Bakery point-of-sale (POS) systems have all the functions of a traditional retail POS system, like the ability to process payments, view sales reports, and customer relationship management (CRM) features. A bakery also needs foodservice features like recipe management and ingredient-level supply tracking. A POS with all these features can cost $50 to $80 per month, per register.
The best bakery POS systems for small businesses are:
- TouchBistro: Best overall bakery POS system
- Toast: Best high volume, full-service bakery POS
- Square for Restaurants: Best free bakery POS
- BakeSmart: Best wholesale bakery POS
- CakeBoss: Best home bakery POS
- Lightspeed: Best multi-location bakery POS
How We Evaluated Bakery POS Systems
Every retail business needs a POS system that makes ringing up and tracking sales a fast and accurate process. The best POS also offers analytics and reporting to support foodservice operations. Bakeries that deliver cakes or bread will need delivery management functions. A POS that integrates with accounting software and online ordering channels streamlines administrative tasks so that bakers can focus on their pastries rather than the back office.
We used the following criteria to determine the best bakery POS:
- Cost: Low margin businesses like bakeries need cost-effective tools. We considered the baseline costs of software and hardware and payment processing and the costs of additional features.
- Ease of use: Bakeries need an intuitive and straightforward system for multiple team members to navigate.
- Recipe and ingredient tracking functions: A good bakery POS should have the ability to store recipes. The best bakery POS can track individual ingredients as they are used and alert owners of low stock.
- Order stream functions: A bakery POS should be able to process catering, online orders, or advance orders for delivery.
- Customization: We looked for the availability of employee management, invoicing, or customer loyalty functions to support bakeries of various styles.
- Integrations: We looked for integrations that streamline administrative tasks like accounting, payroll, and invoicing.
Based on these criteria, TouchBistro is our top choice for bakery POS systems. TouchBistro is an award-winning foodservice POS with an extensive menu, recipe, and ingredient management features that streamline bakery operations. TouchBistro also has robust employee management features and plenty of integrated payment processors from which to choose. This system is also one of the most user-friendly POS systems on the market, offered at a competitive price.
TouchBistro: Best Overall Bakery POS
TouchBistro is an iPad POS system specifically designed for the restaurant and foodservice industry. TouchBistro has some of the most detailed recipe and cost management features out of all the bakery POS systems on our list and has staff management features most POS systems charge extra for, making TouchBistro an excellent value for $69 per month.
Robust, ingredient-level inventory tracking
Processing advance orders is a little clunky
Supports in-house delivery management
No in-built solutions for wholesale bakeries
Can choose your own payment processor
28/day free trial
TouchBistro’s baseline system is designed to be a streamlined POS solution. For a mid-range price, TouchBistro offers a ton of functionality. TouchBistro can get pricey for larger bakeries that need multiple registers, but the average small bakery should only need one.
- Software: TouchBistro POS starts at $69 per month for one terminal. Online ordering can be added for $50 per month. Full-service bakeries can add reservation software for $229 monthly. Gift card software is an additional $25 per month.
- Hardware: TouchBistro software runs on iPads, which bakeries will need to purchase separately. Purchase iPad stands and other hardware accessories, like self-serve kiosks, customer-facing displays, digital menus, cash drawers, card reader, and receipt printers directly from TouchBistro.
- Installation/ setup: $0. TouchBistro does not offer professional setup, so there is no cost to implement.
- Payment processing: TouchBistro partners with Chase to offer integrated payment processing. Each business receives a custom quote and rate.
TouchBistro has hundreds of front-end features for managing orders, inventory, and payment processing. In-built delivery management features enable bakeries to print delivery addresses, customer phone numbers, and other delivery information directly on receipts. The baseline system supports customer profiles to store information like purchase history and allergies. More advanced loyalty and email marketing are available via TouchBistro Loyalty, which starts at $45 per month.
On the back end, TouchBistro offers over 50 in-built reports, including ingredient-level inventory tracking and recipe management. TouchBistro also integrates with QuickBooks and Xero to streamline your accounting functions.
For a more in-depth look, check out our full TouchBistro review.
What TouchBistro Is Missing
If you want to build custom reports that track specific information all in one place, you will find TouchBistro’s reporting functions limited. It doesn’t have any specific in-built invoicing tools to support catering or wholesale bakeries, though users can create a workaround using the customer accounts and deposit functions.
Toast: Best Full Service Bakery POS
Toast is a robust, cloud-based POS with detailed ingredient and menu tracking. Toast is the only solution on our list that offers online ordering, not through a third-party app. Toast is slightly pricier than other POS systems but is still a competitively priced option, making it an excellent fit for growing bakeries offering online ordering.
Handles multiple order streams; in person, online, advance orders
More robust than small bakeries need
All-in-one restaurant solution
Not ideal for wholesale bakeries
Excellent delivery management functions for organizing cake deliveries
Toast allows bakeries to opt for an all-in-one solution, or choose from software tools a la carte. For example, while most systems require you to use or purchase a base POS subscription to use online ordering, with Toast, you can purchase online ordering separately.
- Software: Toast offers three all-in-one POS subscription tiers, Starter, Essentials, and Growth. They range in price from $69 to $189 per month, depending on the level of functionality you need. Loyalty and marketing features are only included in the highest-tier plan. You can purchase online ordering and digital apps for an additional fee.
- Hardware: Toast operates on proprietary Android hardware and offers an extensive suite of tablets, kiosks, KDS, self-order kiosks, and credit and debit card readers. Toast’s starter kit comes with a Toast Flex tablet, card reader, and router for $799. Additional kits and individual pieces are available for a quoted fee.
- Installation/ setup: Toast has a mandatory installation fee. You can choose between remote setup or have a professional come to your business. Fees will vary, but start at $499.
- Payment processing: Toast’s built-in payment processing is 2.49% + 15 cents for in-person Visa, Mastercard, and Discover Card payments.
Contact Toast for more information on interest-free hardware financing. Payment processing rates are also negotiable. However, Toast charges higher rates for American Express and card-not-present payments (such as phone orders).
Toast’s baseline POS system has built-in features like menu management and recipe costing, profitability analysis, ingredient-level supply tracking, real-time data and reporting, employee management. For catering and cake orders, Toast efficiently processes advance orders, allowing you to place limits on how far in advance orders can be placed at both the store level and for online orders.
Like TouchBistro, Toast’s system supports in-house delivery teams by attaching delivery information to cakes or catering orders.
Toast also offers add-on features like online ordering, contactless Order & Pay, customer-facing displays, and dozens of third-party integrations. Toast’s loyalty program comes at an additional monthly fee. Toast Loyalty includes a points-based rewards program that customers can enroll in at checkout. Customers are then tracked by their payment method and can earn and redeem points. For accounting, Toast integrates with Restaurant365, Compeat, xtraCHEF, and a few others.
What Toast Is Missing
Toast’s biggest drawback is the cost and the fact that it doesn’t sync with more popular small business accounting software like QuickBooks or Xero. Some of its best features—like Toast Loyalty, online ordering, and employee management—come with extra fees. For a 360-degree view of this robust POS system, see our full Toast POS review.
Square for Restaurants: Best Free Bakery POS
Square has major POS software categories; the basic Square POS and Square for Restaurants. Both systems are cloud-based and operate on iPads, with excellent functions for small bakeries. Square for Restaurants has more robust ordering for menu modifications and communicates with kitchen printers, though, so we think the restaurant system is a better fit for most bakeries. If your menu is small, the basic Square POS could also work. The baseline POS for either system is free.
Square for Restaurants Strengths
Square for Restaurants Weaknesses
Baseline software is free to use
Inventory tracking is not ingredient level
Advance orders can be scheduled via Square Online
No in-built functions for catering or custom cake orders
Works on iPads
Square for Restaurants Pricing
The best thing about Square for Restaurants POS is that the baseline software subscription is free. All you pay are processing fees on credit and debit cards and contactless payment transactions. Square for Restaurants operates on iPads, while the basic Square POS operates on any Wi-Fi enabled iOS or Android device. You can get started with either system by creating an account on the Square website.
- Software: Square for Restaurants offers a free subscription tier that can be used on unlimited devices. The Plus tier, which unlocks some additional functionality like detailed reporting, is $60 per month.
- Hardware: Square for Restaurants operates on any iPad. Square also sells hardware kits that include cash drawers, card readers, kitchen and receipt printers starting at $1,044.
- Installation/ setup: Square is a do-it-yourself installation, so there are no setup or installation fees to pay.
- Payment processing: Square’s payment processing is in-built. Current processing rates are listed on Square’s website as 2.6% + 10 cents per dipped or swiped transactions.
- Additional Software: Square’s Loyalty module is available for an additional $45 per month. Marketing tools are priced at $15 per month.
Square offers financing for hardware purchases anywhere from $49–$10,000. Interested users can apply via Square’s website for more information. Square also offers a 30-day free trial to test drive its higher level POS software subscriptions. Unlike several other POS brands, Square users are not locked into long term contracts; you can cancel your subscription at any time.
Square for Restaurants Features
Square was designed to support micro-business of all kinds. The free Square for Restaurants platform has all the essential functions you’d expect like order inputting, payment processing, and basic timekeeping.
Square for Restaurants can also process orders placed online or in-person. Future orders for pickup and delivery can be input by your staff on-site, or you can use Square Online to allow customers to place future orders for pickup or delivery.
What Square for Restaurants Is Missing
If you care about ingredient level tracking, Square for Restaurants currently does not offer that function. You can only track whole items like loaves of bread or cake slices. While Square supports basic delivery management functions, its actual dispatch scheduling functions are less robust than TouchBistro or Toast.
BakeSmart: Best Wholesale Bakery POS
BakeSmart is a bakery management system that was created specifically to meet the needs of wholesale and retail bakeries. The robust functions for processing advance orders, creating standing orders, and accept payments from retail customers via purchase order or check. The system also has standard employee management and real-time order processing functions like the traditional POS systems on this list. BakeSmart pricing starts at $199 per month.
Unique functions streamline bulk orders, future orders, and custom cake orders
Delivery management features are not robust
Works on any macOS or Windows computer
Can choose your payment processor
Small bakeries won’t use all the functions
Upfront, BakeSmart is the priciest system on this list. But the system earns points for listing its prices transparently on its website. Like Toast, BakeSmart charges a mandatory, one-time installation fee to cover the costs of importing a bakery’s product line.
- Software: BakeSmart has three subscription tiers that range in price from $199 per month for the Essentials tier up to $299 per month for the Enterprise level. These fees license the software to be installed on five computers. Additional computers are $30 per month.
- Hardware: BakeSmart operates on any macOS or Windows computer. However, you can purchase POS terminals, kitchen printers, and other accessories via BakeSmart at custom-quoted prices.
- Payment processing: BakeSmart integrates directly with Heartland Payment Systems and Card Connect. You can use other payment gateways via BakeSmart’s Authorize.Net integration.
- Add-on features: Features like standing order creation and an integrated ecommerce site are available at the Enterprise level.
- Installation and set up: This system has a mandatory installation fee of $999 for the baseline Essentials package, which raises costs to $1,999 for Pro, and $2,999 for Enterprise.
BakeSmart does not offer a free trial, but interested users can schedule a 60-minute product demo directly through the BakeSmart website.
In addition to supporting spur of the moment in-person sales, with BakeSmart, bakeries can easily schedule future orders with detailed notes. Recipe management functions allow bakeries to input recipes, track inventory, and provide item cost and nutrition information. The BakeSmart Production feature calculates exactly how much of each recipe must be made to fulfill pending orders. Lot tracking features help bakeries adhere to food safety regulations.
Orders can have deposits attached, can be paid in full, or be paid at pick up. At the Enterprise level, BakeSmart customers can create standing orders. These are orders assigned to a specific customer account that repeat forever on a designated day of the week. The Enterprise package also includes a fully integrated online ordering site. At any subscription level, BakeSmart integrates directly with QuickBooks to streamline payroll and accounting processes.
What BakeSmart Is Missing
The major challenge for BakeSmart is the upfront cost. A $999 to $2,999 installation fee is hefty. For the price, you do get all the grunt work of importing recipes or creating an ecommerce site, but small operations may not need all of that. BakeSmart’s driver management features are also not as robust as Toast or TouchBistro. You can learn more about BakeSmart’s unique features by scheduling a demo.
CakeBoss: Best Home Bakery POS
CakeBoss is a software program that was developed by a home baker for home bakers to manage and schedule orders, inventory, recipes, and invoicing. It is not related to the TLC television show of the same name. Unlike the other solutions on our list, CakeBoss is not designed for bakeries with storefronts but rather for catering or home businesses that primarily produce custom orders.
Right-size system for home-based bakeries
Takes a lot of time to set up
Designed to handle future orders
Cannot process in-person orders
CakeBoss has a pricing model that is slightly different from most of the traditional POS systems on our list. Because it is a business management software and not a POS terminal, CakeBoss can run on your home computer or laptop. There are no special hardware purchases required.
- Software: Costs $149 on your first year and just $20 per year after that.
- Hardware: Like BakeSmart, CakeBoss runs on any macOS or Windows computer.
- Payment processing: CakeBoss has an optional PayPal integration that allows your customers to pay invoices online with a credit card, debit card, or PayPal.
- Installation and set up: CakeBoss set up is a do-it-yourself affair. The only cost for installation is your time.
In addition to being a very low-cost tool, CakeBoss also offers a 30-day free trial, so you can test drive the system. You can sign up on the CakeBoss website.
CakeBoss has the most detailed recipe, order, and ingredient management features out of any solution on our list. CakeBoss also has features unique to home businesses like a calendar with ordering, delivery, and invoice dates, mileage calculators, expense tracking, referral tracking, and more. The CakeBoss Pricing Calculator takes the guesswork out of what you should charge for products. The system can also generate a shopping list based on pending orders.
However, bakers who plan to take their bakeries on the road at fairs or farmers’ markets should note that CakeBoss can’t ring up orders on the spot or process in-person payments. It’s only designed for invoice payments. Home bakers can use a free POS and payments app like Square in conjunction with CakeBoss to accept in-person payments, though.
What CakeBoss Is Missing
CakeBoss is the right-sized tool for home bakers or any home cook making and selling cottage foods like jams and bread. It does take a lot of time to input your recipes and ingredients and then tie them to one another, though. If you plan ahead and take the time, CakeBoss is a great tool.
Lightspeed: Best Multi-Location Bakery POS
Lightspeed Restaurant is a cloud-based POS system with restaurant industry-standard features like built-in payment processing, ingredient-level inventory management, and basic employee and customer management. Lightspeed is an excellent fit for growing bakery businesses because you can manage everything easily for multiple locations right on one platform. Pricing starts at $59 per month.
Tons of integrations make Lightspeed highly customizable
Delivery features only integrate with third-party platforms
Quick Service Mode streamlines orders
Order Ahead functions are designed for same-day orders
LiteServer boosts offline functionality
Handling orders for a future date is clunky
Lightspeed Restaurant pricing starts at $59 per month for a single terminal, which may be all that small bakeries need. Most of Lightspeed’s pricing is listed transparently on its website. Still, if you are interested in customizing with several add-on modules or lots of hardware, you should contact Lightspeed for a custom quote.
- Software: Pricing for a single terminal starts at $59 per month when paid annually. Additional terminals are $34 each per month.
- Hardware: Lightspeed runs on iPads, Android tablets, or desktop computers. Bakeries can purchase hardware bundles with an iPad stand, cash drawer, receipt printer, and card reader through Lightspeed at custom-quoted prices.
- Payment processing: Lightspeed offers built-in payment processing with Lightspeed Payments. However, bakeries can also choose from integrated payment partners, including TSYS and Vantiv.
- Add-on features: Lightspeed offers dozens of additional tools like ecommerce tools, loyalty, accounting, and delivery integration that range in price from an additional $12 to $39 per add-on, per month.
- Installation and set up: Lightspeed does not list any installation fees.
Lightspeed does not directly finance hardware purchases, but qualifying Lightspeed customers can apply to Lightspeed Capital for operating funds when needed. Lightspeed offers a 14-day free trial if you want to take a more in-depth look at the system.
The $59 per month plan includes POS features like inventory management, reporting, staff management, and menu management. Overall, Lightspeed Restaurant has standard features for managing a bakery or cafe. What sets Lightspeed apart is the ability to manage multiple bakeries under a single platform. Business owners can manage and transfer inventory between locations, have centralized customer and gift card databases, and plan for peak hours across sites.
Lightspeed Loyalty is also available for an additional monthly fee. It includes a targeted rewards program, a customer-facing branded app, SMS, email, and push notification marketing tools, and features to automate customer outreach.
What Lightspeed Is Missing
Lightspeed is missing a few bakery-specific features like the ability to store individual recipes and track costs and profit margins for each type of baked good. It also does not have a streamlined solution for accepting orders in advance for catering or wholesale bakeries.
Bakery businesses come in many sizes and receive orders in many different ways: online, in person, via catering clients, or wholesale clients. Bakeries of any size benefit from having a POS that offers features beyond simple order-taking and payment processing. In-depth features like ingredient tracking, delivery management, and loyalty programs help bakeries keep their costs in line while growing their sales.
TouchBistro is the best bakery POS for small businesses because it offers all of those features and more in one sleek and affordable package. TouchBistro is the most cost-effective solution on our list to manage and store individual recipes for baked goods while also handling retail business needs like processing payments and scheduling employee shifts. Visit TouchBistro today for a custom quote and free trial.