Stamps.com is a desktop app and cloud-based platform that lets businesses buy postage online. Through its integrations with the United States Postal Service (USPS) and United Parcel Service (UPS), business owners can use Stamps.com to print postage and shipping labels without making a stop at the post office. Users can save even more time by scheduling package pickup straight from their place of business. Monthly plans start at $17.99, and postage costs are discounted over standard USPS and UPS prices.
Who Stamps.com Is Right For
Stamps.com is typically best for businesses that ship anywhere from 50 to 500 orders per month. So, if you have an ecommerce business or brick-and-mortar shop with a high shipping volume, it may be a good fit. Likewise, if your business relies heavily on metered mail, you’re more likely to benefit from the savings available through Stamps.com. That said, lower volume businesses may be better suited to shipping providers with a lower—or no—monthly fee such as ShippingEasy or Shippo.
Shipping using Stamps.com works best for:
- Ecommerce businesses. If your business sends a lot of packages to customers who place orders on your website, Stamps.com may be a good fit. For example, an ecommerce store owner who does a lot of shipping can save time and money by purchasing reduced cost postage and scheduling free package pickups.
- Brick-and-mortar stores. Also consider Stamps.com if your business ships between multiple storefronts or sends orders to out-of-state customers who can’t make it into your shop.
- Offices that mail client invoices. Likewise, if your office sends out a large volume of mail for billing or other business, you can print shipping labels and postage in-house rather than waiting in line at the post office and paying full price.
Pros & Cons of Stamps.com
While Stamps.com is a smart option for many business owners, it may not be the best fit for everyone. Before committing to a paid plan, consider the advantages and disadvantages of using Stamps.com for postage.
|Free postage scale provided||Monthly subscription starting at $17.99|
|Convenient to print labels at home and schedule package pickups||If you cancel your Stamps.com account, you’ll lose the shipping records for the account|
|Significant postage Discounts||Stamps.com desktop app is not compatible with iOS. Mac users must use the web-based version|
Using Stamps.com can save some businesses time and money. That said, you should pay close attention to monthly shipping needs and profit margins to determine whether the Stamps.com subscription fee is worth it.
Certified mail forms
*Also known as “Cost Codes” or “Reason Codes” and allow you to assign a category to items you ship.
Did you know? ShipStation is a product of Stamps.com and is our top-recommended order fulfillment software. You can upgrade for $9 per month.
Stamps.com’s free trial offers new users access to the platform for four weeks. This includes a free five-pound digital scale, $5 in free postage to use during the trial, a free supplies kit, and $20 in postage redeemable after the trial ends. You can also opt-in to a 60-day free trial of ShipStation, the advanced version of Stamps.com.
Customers who cancel before the trial ends won’t be charged; those who cancel after the trial ends are charged up to one additional service fee plus applicable taxes. Alternatively, customers who stay with Stamps.com after the trial period must pay for the trial month plus future months of service.
In addition to paying monthly fees, Stamps.com users pay for actual shipping costs. Postage is calculated based on what’s being shipped, where it’s going, and how much it weighs. However, Stamps.com users typically save on costs over using the USPS.
For example, a regular First-Class Mail letter costs $0.55 (for 1 ounce) through the USPS; if you use Stamps.com, you’ll pay $0.51. Customers can also take advantage of discounts up to 62% when shipping UPS packages through Stamps.com.
Examples of Stamps.com Postage Pricing for 2021
Post Office/Retail Rates
First-Class Mail letter (1 oz.)
First-Class Mail Flat/Large Envelope (1 oz.)
Priority Mail Padded Flat Rate Envelope
Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Box
Priority Mail Express Packages (0.5 lb.)
$22.75 and up
$26.35 and up
Priority Mail Express Flat Rate Envelope
Beyond just printing postage and shipping labels, Stamps.com makes it easy to schedule USPS pickups, print packing slips, and track expenses with the platform’s reporting tools. Stamps.com features include:
- Packing slips. Stamps.com lets business owners easily customize and print packing slips with their company logo.
- Shipping labels. Users can pay for postage from their home or office and print shipping labels from any printer. Stamps.com even makes it easy to print postage and labels directly on the envelope.
- Bulk printing. If using a Windows-based computer, Stamps.com customers can use the desktop app to bulk print shipping labels. Mac Users: Use Stamps.com Online to print postage from any web browser.
- SCAN forms. When sending multiple boxes in a group shipment, customers can use a SCAN form to create a master barcode. This way, each box is tracked in a shipment.
- Hidden postage cost. Users can further customize their shipping experience by printing labels that don’t disclose the cost of postage. This is important for business owners who don’t want recipients to see how much shipping costs.
- Shipping insurance. In addition to paying for basic postage, users can add insurance coverage to individual packages.
- Customer notifications. Users can customize their settings so Stamps.com automatically sends customers an email when their package ships. Customers can then subscribe to receive tracking updates.
- Reporting. Business owners can use the Stamps.com reporting tools to track postage costs, expenses, and claims.
- Pickup scheduling. Stamps.com lets users schedule free USPS pickup without having to visit a post office.
- Return labels. If a customer initiates a return, Stamps.com users can email a return label the customer can print out and use to send back the product.
How to Use Stamps.com
Stamps.com can also be used to print packing slips, purchase shipping insurance, and update customers on their order status. Not only does printing labels through Stamps.com make order fulfillment easier, but it can also help business owners save on shipping with its reduced rates on postage. USPS postal rates are reduced for certain types of mail and packages, and users can save up to 62% on shipping via UPS. This makes it easy to handle your ecommerce shipping and handling needs.
To get started using Stamps.com for your business, follow these steps:
1. Sign Up for a Free Trial
Getting started with a Stamps.com account is easy. You’ll need to fill out a short form with your email address, username, and password. The form will also ask how you heard about Stamps.com and what you plan to use the service for—business mail, packages, or home use.
After entering login information, input your address and credit card details to begin your free four-week trial. If you do not wish to continue using Stamps.com, be sure to cancel your trial within the first four weeks.
2. Integrate Your Sales Platform
If your business uses an ecommerce platform or online marketplaces like Shopify, Etsy, or eBay, you can integrate the tools with Stamps.com and import orders, as well as names and addresses for seamless shipping.
Stamps.com also works with most ecommerce platforms including Shopify and BigCommerce. Once a label is printed through Stamps.com, the order status updates in the sales platform. Stamps.com already integrates with more than 70 platforms, and businesses can register for a developer account to create additional custom integrations.
3. Print Postage or Shipping Labels
When it’s time to send a package, input the weight and dimensions of your letter or package. You’ll also include the shipping destination and how soon you need your package to arrive. The process is fairly automated, as Stamps.com will choose the most affordable and fastest shipping option based on the information you entered.
Businesses can use any laser, inkjet, or high-speed thermal printer to print postage and shipping, so no special equipment is required. Using Stamps.com, businesses can also generate return shipping labels and print them to send with the package, or send to customers digitally upon request.
4. Schedule Free Package Pickup
Through the Stamps.com dashboard, you can schedule a free package pickup to ship out your orders. Alternately, you can also drop off your packages at any post office.
5. Let Customers Track Their Orders
Once you print a shipping label for a customer order, you are emailed a Shipment Notification that includes an expected delivery date, link to the tracking number, and an optional customizable personal note.
Alternatives to Stamps.com
There are alternative options in the marketplace to Stamps.com that may offer different solutions that fit your business model. We researched the following providers and recommend them as alternatives to Stamps.com based on specific business needs, equipment, and overall functionality.
Shipping and Mailing Alternatives to Stamps.com
Businesses that want out-of-the-box hardware solutions
Provides mailing equipment, such as online postage as well as postage meters and the necessary ink
Lets you integrate USPS and other carrier services into your shipping platform
Ecommerce businesses that also need to optimize inventory and fulfillment
Totally web-based, so there’s no need to manage hardware
Users can mix and match shipping carriers to save the most money and works with stamps.com
Online merchants looking for a budget-friendly shipping solution
Connects with dozens of store platforms and does not require any specialized hardware
Discounted rates are available through USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, and other top carriers
Stamps.com is a convenient service and great value for small businesses and online sellers, particularly those operating out of their homes or small workspaces. Significant UPS and USPS postage discounts, along with automated Shipment Notifications and free package pickups, can save independent operators a lot of time. As your business grows, Stamps.com has the ShipStation integration upgrade, so the solution can scale with your needs.