This article is part of a larger series on VoIP.
Business phone number apps let small businesses separate personal calls from work-related calls and text messages. This also helps establish credibility and increases the chance of being remembered. However, while some apps are free to download and provide a free business phone number, they may still charge a fee to place or receive calls. In this article, we evaluated the best free business phone number apps and discussed the best use cases for each.
Providers offering a free phone number as part of a free or basic per-minute calling plan:
- Google Voice: Best overall free local number app for businesses in need of a truly free business number
- Callcentric: A strong choice for those wanting a free phone number and a la carte messaging and calling service upgrades
- FreedomPop: Top choice for solopreneurs looking for a free, standalone cellular business phone number
Providers offering a free number to use with fuller-featured phone service plans:
- Phone.com: Best for businesses looking for more advance call management features and a free business phone number
- Sideline: Best for budget-conscious businesses wanting a free vanity number
- CallHippo: Best for call centers wanting a free business phone number
Looking for other ways to get a free business phone number? Read our article on how to get a free business phone number for a detailed step-by-step guide and to learn more tips.
Best Free Phone Number Apps at a Glance
Free Business Phone Number App
How to Get a Free Number
Types of Supported Phone Numbers
Sign up for a Personal account to claim a free phone number
4.61 out of 5
One free phone number is included, but per-minute calling rates may apply
3.84 out of 5
Activate GSM kit to get a free phone number
3.67 out of 5
One local or toll-free number is included in every account, starting at 12.99 per user, per month
3.61 out of 5
One free number is included in all plans, starting at $9.99 per month
3.46 out of 5
One free number is included in its Bronze plan starting at $16 per user, per month
3.41 out of 5
Google Voice: Best Overall Free Business Phone Number App
*Calls not included from the subscription are charged by usage. Per-minute fees range between 1 cent and $5.12, depending on the recipient’s location.
Google Voice is a cloud-based phone system built for heavy users of Google Workspace apps. It offers a smart phone number that works on mobile phones, web browsers, or existing landline setup. The free phone number enables users to place and make calls anywhere, with the ability to choose a phone number from most area codes in the U.S.
This provider earned a spot on our list of the best business phone systems for solopreneurs and freelancers looking for a low-cost phone system. By signing up on its platform, users get a free personal number with unlimited domestic calls and texts. This sets it apart from many other VoIP-based phone systems; it’s the easiest method for getting an entirely free number that’s usable on mobile devices and computers specifically for business calls.
Google Voice offers three business plans at affordable prices for those who want access to digital collaboration tools and call management features. Upgrading to the Premier plan allows users to make international calls in 14 countries.
Still, if your business has international calling needs and requires more international numbers, consider Phone.com. It has more international number coverage with 39 countries. Standard call rates start at $4.99 per month.
Google Voice Features
- Voicemail transcription: Powered by Google’s speech recognition technology, the visual voicemail is a convenient way to glance at your voicemail instead of listening to the message.
- Usage and activity reporting: Monitor all real-time call activities and use the data to redirect your business in the right direction. The Voice Audit Log contains the event name, source, and destination.
- Spam blocker: Save time and avoid disruptions by blocking unwanted calls and marking unnecessary messages as spam.
Callcentric: Best Free Business Phone Number App for Configurable Service
*Additional 911 service fee for the U.S. and Canada users on the Pay per Call plan and all phone number products.
Callcentric is a VoIP service provider that offers customers the flexibility to choose their preferred VoIP services. The Dollar Unlimited plan is ideal for those looking for a free business number that supports unlimited inbound usage. This plan is currently available for those residing in Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, and New Jersey.
What makes Callcentric stand out is its unique approach to customizing the most affordable VoIP solution for your needs. Users have the flexibility to pick which outgoing plan suits their calling patterns and the freedom to update their plans at any time. Additionally, Callcentric functions as a small business phone system that comes with the basic functionalities of a VoIP platform, such as call forwarding, voicemail, and call waiting.
If you’re looking for a VoIP provider that offers subscription packages instead of a la carte plans, check out CallHippo. This provider offers three tiered plans for its office phone system that starts at $25 per user, per month when billed annually.
- Anonymous call rejection: Your phone won’t ring for incoming calls marked as “anonymous.” With this feature enabled, the user can also make calls with a caller ID marked as “anonymous.” You can send an error message to calls from unknown sources or direct them to your voicemail.
- Four-way calling: Make calls together with three other numbers at once. Simply push the flash or hold button on your phone to enable this feature.
- Call treatments: Set the rules on how to handle incoming calls. Call rules vary from forcing anonymous calls to voicemail, forwarding calls to another number, or using call hunting to forward calls to up to five numbers.
FreedomPop: Best Free Business Phone Number App for Cellular Calls
*Avail all services by purchasing a GSM SIM kit at $10.
FreedomPop stands out in our list of the best free business phone number apps as the only provider with a Freemium plan. It is recommended for solopreneurs and freelancers looking for a business phone number app that comes with a free number and messaging services.
By activating your SIM card, users get a free phone number, including a limited number of call minutes, text messages, and high-speed cellular data. However, mobile signal strength will depend on your location around the U.S. If you want to use FreedomPop for business purposes, the provider offers custom solutions fit for your mobile and internet needs. It also provides detailed reporting and a dedicated account manager.
Since FreedomPop is only a cellular provider, users must note that its features are limited to Wi-Fi calling, group messaging, multimedia messaging service, and visual voicemail. If you want access to robust call management features, consider Phone.com, which offers over 50 business calling features, such as free conference calling, voicemail-to-email, and call routing.
- Cellular service: FreedomPop offers free and affordable plans for those who don’t need all the extra perks of other big cellular carriers like Verizon. It provides the flexibility to manage your own plan based on the number of minutes, texts, and data.
- Wi-Fi calling plan: Wireless internet connection by using voice, text, and data through Wi-Fi hotspots.
- Internet service options: Purchase data through the top-up function or be automatically charged for additional data usage.
Phone.com: Best Business Phone System for Free Business Phone Number
*Save 20% by choosing annual billing with any plan. Texts and call minutes are pooled among multiple users in the same account. Volume discounts apply for additional phone numbers.
Phone.com offers a budget-friendly VoIP business phone solution for businesses needing virtual phone numbers. Although it doesn’t offer a free trial, all plans include a free business phone number with the benefits of an enterprise phone system. If you want to keep your phone number, Phone.com will handle the porting process to continue using your number, whether it’s a local, international, toll-free, or vanity number.
What sets Phone.com apart from other providers in this list is its robust product features, including a business phone system, mobile application, video meeting solution, and various models of VoIP phones. On top of these, it offers a variety of call management features, such as hold music, greetings, call analytics, and a dial-by-name directory.
Additionally, basic users have 300 pooled minutes for inbound and outbound calls, while Plus and Pro users have unlimited call minutes. An additional charge of 3.9 cents applies if the user exceeds the limit for calls.
If your business is looking for a contact center solution, consider other providers like CallHippo, as Phone.com doesn’t come with this functionality. All paid CallHippo subscriptions come with a free trial and bulk calling features, which are ideal for sales, support, and call center teams.
- Call handling rules: Create a set of options to route incoming calls to desired destinations. Options include forwarding, auto-attendant, dial-by-name directory, and scheduled routing.
- Text-to-greeting: Customize audio messages and choose from over 40 voice personalities and sound effects. Simply enter the message, select the voice, and save it as an audio file.
- Voice tagging: Before answering a call, the Voice Tag feature will specify what the caller selected in the list of menu options. For example, if the caller presses the “Business Line,” you will hear the voice tag “Business Line,” and then the call will connect.
Sideline: Best Low-cost Provider for Vanity Numbers
*Calling restrictions apply to selected U.S. locations and international areas.
Sideline offers a free separate phone number to keep your work and personal numbers separate and organized. With a second number, it aims to streamline all your communications in one place, whether it’s for collaboration or productivity. The best part is that Sideline allows users to build their identity by picking a local area code and searching for a memorable number. Number porting is also available to transfer an existing number from another device.
You’ll also find a suite of features like business texting, auto-reply, and team number. The second number offers high-quality calls and unlimited texts, and is available at a lower price point. Those who wish to register for the Standard account or any high-tier package should consider subscribing to a semi-annual or annual plan to enjoy discounts. Discount pricing may also depend on the number of users registered.
If you’re looking for a provider that offers a completely free cloud-based phone system, consider Google Voice. It offers unlimited domestic calls and basic team collaboration tools, such as ring groups, call forwarding, and Google Workspace integrations.
To find out how Sideline differs from Google Voice as a communications platform, check out our head-to-head comparison on Sideline vs Google Voice.
- Auto-reply: When busy, use this feature to automatically respond to unanswered calls with a custom text message. This will let your recipients know that you’ve received their call and will return their call shortly.
- Team number: Leverage your business response time by sharing a single phone number with your team for all incoming calls and texts. Team members will share the responsibility of your business line when the person in charge is not available.
- Branded messages: Incorporate an image or logo into your messages or auto-replies to enhance the customer’s brand experience.
CallHippo: Best Contact Center Solution With a Free Business Phone Number
*Fees are for annual billing, but a monthly option is available at a slightly higher cost. Additional incoming call minutes are charged at 2 cents per minute. For incoming SMS, 1 cent per SMS is applicable, and regular pricing is charged for outbound SMS.
CallHippo offers a contact center solution with virtual phone numbers for local, international, toll-free, and vanity. After signing up with CallHippo, users are allowed to choose between a free local and a toll-free number. Choosing a toll-free number will only take less than three minutes with access to additional benefits, such as built-in customer relationship management (CRM) integration tools, advanced analytics, and reporting capabilities.
With CallHippo, users have access to its extensive features, including its business phone system, voice broadcasting, speech analytics, and call tracking. Its cloud-based phone solution ensures better call management thanks to its handy call functions, such as conference calling, power dialing, and campaign management.
CallHippo charges additional fees for outbound text messaging. If you’re looking for a provider that offers unlimited SMS in the U.S., check out Google Voice. It also offers free calling to the U.S. from any country.
- Smart call forwarding: Forward all incoming calls to an alternate number or the right agent without letting the caller know what’s happening in the background. While the caller waits to connect, an automated greeting or customized music will keep them occupied.
- Voice broadcasting: Craft automated voice messages and call a large number of recipients at once. It allows you to schedule campaigns that work best for your contacts.
- Smart switch: A simple mechanism that allows customer reps to switch between telephony providers. It gives your contact center the flexibility to choose an alternative provider if there’s a decrease in call connectivity.
How We Evaluated the Best Free Business Phone Number App
Having a free business phone number offers a cost-effective solution to small business owners on a budget. It supports unlimited call and texting and offers local, international, toll-free, and vanity numbers. In this buyer’s guide, we examined the best business phone number apps by primarily looking for their free and low-cost services.
Learn how we evaluated the best low-cost and free business phone number app by clicking on the tabs below:
45% of Overall Score
While we’re primarily looking for business phone apps that offer a free phone number, we also considered the cost of upgrading to a paid subscription, charges per minute, setup fee, and international calling costs.
20% of Overall Score
We evaluated the most common business phone features that many small business owners are looking for. These include voicemail, software integrations, toll-free numbers, and free unlimited calling.
10% of Overall Score
The best free business phone apps should come with niche features that are considered valuable for various communication requirements. We looked for apps offering vacation settings, unique ringtones, and business hour management.
25% of Overall Score
We evaluated our expert score by factoring in the value for money and the ease of use of each platform. We also considered the popularity and the standout features of all providers included in this list.
A business phone number offers an efficient way to keep your work communications separate from your personal life. Many providers offer free services and low-cost plans aiming to target small business owners that can’t afford a full-featured business phone plan.
With an overall score of 4.61, Google Voice is our best choice for businesses needing a free phone number. Not only will business owners have a wide variety of options to choose from if they need a dedicated phone line, but solopreneurs will literally pay nothing for the base-level plan. Though lacking unified communications and call center features, Google Voice also fits well into the Google Workspace ecosystem, so businesses looking for seamless integration will find it very useful. To learn more about this provider, check out our in-depth Google Voice review.