Grasshopper is one of the best virtual phone solutions available today because it is powerful and easy to use. However, there are plenty of alternatives on the market that offer features Grasshopper does not. We took a look at the best Grasshopper alternatives on the market and evaluated them based on pricing, features, and usability.
Top 6 Grasshopper Alternatives 2020
|Grasshopper Alternative||Best For|
(Best Overall) Teams wanting a free alternative with strong, basic features
Businesses that want a virtual phone number combined with a complete business phone system
Organizations that want an alternative to Grasshopper with monthly bundles of minutes
Companies looking for a phone service that supports international numbers
Businesses that need a Grasshopper alternative that includes integrated faxing
Teams seeking a call center solution that works on desktop devices as well as on smartphones
Last updated on 04/03/20
Which Grasshopper Alternative is Right for You?
Answer a few questions about your business and we'll give you personalized product match
How We Evaluated Grasshopper Alternatives
In order to be a viable Grasshopper alternative, a competitor’s phone system must make it easy for small business users to call, text, and check voicemail. However, the best alternatives also maintain high-call quality and offer advanced features like auto-attendants while remaining affordably priced.
Based on these factors, we recommend Google Voice to most small business users looking for an alternative to Grasshopper. Google Voice provides unlimited domestic calling and texting free of charge. It also provides a local phone number for almost anywhere in the United States. It is also exceptionally easy to use. However, it may not be the best option for you.
Google Voice: Best Overall Grasshopper Alternative for Small Businesses
Google Voice is a free virtual phone service provider that comes with unlimited domestic calling, SMS, and voicemail. The service, which is free, also offers customers a free local phone number for almost any location in the United States. Google Voice is a basic option, but the fact that it is free makes it one of the best Grasshopper alternatives on the market.
Google Voice Strengths
Google Voice Weaknesses
Lacks an automated attendant
Lets you record and save calls
Does not offer multi-extension support
You can select your number
Does not offer toll-free numbers
Google Voice Pricing
- VoIP app: Free app to use on either a desktop or a mobile device.
- International calls: Priced starting at 1 cent per minute.
Google Voice Features
- Call screening: Greets callers and asks them to identify themselves before passing that information along to you.
- Call management: Comes with a full set of tools for handling calls, such as call forward, call block, mute, hold, and more.
- Phone numbers: Gives you the ability to choose a free local phone number for almost any area code in the country. This is ideal in two ways: You can either assume the identity of the area in which your company is located, or you can appear as though your business is established in another part of the country.
RingCentral: Best Grasshopper Alternative With a Complete VoIP System
RingCentral is a voice-over-internet-protocol (VoIP) telephony service that provides features such as unlimited calling, voicemail, and an automated attendant. RingCentral offers plans starting at $19.99 per user, per month on an annual basis and offers advanced features like video chat, file sharing, and more. It is an ideal fit for growing teams that want a powerful business phone system that helps their overall communications workflow.
Does not require an existing phone line
Expensive compared to Grasshopper
Supports video conferencing of up to 200 people & toll-free numbers
May be more robust of a solution than you need
Offers file sharing in addition to voice calling
- Multiple pricing plans: Range from $19.99 to $49.99 per user, per month for two to 19 users on an annual basis.
- Available discounts: Volume discounts are available as you add more users. In addition, RingCentral is offering those in K-12, healthcare, or non-profit industries free service for three months.
From now through December 31st, RingCentral is offering 25% off on all new subscription plans, as well as two months of free service. Check out RingCentral’s website today for more information.
- Automated attendant: All versions of RingCentral offer an automated attendant to greet callers and route them to the extension of their choice.
- Call management: RingCentral comes with controls for call block, forward, hold, and more.
- Phone numbers: The service gives you the choice of adopting either a local or toll-free phone number with each new account.
Go to our RingCentral user reviews page for more reviews.
Phone.com: Best Grasshopper Alternative for Vanity Numbers
Phone.com is a Grasshopper alternative that provides companies with a custom vanity number as well as other functions like an automated attendant, voicemail, and more. It is a good fit for teams that want a customized phone number, like 1-800-FLOWERS, that is both novel and easy for your audience to remember.
Offers vanity numbers
Does not offer international numbers in all locations
Gives you the option to pay for the minutes you use
Lacks a multilevel auto-attendant
Matches Grasshopper for features
- Subscription pricing plans: Monthly and annual plans range from $22.99 to $27.99 per user extension for unlimited calling.
- Pay-as-you-go: Phone.com also offers flexible pay-as-you go plans that cost between $12.99 to $39.99 per month depending on the number of minutes purchased.
- Automated attendant: Each Phone.com plan offers an automated attendant similar to that offered by Grasshopper.
- Call management: Phone.com offers the same range of call management modules that other business telephony systems have, making it a direct alternative to Grasshopper in a one-on-one comparison.
- Phone numbers: Phone.com offers toll-free and local phone numbers just like Grasshopper. However, it differs from Grasshopper in the sense that it has a much more intuitive module for choosing a customized vanity number such as 1-800-FLOWERS.
VirtualPhone.com: Best Grasshopper Alternative for International Numbers
VirtualPhone.com, which starts at $9 per month, is a phone service that provides users with virtual numbers from more than 100 countries. On top of that, it offers unlimited extensions, voicemail, and an automated attendant. The platform’s robust feature set, along with its low priced plans, made it a good Grasshopper alternative for companies that do businesses internationally.
Competitively priced plans
Unintuitive user interface
Offers local, toll-free, and international numbers
May require an additional 3rd-party solution for faxing
Supports text messaging & phone conferencing
- Free starter plan: VirtualPhone.com offers 100 minutes or texts for free.
- Subscription pricing plans: VirtualPhone.com offers monthly plans that range from $9 all the way up to $499 per month.
- Pay-as-you-go: The service charges 1.9 cents per minute without a monthly subscription.
- Automated attendant: VirtualPhone.com provides prerecorded greetings for your calls in addition to an automated attendant.
- Call management: The system includes standard call management modules like call forward, hold, and block, as well as phone conferencing.
- Phone numbers: VirtualPhone.com gives you the option of adopting a number in another country.
eVoice: Best Grasshopper Alternative for Faxing
eVoice is a Grasshopper alternative that comes with integrated faxing capabilities on top of business telephony features like call forwarding, texting, and an auto-attendant for as little as $6.25 per user, per month. This makes eVoice a solid choice for real estate agents, freelancers, and other kinds of professionals who need better faxing functionality than what Grasshopper offers.
Low-cost pricing plans
Call recording and costs extra
Supports faxing as well as business calling
Vanity and international numbers are not free
Offers call queuing
Customer service can be slow to respond
- Pricing plans: eVoice offers four distinct pricing plans ranging from $6.25 to $16.25 per user, per month, but the lowest-level plan does not support inbound faxing.
- Outbound faxing: Costs an additional $1.95 per user, per month.
- Auto-attendant: eVoice has an auto-attendant that greets your customers and routes them to an extension of their choosing. You can either choose a default greeting, record a new one, or have a professional voice-over artist do it.
- Call management: You can block, route, and screen calls via the caller ID feature, making eVoice a direct competitor to Grasshopper in terms of call management. You can also record calls for an additional fee.
- Phone numbers: eVoice lets you choose between a local or toll-free phone number. Vanity and international numbers are also available, but those have an additional monthly charge depending on what you want.
Talkroute: Best Grasshopper Alternative for Call Center
Talkroute, which offers plans starting at $19 per month, is a Grasshopper competitor that offers a handful of unique features that work well for call center staff. It comes with live call transfer, call queuing, and reports that provide all sorts of data points on your staff call activity. It is ideal for any business that wants what amounts to virtualized call center features in their phone system.
Does not let you pick an international number
Features call queuing and live call transfer
Call recording is only available on premium plans
Lets you use your own hold music
- Pricing plans: Talkroute has three small business plans that range from $19 to $59 per month.
- Add-ons: Additional phone numbers, users, or voicemail boxes can be added to your service package at a cost of $5 per month.
- Auto-attendant: Talkroute offers an auto-attendant like other systems, but also includes call queuing, which means that when a large number of people call at once, they will be connected on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Call management: Talkroute goes a step beyond Grasshopper and other solutions by offering features like live call transfer.
- Hold music: You can choose from a variety of different hold music files or even upload your own files to the solution.
- Phone numbers: Talkroute offers both toll-free and local phone numbers, which makes it even with Grasshopper in this regard. However, it lacks international number capabilities like VirtualPhone.com.
Bottom Line: Grasshopper Phone Alternatives
Grasshopper is a fantastic virtual phone system, but it’s not for everyone. There is no shortage of useful solutions on the market that do certain things better than Grasshopper. This includes things like faxing, call center features, and more.
We recommend that anyone looking for a Grasshopper alternative consider Google Voice. It is a free, no-frills solution that comes with features that paid systems lack, like standard call recording. All you need is a free Google account.