This article is part of a larger series on Hiring.
LinkedIn has quickly become a top spot for job seekers and companies looking to hire new employees, with more than half a billion members (in more than 200 countries). Your first step to finding quality talent is learning how to post a job on LinkedIn. We will guide you through a quick step-by-step process to getting your jobs posted (for free). We’ve spelled out the steps below and in a short tutorial video.
Step 1: Create a Company Page
To set up a LinkedIn company page, you must first have a personal profile that includes your full name. You can set one up easily by clicking Join Now on the LinkedIn homepage and following the prompts. Once you have completed this, you can create a company page.
Note: Do not set up a personal profile using a company name. This will cause your account to be flagged and removed from LinkedIn.
To set up your company page, follow these steps:
- Click the Work icon in the top right corner of your personal LinkedIn homepage. This will bring a drop-down menu where you can select Create a Company Page at the bottom of the list.
- Follow the guided prompts and select the type of page you wish to create:
- Company Page
- Showcase Page (for individual brands, initiatives, etc.)
- Educational Institution
- Once you choose the type of page you want (most likely a Company Page), you will be prompted to enter your company information. On this page, provide your company name, URL, and industry details; then upload your business logo.
- After you have entered all company information, check the verification box at the bottom and click Create Page.
Step 2: Post a Job for Free
Posting a job on LinkedIn is free. From your personal LinkedIn profile’s dashboard, click the Work icon and then the Post a Job icon from the drop-down menu. This will bring you to a form to fill in your job information. Enter the job title, company name, workplace type (i.e., on-site, hybrid, or remote), employee location, and employment type. Once you fill in all the fields, click Get Started For Free.
For enhanced strategies and robust hiring tools, consider using LinkedIn Recruiter to find your next employee.
Step 3: Create Your Job Details
After entering your job information (e.g., title, company, and location), the next screen will prompt you to enter your job details, including the job description and any skills requirements. Once you have filled out this portion in detail, you can move to the next section by clicking Continue at the bottom of your screen. Enter the following information:
- Job description: Enter your job description (required) in the text box. Be as specific as possible and include job duties and skills and education requirements.
- Skills: Specify the skills needed for the job by clicking the Add Skill icon.
Step 4: Enter Applicant Options
Once the job details are filled in, click Continue at the bottom right-hand corner of the page, and your applicant options page will appear. First, decide how you want to receive applications—either through email (recommended) or an external website (directs the candidate to apply outside of LinkedIn).
Choosing to receive applications by email will allow you to add screening questions, which can help weed out or identify the specific qualifiers you want candidates to confirm befpre submitting their resumes. LinkedIn will offer two recommended questions. You can choose to keep those or click the X to remove them and add your own or select from LinkedIn’s list of possible questions.
You can also make any screening question a must-have qualification. If you use this option, LinkedIn will automatically filter applicants out and send rejection emails to any who don’t meet those qualifications.
Step 5: Promote Your Posted Job
Following the completion of your job posting, you have the option to continue with a free post or set a budget for a promoted job post. Promoting your job post ensures a top position in search results, top placement in job recommendations, instant mobile alerts to qualified candidates, and a larger pool of estimated monthly applicants.
Your budget can be daily or total (the maximum amount you will spend). Your daily budget must be greater than $7 per day—LinkedIn will provide you with a recommended daily budget based on jobs with similar titles and locations so that you can get the most out of your job posting.
If you do not wish to promote your job, then simply click Select Free to post your free job listing. LinkedIn will then offer you a three-day free trial to promote your listing.
Step 6: Process Payment
If you choose to promote your job listing, you will be prompted to submit payment. Once your job is promoted, you will receive priority placement in search results, targeted job alerts to candidates, and promotion in premium job advertisement channels.
To process your payment, simply use your default credit card on file or click Add Payment Method to submit a new card. You only pay when someone views your job, and you can change your budget and close your job at any time.
Step 7: Improve Your Job Post
After you have completed the job details and applicant options and decided whether or not to promote your job, you can improve your job post. This includes:
- Adding your job post to your personal profile
- Adding LinkedIn skills assessments (you will be notified when applicants pass the assessments with a 70% or higher)
- Printing a Help Wanted sign (uses a QR code that directs job seekers to your LinkedIn job postings)
- Adding compensation information (displayed at the top of your job posting; helps your job show up in more search results)
- Selecting benefits provided by your company to display on your ad
Step 8: Manage Your Posted Jobs
After you have posted your job, you can refer back to it for a number of needs—such as making adjustments to the job, updating a payment method, and reviewing applicants.
Learning how to post a job on LinkedIn is easy and using the platform can generate positive results for many companies looking to find the most qualified candidates. Simply follow the above steps and online prompts throughout LinkedIn to post your job in 15 minutes or less. Best of all, it’s free—but for a daily amount that is within your budget, your job will be promoted for a greater reach.