Oyster and Remote are global HR software platforms that cater to hiring and paying remote and international employees. They specialize in employer-of-record (EoR) services and provide all-in-one solutions to help hire, pay, and manage global employees and contractors.
- Oyster: Best for small businesses that need global employee onboarding and contractor services
- Remote: Best for small businesses needing low-cost employer-of-record and HR services
Our comparison puts Remote as the clear leader for EoR services, popularity, and HR features. However, Oyster is a standout in payroll services and does offer a better price for hiring contractors. Below we compare the two side-by-side.
Oyster vs Remote: Compared
✕, can explore the software for free
✓, available for Contractor services only
Access to Local Benefits
✓, additional fee
Time Off Management
Uses Third-party Legal Compliance
Automated Payroll Based on Country Currency
When to Use Oyster & Remote
Alternatives to Oyster & Remote
Oyster HR or Remote may not be the best HR software for your small business. If you’re looking for something else, consider the following alternatives.
IT and tech-heavy companies that need global HR features and PEO services
Small businesses that plan to grow into a global company
Small businesses needing immigration services and work permits
$599 per employee
$650 per employee monthly
Need US-based HR software provider options? Read our Best HR Software for Small Business and Best Free HR Software guides for our top recommendations. If you aren’t sure what HR features are suitable for your small business, visit our Types of HR Software ultimate guide.
Best for Pricing: Oyster
Employee Monthly Pricing
$599 per employee ($499 if billed annually)
Starting at $599 per employee
Contractor Monthly Pricing
$0 for the first month, then $29 per contractor
$29 per contractor
$50 per employee monthly
Advanced HR Features Pricing
Health Plans: starting at $82.30 per employee
1 month of the new hire’s total cost of services
1 month of the total cost of employment
If you are looking to pay contractors, Oyster will deliver a better bang for your buck. Your first month for contractors is free, and then only $29 per contractor monthly after that. Additionally, if you need to hire and pay employees, Oyster offers a discounted rate of $499 per employee monthly if paid annually.
Oyster’s EoR prices vary by country, whereas Remote offers transparent pricing at $599 per employee monthly for their EoR services. However, with its payroll processing included and the first month of contractor services free, Oyster is the clear winner.
Remote’s pricing, however, is comparable to Oyster in most areas. Plus, a standout feature of Remote is its HRIS product, which is available free of charge with any plan. This service offers guided onboarding and offboarding, employee profile and document management, time and attendance (time off and tracking), expense management and reimbursement, and employee self-service on the platform and mobile app.
Need more info on onboarding your employees? Read our article on New Employee Onboarding Best Practices.
Best for HR Features: Remote
Included in pricing
Varies by country
Only pay for contractors you use
First month free
Custom checklists and progress tracking
Fast onboarding with country-specific benefits packages
Part of their free HRIS services
Expenses and payroll are part of their regular monthly pricing
Employee Relocation Services
Cover compliance and paperwork
Uses third-party services and only available in a few countries
Remote outshines Oyster with its collection of HR features offered. The following are the most notable.
- EoR Services: Remote’s most notable feature is its EoR services, which are included in its monthly pricing. You can hire contractors and employees in over 190 countries while Remote remains the only legal entity. Oyster also offers EoR services—however, pricing is customized and services are managed through third-party providers.
- Contractor Management: While Oyster offers a little bit better services when it comes to contractors with its first month free, with Remote, you only pay for contractors you actively work with, plus you can hire in 180+ countries. Remote also allows you to create, edit, and sign customized, compliant contracts and approve contractor invoices with one click.
- Onboarding: With Remote, each hire receives a custom onboarding checklist to complete their personal information and payment preferences. Additionally, employers have full visibility to track each new hire’s progress. Oyster offers automations and insights for reduced onboarding time.
- Expense Management: Employees can easily submit their own expenses for reimbursement on the Remote platform through its HRIS product, allowing for quick approval and timely payments. Alternatively, Oyster allows you to set up global payroll and manage expenses and allowances as part of their monthly pricing.
- Employee Relocation Services: Remote’s relocation services cover visa guidance, compliance, sponsorship, and more. Additionally, employees can travel letter requests, insurance, and relocation assistance. While Oyster also offers relocation assistance, it sends your employee’s information to third-party providers to handle the requests; and it is only available in a few countries.
Best for Payroll: Oyster
Included in monthly plan
$50 per employee monthly
# of Currencies Available
Payroll Handled In-House
With Oyster, you can manage payroll, generate reports, and deliver compliant, on-time international payments all in one platform—and, it’s included in its monthly payment. Remote, on the other hand, also provides payroll services, but at $50 per employee monthly.
If you are looking for alternative payroll providers, consider our Best Payroll Services for Small Businesses article.
Oyster’s payroll is housed in one platform with payout options in over 120 currencies, allowing you to pay employees and contractors in more countries. And, it will bill you with only one invoice for all your payroll. All you need to do is pay one lump sum to cover your entire team’s salaries, and the provider will make sure it’s divided and paid out in the preferred currency. While Remote offers more currencies, their payout options are handled through a third-party provider, Wise.
Learn more about how to pay independent contractors in our comprehensive guide.
Best for Popularity & Customer Satisfaction: Remote
Average User Ratings*
4.65 out of 5
4.5 out of 5
Number of Reviews*
* Data collected from third-party sites (G2, Capterra)
Both Remote and Oyster have high scores for popularity on sites like G2 and Capterra, with an average rating of 4.65 and 4.5 out of 5, respectively. With Remote, users like the quick and easy enrollment process and the use of a dedicated representative for onboarding. Meanwhile, Oyster users appreciate its value for the money and built-in documentation collection.
Where Oyster fails with most users is its use of third-party providers to handle its EoR services and its lack of a dedicated representative. Additionally, it does not offer live customer service, only offering support by email—however, users do say response is fast. With Remote, on the other hand, users complain about its limited reporting capabilities and difficulty with contract documents.
Remote vs Oyster: How We Evaluated
When considering which HR software would work best for small businesses (Oyster vs Remote), we looked at the pricing of each software, best HR features, how each handles payroll, and overall popularity and customer satisfaction. We reviewed each provider’s software to determine which would be best to handle your specific HR needs and took a look at what users say they like and dislike about the software.
Oyster and Remote are neck-and-neck when it comes to comparing the two. Which one you choose will come down to the type of HR services you need, payroll features, and EoR services. Based on those, we recommend Remote slightly over Oyster for hiring and paying global employees, whereas we recommend Oyster when it comes to hiring and paying global contractors.