Softphone apps work on any internet-connected device, allowing users to make and receive calls on computers and tablets as well as on mobile phones. While there are standalone apps and many provider plans come with a desktop user interface, the best VoIP softphone apps also can provide more than a central location to manage calls and check voicemail without a handset. We looked for user-friendly solutions that work equally well across all devices.
According to our research, we recommend the following best softphone apps:
- RingCentral: Best overall for companies wanting an all-in-one communication and collaboration platform
- Phone.com: A more affordable option for businesses looking for volume and annual discounts on voice-over-internet-protocol (VoIP) plans
- Grasshopper: Better for small, distributed teams needing a user-friendly softphone app and virtual phone numbers
- 8×8: A better fit for organizations with international team members and customers wanting a solution that works for small companies or large call centers
- CounterPath Bria: Better for users wanting cheap VoIP services or wanting to use one softphone app to consolidate multiple independent VoIP numbers
- ZoiPer: A more appropriate choice for small teams wanting to communicate via audio and video without a monthly cost
How We Evaluated the Best Softphone Apps
Many VoIP and virtual number providers offer softphone apps. Some require only a browser window, whereas others are downloadable applications. But there are also standalone softphone apps for session initiation protocol (SIP) calling, and they work with popular VoIP services.
With a score of 4.75 out of 5, RingCentral is our top pick for softphone apps. In comparison to other providers, it is one of the most popular platforms with highly rated softphone apps for mobile and desktop devices. It features video conferencing, an auto-attendant, and call reports.
Explore how we evaluated the best softphone apps by clicking through the following tabs:
25% of Overall Score
We examined various plan tiers for affordability, checked for annual and volume discounts, and noted providers offering a free plan.
25% of Overall Score
We assessed options based on the availability of toll-free numbers, call management features, and SMS. Additionally, we looked for video conferencing, voicemail transcription, and visual voicemail.
25% of Overall Score
During our review, we considered advanced features, such as international calling, faxing, call reports, and automated attendants. Plus, we evaluated options for iOS and Android mobile apps.
25% of Overall Score
To determine the best softphone apps, we explored customer reviews for popularity and ease of use, and then compared overall features and value.
RingCentral: Best Overall Softphone App
*Rates are based on two to 20 users when paid annually. Monthly plans are available for an extra cost, and volume discounts apply for 100 or more users.
RingCentral is a VoIP provider offering softphone apps for iOS, Android, Windows, and Mac devices. Compared to other softphone solutions, RingCentral comes with the most features, making it an excellent option for companies wanting a unified platform to manage calls and improve collaboration. The feature-rich plans include an auto-attendant, team messaging, and voicemail-to-text. While it’s free to download the app, you’ll pay a per-user fee ranging from $19.99 to $49.99 for two to 20 users with an annual payment.
- Customizable softphone apps: Unlike other apps, RingCentral lets users reorder the tabs for a personalized view. Employees select two to five tabs, such as calendar, tasks, park locations, or video, to display on their softphone app.
- Voicemail options: RingCentral offers several ways to access your voicemail. You can use voicemail-to-text, voicemail-to-email, or hear voicemails on your desk or mobile phone apps. Voicemail is also accessible via a web browser.
- Unified communication app: With a single softphone app, you can switch devices during a call, access and share files, search for documents using keywords, create teams, and invite guest users to your teams and chats.
Explore this platform’s wide range of call management functionalities by visiting our RingCentral review page.
Phone.com: Best for Affordability & Customizability
*Prices are based on one to four users with an annual payment. Monthly plans are available, and discounts apply as you add more users.
Although Phone.com isn’t as popular as our top pick, RingCentral, it’s a more affordable option. It offers 20% savings for annual payments, and the price drops substantially when you add more users. All plans provide softphone apps for Android, iOS, Mac, and Windows devices. The apps feature a work inbox, making it easy to separate professional and personal calls and messages.
Unlike other providers, Phone.com lets you mix and match plans, so you can select lower-priced packages for low-volume users to save money. Plans start at $10.39 per user, per month when paid annually for one to four users. But the cost drops to about $7.19 per user, per month for 25 or more users.
- Softphone apps: Use your personal devices for business tasks, such as faxing, calling, or text messaging. The apps keep your private and professional lives separate while offering an in-app address book for business contacts.
- “Follow Me” feature: For business users on the move, the “Follow Me” option is a time-saver. Simply enter numbers to forward calls to, and it’ll ring each one in your designated order to ensure you never miss a call.
- Call handling: Delight callers with custom greetings, call routing, and on-hold music. Plus, you can set up a dial-by-name directory, so callers reach the right person.
Grasshopper: Better for Small Teams Wanting a Virtual Number
*Rates are based on annual billing, but monthly plans are available at a higher cost.
Grasshopper is a virtual number provider, meaning it forwards calls to an existing cell phone number and can’t replace your current business phone system. However, it’s one of the best-known companies on the market, and Grasshopper is designed for small businesses wanting a simple, user-friendly softphone app.
The apps work on Mac, Windows, Android, and iOS devices. Unlike other providers, Grasshopper doesn’t charge a per-user fee. Instead, you add employees to extensions for one flat monthly rate. Prices start at $26 per month when billed annually.
- Mobile and desktop softphone apps: The softphone apps are intuitive and easy to set up and use. It supports text messaging, calling, and voicemail notifications. In addition, you can view your call history or read voicemail transcriptions.
- Multiple extensions: Grasshopper differs from other providers because it doesn’t charge a per-user fee. For instance, the top-tier plan offers unlimited extensions, so you make your entire workforce reachable via their private extension.
- Instant response: This unique feature immediately sends out a custom text when you miss a call. Your message includes brand images and hyperlinks. Plus, customers can respond to the text with callback details.
Discover more features and see if it is a good fit for your business by reading our Grasshopper review.
8×8: A Good Fit for Companies With an International Presence
*Prices are based on a yearly payment, but monthly plans are available, and volume discounts apply for 100 or more users.
8×8 is a comprehensive VoIP service that works equally well for small businesses and enterprises. The softphone apps, called 8×8 Work, are available on Android, iOS, Mac, and Windows devices. Business owners can mix and match plans, so you select the inexpensive entry-level plan for U.S.-based users who don’t call internationally and pricier options for global calling. As a unified communications platform, 8×8 supports video, audio, texting, and collaboration via one application. Prices start at $12 per user, per month.
- Softphone apps: The 8×8 Work app is an all-in-one tool for mobile and desktop devices. It allows users to access voice, video, chat, and fax functions. Additionally, call flip lets you switch devices mid-call.
- International capabilities: Develop a global business presence by adding local or toll-free numbers in over 120 countries. Plus, X Series plans offer unlimited international phone calls to up to 47 countries.
- Chat rooms: Create public or private chat rooms to meet with teams or clients across the globe. Users share files, @mention other employees, and display their presence status.
CounterPath Bria: Better for Consolidating Multiple VoIP Services
*All prices are based on an annual payment, and monthly options aren’t available.
Unlike other options on our list, CounterPath Bria is a standalone softphone application. It connects to your business SIP system, existing small business VoIP services, or private branch exchange (PBX) systems. It’s a good option for employees and contractors who use multiple services for communication but want to answer calls from all of them without downloading numerous applications.
The softphone app works on iOS, Android, Mac, and Windows devices. Users can access most VoIP features with the app, including click-to-dial, call recording, and call transfer. There’s a free option for solopreneurs, and team pricing starts at $4.95 per user, per month with an annual contract.
CounterPath Bria Features
- Softphone apps: CounterPath Bria softphone apps offer interoperability with most VoIP services, meaning you use one application to handle calls through multiple phone systems. The softphone app lets you see the presence status of everyone on your contact list.
- Team messaging: Create one-to-one or group chat rooms where you share screens, drag and drop files, and open or join a video meeting with one click.
- Video conferencing: If your VoIP provider supports video conferencing, then the Bria softphone app delivers high-definition video and audio quality. It also gives you the option of creating shareable conference room links.
ZoiPer: Best for Employee-to-Employee Calling
ZoiPer is a softphone app that works on Linux, Mac, Windows, Android, and iOS devices. It differs from other applications because it offers a software development kit (SDK), enabling corporations to customize the app code. It works with most PBX, SIP, and VoIP systems and supports your current plan’s functions. The free version supports calling between ZoiPer users, whereas the licensed desktop app is a one-time fee of $49.95. It includes updates, and you can reset the license for new computers up to three times.
- Softphone apps: The ZoiPer apps integrate with your contact lists, lets you change your ringtones for different VoIP accounts, and allows customization of your app’s color schemes.
- Branding: Design a custom phone app for your team by adding your logo and brand name and creating user groups with different features and access levels.
- Team calling: ZoiPer is a simple way to connect your employees for free using a mobile app. Or get advanced features and free user-to-user calls by purchasing a desktop license.
The right softphone app makes a huge difference in your employee and customer experiences. High-quality options provide high-definition video and audio, integrate with address books, and are easy for employees to use.
While several great options exist, RingCentral stands out for its ease of use and multidevice functionality. It’s an all-in-one platform, giving your teams and clients one space to communicate and collaborate in real time.