This article is part of a larger series on VoIP.
The best voice-over-internet-protocol (VoIP) app for Android not only separates your business and personal calls but also allows you to configure your phone system if you’re away from your computer or desk phone. Many VoIP providers extend their mobile app functionality by supporting video conferencing and team collaboration. We evaluated dozens of providers to determine the six best VoIP providers for Android users.
Based on our research, the best VoIP apps for Android are listed below:
- RingCentral: Best overall for scaling businesses needing a comprehensive, unified communications solution
- Nextiva: Ideal for teams looking for an easy-to-use mobile tool for team messaging
- Vonage: Great for companies needing a customizable VoIP Android app for their unique business requirements
- Grasshopper: Suitable for small businesses with low call volume looking for a no-frills mobile VoIP solution
- Google Voice: Top choice for businesses wanting to integrate their VoIP app with their Google Workspace apps
- MizuDroid: Best for businesses needing a VoIP app to supplement existing phone service with additional mobile functionality
Best Android VoIP Apps at a Glance
Android VoIP Apps
Monthly Starting Price
$30 per user
4.36 out of 5
$30.95 per user
4.33 out of 5
$19.99 per user
4.28 out of 5
4.13 out of 5
Free or $10 per user
3.93 out of 5
3.53 out of 5
Learning how to set up your business phone system is the best way to get started before you start using its mobile app version. Check out our guide about how to set up a VoIP system to learn how.
RingCentral: Best Overall Android VoIP App
*Significant discounts apply for annual billing and volume purchases.
RingCentral is one of the leading business phone systems today known for its comprehensive, unified communications capabilities. The platform incorporates almost all the features of the desktop version into its mobile app, giving users call management, team messaging, and video conferencing functionality. Every package includes basic VoIP features, such as visual voicemail, business SMS, and file sharing.
The RingCentral app lets you configure phone settings directly from your mobile device, a feature that other providers cannot do. These include voicemail greetings, caller ID, extension settings, and call handling rules. Learn more about RingCentral by reading a full breakdown of its key features in our RingCentral review.
Unlocking new features in RingCentral gets expensive as you upgrade to higher tiers. A better alternative would be MizuDroid, a free VoIP app that lets you expand your existing phone plan’s mobile functionality. Its mobile app has multiple call diversion capabilities and a long list of branding and customization options.
- Call flip: Move an ongoing call between your smartphone, desktop, or desk phone without interruption. Unlike call transfer, calls should be answered by the person who initiated the conversation.
- Answering rules: Customize the days and hours of your business operations with specific greetings and routing rules. It also lets you set after-hours rules to route calls to voicemail or a home phone number.
- Video conferencing: Host and join online video meetings and access advanced meeting tools, such as meeting summaries, noise reduction, and presentation modes.
Nextiva: Best for Team Messaging
*Annual billing and volume discounts are available.
Nextiva is one of our best VoIP apps for Android, with an integrated team chat app that features instant messaging, video calling, screen sharing, and message history. Team collaboration takes place over its office phone system, eliminating the need to purchase a separate team messaging platform. Its collaboration software, CoSpace, is a dedicated workspace for remote teams wanting to have a private group chat and keep track of everyone’s workday.
The Nextiva app is available in tablet and mobile versions. The main view of the app contains multiple tabs that let you change your online presence, view contacts and call history, modify call preferences, and start a call or group chat. All contacts need to be online to join a group chat, and you cannot invite an offline contact. For more information about its team chat features, check out our Nextiva review.
Despite Nextiva’s impressive team collaboration capabilities, it only allows users to host meetings for up to 45 minutes. Those wanting to host longer meetings should consider RingCentral, which lets you host video conferences for up to 24 hours on its free video meeting plan.
- Hunt group: When a caller dials one extension or phone number, this feature will ring multiple users assigned to that hunt group. It can be set to ring the users sequentially, simultaneously, or by a designated priority.
- Call notify: If you’re too busy to answer a live call, you will get an email notification when an important contact calls your business number. These alerts contain the caller’s information and the time stamp.
- Call Pop: Displays the caller details before answering the call. It lets you customize the type of information to show up, including sentiment, survey responses, and account value.
Vonage: Best for App Customization
Vonage provides a unified communications platform that uses an a la carte approach to its subscription plans. Users are able to customize their plans by adding extra features based on their current communication needs. Many popular features are offered as add-ons, such as call recording, virtual mailbox, and unlimited mobile extensions.
The Vonage mobile app delivers some of the most advanced mobile messaging functionality. Its unified inbox lets you view all messages sent to your private or business number within a single feed. This enables users to access their work and personal accounts without switching devices. If you’re wondering about Vonage’s more unique features, check out our comprehensive Vonage review.
While Vonage offers local and toll-free numbers, these services come with an extra fee, unlike other providers like Grasshopper. For a flat monthly fee, it allows a combination of toll-free and local numbers, and advanced plans let you select up to three to five phone numbers.
- Vonage Meetings: A free video conference service with in-meeting features, such as chat, whiteboarding, and screen sharing. Calendar integrations are available through Google Calendar and Microsoft Outlook.
- Virtual voicemail: This feature provides each extension its own voicemail box. Choose from four customizable voicemail greetings: name, unavailable, busy, and vacation greetings.
- Spam shield: Checks all incoming calls for scams, robocalls, or telemarketing. Once the call comes in, you will receive instant warnings on your caller ID, allowing you to decline the call.
Grasshopper: Best for Managing Low-call Volume
*Annual billing is available
Grasshopper is a basic VoIP solution for managing calls, texts, and voicemail. It is designed for small businesses that don’t need advanced capabilities to manage their minimal call volumes. All plans share the same set of features, like business SMS and call forwarding, so you don’t have to upgrade to premium tiers to access a specific feature. If the tiered pricing plans of RingCentral and Nextiva are too overwhelming for you, Grasshopper might be a great fit.
One of Grasshopper’s main strengths is its modern user interface and virtual phone number options. Subscribing to its plans lets you pick multiple phone numbers, whether local, toll-free, or vanity. Learn more about its virtual phone system in our Grasshopper review.
Grasshopper lags behind other VoIP providers when it comes to video conferencing and team messaging capabilities. In this case, consider Vonage, which offers over 50 voice and unified communications features on all plans.
- Instant response: When you miss a call from a new client, this feature will automatically respond through a text message to let them know you’re unavailable. You may also customize your automatic replies by including images and hyperlinks.
- Virtual voicemail: A dedicated business voicemail box that provides access to your voicemail messages through an app. Voicemail recordings are sent as MP3 files to your email inbox.
- Incoming call control: Customize how and when to receive calls during and after business hours. You may set up a call schedule, block unwanted calls, or ring forwarding numbers simultaneously.
Google Voice: Best for Google Workspace Users
Google Voice is a cloud-based phone system that works seamlessly with Google Workspace apps like Gmail and Calendar. If your business already uses Google productivity apps, Google Voice is a great addition to your tech stack. For example, if you’re currently hosting a Google Meet session and one of your participants cannot join the video meeting, you can simply call their Google Voice number to let them participate via call.
Google Voice’s offerings are limited to basic VoIP features, such as voicemail, SMS, and voice calls. Despite having few capabilities, Google Voice makes a strong candidate for the best business phone systems. Learn more about its strengths in our Google Voice review.
If you’re looking for a full-featured phone system with unified communications, you’ll be better off with Nextiva or RingCentral. Both providers have team collaboration capabilities to manage remote and distributed teams.
Google Voice Features
- Voicemail transcription: Converts voicemails into a readable format, allowing you to read it within the app or have it sent to your email.
- Spam filtering: Blocks unwanted contacts and moves spam calls, messages, and voicemails to a Spam folder.
- Custom call forwarding: Forward calls to linked phone numbers or directly to voicemail. It also plays custom voicemail greetings to certain contacts.
MizuDroid: Best Android App for Supplementing Existing Phone Plans
*Volume discounts available
Unlike other providers on this list,MizuDroid isn’t a business phone system or a virtual phone service. It is an Android app that lets you add extra functionality to your existing phone service. Additional features include call diversion capabilities, encryption, and customization options.
With MizuDroid, international calling is easy and affordable as long as you have an existing VoIP provider. Calls are crystal-clear thanks to the software’s ability to automatically adapt the connection to the existing device, network, server, or peer capabilities. Receiving and making international calls is more convenient and cheaper than other Android apps that support international calling, like RingCentral.
On the downside, MizuDroid’s user interface is slightly outdated, potentially leading to app glitches or a steep learning curve. If you’re looking for an Android VoIP app that is affordable and easy to use, consider Grasshopper.
- Call forward number: This feature lets you indicate an alternative number to be used when an incoming call is unanswered or rejected.
- Voice recording: Recorded conversations are encrypted and compressed, making it easy to export them as WAV or MP3 files.
- Unified communications: Combines a wide range of communication channels, such as group chat, video conferencing, voicemail, file transfer, and remote desktop sharing.
How We Evaluated the Best Android VoIP App
Many VoIP providers today offer mobile apps to complement the desktop version of their platforms. This enables users to stay connected with their customers and teams even on the go. They also provide additional functionalities that users won’t get from their current mobile carrier. When evaluating the best VoIP app for Android users, we looked at pricing, general features, ease of use, and each app’s reputation for scalability, deliverability, and uptime.
Learn how we evaluated the best VoIP apps for Android by clicking on the tabs below:
25% of Overall Score
We compared price points and per-user costs of each provider’s plans and determined if their mobile apps are locked behind more expensive tiers. We also checked if a provider offers discounts for annual plans and volume purchases.
30% of Overall Score
We examined the basic functionality of each Android app to ensure it includes general features like auto-attendants, voicemail greetings, and contact lists.
20% of Overall Score
We evaluated advanced and niche features, such as custom ringtones, call blocking, vanity numbers, and voicemail transcriptions to see which provider has the most options.
25% of Overall Score
We tried the apps ourselves and reviewed feedback from actual customers to learn about their experiences and long-term use.
VoIP apps for Android devices put the most important features of your business phone system on your mobile phone. Features like text messaging, voicemail, and video conferencing help you keep in touch with your teams and customers anywhere you are. These apps also keep your business communications organized by separating your work and personal calls.
After examining the top options, RingCentral is our best VoIP app for Android users. Its mobile app is offered on all RingCentral plans and delivers the right combination of features and functionality at a justifiable price range. Sign up for its 14-day free trial to see how it works before you commit to a paid plan.