential to you, consider TurboTenant or Avail. Aside from the free plan and a mobile app, Avail also offers a tenant portal and third-party integrations.
Avail: Best for Independent Landlords
Our Expert Opinion on Avail
Avail is a free rental management software designed for independent landlords who handle their property or portfolio themselves. With its user-friendly platform, independent landlords can efficiently find renters to fill vacancies, sign leases, check credit histories, and collect rent from a single interface. Also, it offers a free subscription plan, but its included features are limited to only basic property management services like applicant screening, online rent payments, and maintenance tracking.
Landlords can easily request rental applications with crucial information like contact details, employment histories, and residence histories that help determine whether the potential tenant is qualified to live in the rental property. The platform also simplifies communication between landlords and tenants by allowing landlords to schedule tours with prospective tenants, ask prescreening questions, and manage maintenance issues from current clients. However, Avail can be improved by providing a mobile app.
- FastPay: With Avail FastPay, landlords can manage rental income with next-day expedited rent payment processing.
- Rent price analysis: This provides valuable information, including a rent estimate for your property, rent benchmarks for adjacent rentals, and county rent trends.
- Marketing tools: It syndicates listings to sites such as Zillow, Trulia, and Apartments.com. Landlords can also easily add listing information and upload photos of their properties.
- Property accounting software: This helps landlords streamline rental property income and expense tracking. It also automatically populates payments and property maintenance expenses logged through the Avail dashboard.
- Leasing features: Includes state-specific lease templates, electronic signatures, and the ability to store documents online. It notifies tenants when their rent is due and follows up if tenants fail to pay on time.
Avail has a customer rating of 4.59 out of 5 stars. The dashboard was praised by most landlords and tenants for being user-friendly and visually appealing. They appreciate the tool for easily tracking and maintaining income processing and late fee notifications. Many users are happy with the free plan, extensive customer service, and the option to create a lease using templates.
Regardless, many users complained about the weekly automated emails they receive and the lack of software tutorials. Users also wished for more flexibility with the mobile app. If you need a flexible and robust mobile app, consider TenantCloud.
Read how our experts feel about this property management software in our Avail Review.
RentRedi: Best for Tenant Screening
Our Expert Opinion on RentRedi
RentRedi is a property management platform for small businesses that simplifies rent processing, applicant screening, rent collection, and listing properties on websites like Realtor.com and Zillow on a single platform. Property managers and landlords can carry out prescreening assessments, keep track of prospective renters’ criminal histories, look up their financial situation, and access employment and rental history with the help of RentRedi’s prequalification module.
Also, landlords can check payment history, set up late fees, send tenants automatic rent reminders, and collect rent, deposits, and other fees. RentRedi is also a property management software that integrates with QuickBooks and other third-party solutions, including Zillow, Trulia, and Doorsteps. Users can also communicate with packers through RentRedi to get help relocating their belongings. RentRedi can be improved by adding vacancy reports and automated reference checks.
- Rent collection: RentRedi provides flexible payment options (bank accounts, ACH, credit card, and cash) and lets landlords receive payments in as quickly as four to five business days.
- Maintenance: In the RentRedi maintenance request dashboard, you can see the timeline status of the activity of all maintenance requests. Plus, status requests are sent to tenants automatically.
- Market listing properties: Listings from RentRedi are instantly syndicated to its partner site, Realtor.com. Additionally, you may publish links to your listings on social media and websites like Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist and syndicate them to Zillow.
- E-sign lease: A lease or other document can be uploaded, shared, or sent for signatures. Use the RentRedi Tenant App to contact tenants and obtain their legally binding signature, or upload a signed lease to keep it with the tenant’s profile.
RentRedi received a 4.4 out of 5 customer review ratings for its tenant screening, maintenance module, accounting, and online rent collection solutions. Many users also praised its customer support team, saying it’s quick to respond and incredibly helpful when issues arise.
However, several users are pretty displeased with the lack of ease in reviewing payments or creating reports to match rent payments with accounting software. Users have to go to the settings’ back-end to see when payments are made. If you need intuitive accounting reporting, check out SimplifyEm.
TurboTenant: Most Affordable Property Management Software
Our Expert Opinion on TurboTenant
TurboTenant offers a free plan and affordable monthly subscription plan starting at $8.25. All subscription plans cover unlimited properties and includes lead management, tenant screening, online rent collection, document managing, maintenance requests, and expense tracking features. Property owners can customize their plan and pay per an a la carte menu of additional features, like e-signatures and lease addendums, starting at $15. TurboTenant also allows you to create dedicated listing pages and send bulk tenant messages from a single inbox.
Landlords can also advertise a vacant property across multiple platforms with a single click by integrating with Facebook Marketplace, Apartment List, and Realtor.com. Furthermore, landlords can screen tenants through TransUnion, send and sign all documents online via the platform, and send payment online for faster and easier transactions. Although the platform contains comprehensive property management solutions, it could improve by adding a free trial and team collaboration tools.
- Free online rental application form: Helps landlords streamline their process to find the best tenant quickly by managing their property online.
- Rental lease agreement: Designed by lawyers and landlords, it includes all the provisions required to comply with your state’s landlord-tenant laws.
- Lead tracking: Automatically shows you the potential renters who are interested in your property. Also, it provides property owners with potential renters’ information so users can contact them if they have any questions.
- Easy Craigslist posting: Provides landlords with personalized ads that are professional and clear to make your property stand out. You can then log in to Craigslist and copy-paste the ads.
- Free rent estimate report: Enables landlords to compare their rent with nearby rental properties, stay ahead of market trends, and price their rental right.
Many landlords appreciate the easy-to-use, intuitive interface, invoice tracker, online rent collection, and tenant portal of TurboTenant. Landlords stated that because TurboTenant allows prospective renters to communicate with them through the platform, and listing and generating leads for their rental properties become simple and easy. With this, TurboTenant garnered a 4.6 out of 5 customer review rating.
Some clients are unsatisfied as TurboTenant only provides email and live chat customer support. Check out Rentec Direct, DoorLoop, or RentRedi if you need these features.
Read how our experts feel about this property management software in our TurboTenant Review.
How We Evaluated the Best Property Management Software for Small Business
We considered dozens of property management solutions for small businesses and chose the top six based on their pricing structure, features, and property management system reviews. After a thorough evaluation, we discovered that Appfolio is the best-rated property management platform at 4.97 out of 5.
Appfolio was ranked first due to its intuitive interface and robust property management features like a free real estate business listing website, listing syndication, maintenance management system, and accounting software. Aside from these, Appfolio offers a mobile app and tenant and owner portals.
Other factors we examined to evaluate the best property management software for small businesses include:
20% of Overall Score
Pricing is based on the cost structure and a la carte options of property management services for landlords and tenants.
30% of Overall Score
Based on various property management features offered that help landlords and property managers simplify list and market properties, screen tenants, and track financials
15% of Overall Score
Based on various tenant communication features offered that help landlords and property managers to engage and connect with their tenants
10% of Overall Score
Based on how easy it is to navigate the provider interface and if it provides hassle-free transactions and communication between property owners and tenants
5% of Overall Score
We looked into the convenience and attainability of customer service for technical support, onboarding, and training.
10% of Overall Score
Based on customer feedback for each program, with particular attention given to reviews of the product and popularity of the provider, to certify the course meets user satisfaction.
10% of Overall Score
Expertise in the field and firsthand experience with the providers allow us to evaluate the standout features, value for the money, and ease of use of property management software.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Property management software is a collection of services that assists landlords, property managers, and real estate professionals in tracking leases, residents, and maintenance activities, as well as collecting rent and managing funds to decrease expenses and streamline operations.
Property management software can be used and is valuable for any property owner, from amateur real estate investors with small rental portfolios to major commercial property management organizations. These applications can also be helpful to a do-it-yourself (DIY) investor and a group of owners, property managers, facility managers, and leasing agencies.
Most property management software has a monthly fee per unit. Prices might range from $1 to $10 per unit, depending on the quantity and extent of platform features utilized. For more basic systems, users should expect to pay from $10 to $30 per month, depending on the number of units within the property. But for more comprehensive providers, prices can go from $50 to more than $100 per month.