Virtual phone systems provide business users with a dedicated business line to add to their existing mobile phone or landline. They also provide advanced features like automated attendants and mobile apps. We examined the best virtual phone services available today and evaluated them based on pricing, features, and usability.
Top 6 Virtual Phone Number Providers 2020
(Best Overall) Teams seeking an ideal balance of telephony features and affordability
Freelancers and solopreneurs looking for a free separate business line
Organizations looking for call center functionality with their virtual phone
Sales teams looking to understand more about their call activity via analytic reports
Businesses that want to cater toward an overseas audience with an international number
Teams that need to send virtual faxes in addition to basic phone functions.
How We Evaluated Virtual Phone Number Providers
All business phone systems should provide businesses with a dedicated business number, which could be with a local area code prefix, toll-free, or a customized vanity number like 1-800-FLOWERS. They require an existing phone line to forward calls to, and they are typically less expensive than dedicated voice-over-internet-protocol (VoIP) counterparts, which can run entirely on their own. Advanced features include call queuing, automated attendants, and mobile apps.
- Ease of use
- Call management
- Multiline management
- Phone numbers
- Call quality
- Customer support
Based on the above criteria, we find that Grasshopper is the best virtual phone number provider for most small companies. Their system is affordable, easy to use, and comes with standard features like a toll-free number and automated attendant. It also comes with an intuitive, powerful app on iOS and Android devices.
Take our quiz to find out which service is best for you.
Grasshopper: Best Overall Virtual Phone Service for Small Businesses
Grasshopper is an easy-to-use virtual phone system that comes standard with either a local or toll-free phone number with a 1-800 prefix. It also includes an automated attendant and text messaging. Pricing starts at $20 per month for one user on an annual basis. Grasshopper is the best overall choice because it offers the best balance of affordability and functionality while also being exceptionally easy to use.
No features locked behind pricing plans
Pricing for additional users not publicly available
Local or toll-free number with each package
Virtual fax not as robust as in competing systems
Automated attendant functionality
Could be overkill for solopreneurs with basic needs
- Solopreneur: $20 per month for one user*
- Partnership: $46 per month for three users*
- Small Team: $70 per month for six users*
*Pricing is on an annual basis. Buying accounts for additional users is available for an additional price on a per-account basis.
- Automated attendant: Like many of its direct competitors, Grasshopper’s automated attendant can greet and route your incoming calls without any human intervention.
- Phone numbers: Grasshopper comes with the ability to choose either a toll-free or local telephone number with each account.
- Mobile app: Take your work number wherever you go with Grasshopper’s apps for iOS and Android devices.
For more information on Grasshopper, check out our Grasshopper user reviews page.
Google Voice: Best Free Virtual Phone Number Provider
Google Voice is a free virtual phone system that provides unlimited domestic calling, texting, and voicemail. All you need is a free Google account to get started. It provides users with a free local phone number from most parts of the United States. While it lacks many of the advanced features of other systems we looked at, Google Voice is an ideal fit for freelancers who are simply looking for a dedicated business line to use separately from their personal phone.
Google Voice Strengths
Google Voice Weaknesses
Free phone service
Basic feature set
Unlimited calling to most of the U.S. and Canada
No toll-free numbers
Free call recording
Some popular area codes not available
Google Voice Pricing
- Google Voice is completely free. There are some fees for calling select numbers in North America and international locations. You can go to their calling rates page for more information.
Google Voice Features
- Local number: Google Voice lets you choose local numbers from nearly anywhere in the United States, just like many of its alternatives.
- Easy to use: We offer a guide to setting up Google Voice, but its simplistic nature makes it one of the most intuitive phone services on the market.
- Call recording: Google Voice offers standard call recording, which is impressive, as there are paid competitors available that do offer such capabilities.
For more information on Google Voice, you can go to our Google Voice user reviews page.
Talkroute: Best Virtual Phone System With Call Center Features
Talkroute is a virtual phone system with standard unlimited domestic calling and texting. However, what helps the system stand apart from competitors is that it offers a range of features like call queuing, live call transfer, and other functionality that lends itself well to call center environments. The service, which starts at $19 per month, is great for sales teams, customer service departments, and other such teams with high call volumes.
Easy to use
Could be overkill for smaller teams
Call center capabilities
Limited texting in basic tier
Call recording locked behind premium editions
- Basic: $19 per month for one local or toll-free number, one account user, and 500 monthly text messages*
- Plus: $39 per month for two local or toll-free numbers, three account users, and unlimited texting*
- Pro: $59 per month for three local or toll-free numbers, 10 account users, and call recording*
- Enterprise: $99 per month for five local or toll-free numbers and 20 account users*
*Additional users can be added to each package for an undisclosed rate. Get in touch with a Talkroute sales agent for more details.
- Call center capabilities: Talkroute comes with live call transfer, call queuing, shared inboxes, and other functions that are helpful in call center environments.
- Voice studio: The Pro and Enterprise versions of the system come with a professionally recorded voice greeting for your business.
- 24/7 support: Talkroute’s customer service staff is available whenever you need them.
You can learn more about the service’s plans and what other users are saying by visiting our Talkroute reviews page.
CallHippo: Best Virtual Phone System With Vanity Numbers
CallHippo is a virtual phone number provider that offers unlimited calling, call recording, and other modules. The service comes with a free version as well as paid packages starting at $14 per user, per month. The solution offers a wide selection of vanity numbers, making it a great option for those looking for a customized, memorable phone number like 1-800-FLOWERS.
Wide range of available vanity numbers
Automated attendant locked behind premium editions
Standard call recording
Starter version doesn’t come with unlimited calling
Easy to use
More expensive than some competitors
- Bronze: $14 per user, per month for a free number, voicemail, and call recording*
- Silver: $18 per user, per month for unlimited incoming calls, automated attendant, and call queuing*
- Platinum: $30 per user, per month for power dialing and three-way calling*
- Enterprise: (Call for pricing) Guided setup and prioritized custom development*
*Pricing is on an annual basis. Monthly pricing is available at an extra cost.
- Vanity numbers: CallHippo makes it extraordinarily easy to choose and deploy a customized vanity number for your business.
- Call management: CallHippo comes with all the call management functions of its competitors, like call forward, block, and caller ID.
- Mobile app: CallHippo comes with apps for iOS and Android so that you can effectively take your work phone wherever you go.
Check out our CallHippo user reviews page for more information.
VirtualPhone.com: Best Virtual Phone System for Multinational Companies
VirtualPhone.com, which offers a free version and paid packages starting at $5 per month annually, is a virtual phone solution that offers bundles of minutes as opposed to the unlimited plans found in competing solutions. The service also offers the ability to buy an international number for your company. This makes it ideal for teams with an overseas business presence that want to accommodate contacts outside of the United States.
Adopt international numbers from all over the world
No unlimited calling plans
Limited faxing capabilities
Flexible range of plans
- Free: 100 minutes or texts
- Starter: $5 to $9 per month for 200 to 500 minutes or texts*
- Medium: $39 to $69 per month for 2,000 to 4,000 minutes or texts*
- Large: $149 to $399 per month for 10,000 to 30,000 minutes or texts*
*Pricing is on an annual basis. Monthly plans are available at an extra cost.
- International numbers: Virtualphone.com lets you adopt phone numbers from dozens of countries all over the world.
- Automated attendant: The system can handle all of your incoming call traffic in a similar fashion to other products we looked at.
- Unlimited extensions: Virtualphone.com supports unlimited extensions, regardless of which plan you adopt.
Find out more about the virtual phone number provider’s features and calling plans by visiting our VirtualPhone.com reviews page.
eVoice: Best Virtual Phone Number Provider for Faxing
eVoice is a virtual phone system that comes with the best integrated faxing capabilities we’ve seen to date in a service of this kind. It also has a respectable set of features like call forward and block. Pricing starts at $6.25 per user, per month on an annual basis. eVoice is good for teams that still use fax to exchange documents with contacts.
Powerful faxing functionality
Local and toll-free numbers
Clunky mobile app
Lite plan capped off at 350 monthly minutes
- Lite: $6.25 per user, per month with 350 monthly minutes, two users, and six numbers*
- Unlimited: $16.25 per user, per month for unlimited calling, four users, faxing, and 12 numbers*
- Unlimited Plus: $15.83 per user, six users, and 18 users*
*Plans are on an annual basis. Monthly plans are available at an additional cost.
- Integrated faxing: Send and receive faxes with ease via the eVoice app.
- Unlimited extensions: eVoice supports unlimited extensions for your small business.
- Phone numbers: eVoice allows you to adopt toll-free, local, vanity, or international numbers.
Read more about how eVoice can support your mobile business telephony needs by visiting our eVoice reviews page.
Virtual phone services are a perfect fit for many small companies. They provide a professional business phone presence, but do not cost as much as a landline or VoIP system. They also come with advanced features like auto-attendants and mobile apps.