One of the best features about today’s leading voice-over-internet-protocol (VoIP) systems is that they offer affordable, if not outright free, calling to international numbers. We looked at the best international calling services on the market and evaluated them based on cost, features, and usability. We then narrowed the selection down to the best six providers.
(Best Overall) Teams looking for unlimited calling to up to 52 countries
$25.95 per user, per month*
Organizations looking for unlimited international calling as well as contact center features such as call monitoring
$12 per user, per month
Businesses looking for powerful team collaboration and affordable international calling rates
$19.99 per user, per month**
Organizations with low monthly call volumes that are also looking for an international dial-in number
$9.99 per user, per month***
Teams that want free, high-definition video calling with optional telephony features
Solo workers and freelancers looking for a no-frills free service with international calling
*Pricing is for five to nine users. Volume discount pricing is available, as well as higher pricing for one to four users.
**Pricing is for two to 19 users on an annual basis. Monthly plans are available for an extra cost, as are volume discounts and more expensive solo plans.
***Pricing is on an annual basis. Monthly plans are available for an extra fee.
****International calls are charged at a per-minute rate.
How We Evaluated International VoIP Calling Services
Small business VoIP services with international calling should make it easy for customers to make calls to different countries all over the world. They should offer either unlimited international calling at no extra cost, or at least offer reasonable calling rates. We also looked at the advanced features each service offers, such all call center capabilities, toll-free numbers, and automated attendants that can greet and route callers without human intervention.
We evaluated international VoIP calling services based on the following:
- Ease of use
- VoIP international calls
- Call management
- Call quality and reliability
- Software integrations
- Customer support
Based on these factors, we find that GoToConnect is the best overall choice for international VoIP calls. The system is easy to use and offers unlimited calling to 52 countries around the world. Additionally, it has features like video calling, mobile apps, and an automated attendant.
GoToConnect: Best Overall International VoIP Calling Service
What it is: GoToConnect is a VoIP service that offers unlimited calling to 52 countries. Pricing starts at $25.95 per user, per month for five to 9 users.
Why it’s great for businesses: GoToConnect offers an unmatched range of unlimited calling to countries while still coming at a price that most small businesses can afford. On top of this, it has a respectable feature set that matches the competition. For teams that want to make calls to as many countries as possible, GoToConnect is a fantastic choice.
Unlimited calling to 52 countries
Could be expensive for smaller teams
No features locked behind premium packages
User interface (UI) somewhat dated compared to the competition
Lacks powerful call center capabilities
- One to four users: $29.95 per user, per month
- Five to nine users: $25.95 per user, per month
- 10 to 24 users: $23.95 per user, per month
- 25 to 49 users: $21.95 per user, per month
- 50+ users: $19.95 per user, per month
- 100+ users: Customized pricing
- International calling: GoToConnect offers unlimited calling to 52 countries, which puts it ahead of the competition.
- Automated attendant: The software can automatically greet and route your callers without your human staff needing to answer the call.
- Mobile apps: GoToConnect offers apps for iOS and Android so that you can effectively take your work phone wherever you go.
8×8: Best International VoIP Service for Contact Centers
What it is: 8×8 is a VoIP system that offers both international calling to up to 47 countries and features that lend themselves well to call center environments. Pricing plans start at just $12 per user, per month.
Why it’s great for businesses: Depending on which package you choose, 8×8 offers unlimited calls to many different overseas locations. On top of that, you can get powerful features, such as call queuing, live monitoring, and other features, that lend themselves well to contact centers. If you need to handle a large number of incoming calls and make calls to contacts outside the country, 8×8 could be your perfect system.
Unlimited calling for up to 47 countries
Countries locked behind select packages
Live monitoring, team messaging, and other call center modules
Not as intuitive as other solutions
Cheap entry-level package
Somewhat clunky UI
- 8×8 Express: $12 per user, per month with a basic auto-attendant and domestic calling
- X2: $25 per user, per month with call data analytics and calling for up to 14 countries
- X4: $45 per user, per month with advanced call queuing, skills-based routing, and unlimited calling for up to 47 countries
- International calling: 8×8’s most expensive version offers unlimited calling to 47 countries, which puts it behind GoToConnect but ahead of other competitors we looked at.
- Contact center functionality: Depending on which package you choose, 8×8 comes with features like automated routing based on team member skill, analytics on what your staff is doing on the phone, and call recording.
- Phone numbers: 8×8 offers the choice of either a local number or a toll-free number with a 1-800 prefix, just like most of its competitors.
For more information on how 8×8 can help your business, check out our 8×8 user reviews page.
RingCentral: Most Feature-rich International VoIP Calling Service
What it is: RingCentral is a business phone system that offers affordable rates on international calls. Pricing plans start at just $19.99 per user, per month for two to 19 users on an annual basis.
Why it’s great for businesses: RingCentral does not offer unlimited calling to nearly as many countries as the likes of GoToConnect and 8×8. However, it comes with a best-in-class feature set that offers tools such as HD video conferencing, mobile apps, and automated attendants that are exceptionally easy to use.
Affordable international calling rates
Lacks unlimited international calling to many countries
Smooth, modern user interface
Features locked behind premium packages
Multilevel automated attendant
Could be overkill for smaller teams
- Essentials: $19.99 per user, per month for up to 20 users, 100 toll-free minutes, unlimited calling, and unlimited texting*
- Standard: $24.99 per user, per month with unlimited audio conferencing, 1,000 toll-free minutes, and video meetings for up to 100 participants*
- Premium: $34.99 per user, per month with unlimited call recording, 2,500 toll-free minutes, analytics, and integrations with outside business software*
- Ultimate: $49.99 per user, per month with device status reports, 10,000 toll-free minutes, and unlimited storage*
*Pricing is on an annual basis for two to 19 users. Volume discounts are available, and so are monthly plans that come at an extra cost.
In an attempt to ease some of the strain caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, RingCentral has temporarily made their Office Premium tier free for K-12 educators, healthcare providers, and nonprofit organizations. This offer provides, among other things, a free automated attendant and video conferencing for up to 100 people. You can read their COVID-19 offer page for more details.
- International calling: RingCentral charges reasonable per-minute rates to countries all over the world.
- Mobile apps: RingCentral offers some of the most intuitive mobile apps on the VoIP market.
- Video calling: The system offers high definition video calling for up to 200 people at once.
For more details on RingCentral and its features, go to our RingCentral user reviews page.
Phone.com: Best International VoIP Service for Low Call Volumes
What it is: Phone.com is a business VoIP service that stands apart from competitors for offering both unlimited and pay-as-you-go plans. International calling is available at a per-minute rate. Pricing for the system starts as low as $9.99 per month on an annual basis.
Why it’s great for businesses: Mainstream systems like GoToConnect and RingCentral are fantastic for companies with high monthly call volumes, but teams that don’t make a lot of calls may find themselves effectively paying for call time they don’t need. Phone.com offers a more affordable alternative while still including features like an auto-attendant and calling to many different countries worldwide. It’s a perfect fit for businesses looking to save money via a pay-as-you-go plan.
Reasonable international calling rates
Clunky UI compared to other systems
No unlimited international calling to most countries
Standard auto-attendant with all plans
Pay-per-minute plans can add up to be costly
- Base: $9.99 per month for 300 monthly minutes or $24.99 per month for unlimited calling*
- Plus: $14.99 per month for 500 monthly minutes or $32.99 per month for unlimited calling*
- Pro: Starts at $29.99 per month for unlimited monthly minutes or $49.99 per month for unlimited calling*
*Pricing is on an annual basis. Monthly plans are available for an additional fee.
- International calling rates: Phone.com offers some of the most affordable international calling rates on the market.
- Flexible pricing plans: Phone.com offers plans with both unlimited call time and set bundles of minutes. These options let you choose a configuration that’s best for your needs.
- Automated attendant: Even the cheapest version of the service comes standard with an auto-attendant to handle all of your call traffic.
Zoom: Best International Video Calling Service
What it is: Zoom is a videoconferencing platform that allows HD calling among users all over the world. A free version is available, with a paid version starting at $149.90 per host, per year.
Why it’s great for businesses: If your main goal is simply talking to your international contacts, it’s worth noting in this guide that you don’t necessarily need a phone service to do so. Instead, you can easily hold video calls via the free or paid versions of Zoom. This software is a great choice for teams seeking a more affordable alternative to a paid VoIP service.
Free plan available
Meeting length is limited in free plan
Easy to use
Dial-in features require a paid plan
Make calls from any device
- Basic: Free with meetings of up to 100 participants with 40-minute meeting limits
- Pro: $149.90 per host, per year with unlimited group meetings of up to 100 people and 1GB of cloud recordings*
- Business: $199.90 per host, per year for meetings for up to 300 people at once as well as cloud recording transcripts and custom branding; requires at least 10 licenses*
- Enterprise: $199.90 per license, per year with meetings for up to 500 people and a dedicated customer success manager; requires at last 100 licenses*
*Pricing is on an annual basis. Monthly plans are also available at a higher price. Additional features such as dial-in options are available starting at $1,200 per year.
- International calling: Zoom allows you to make free calls to any other person with the app installed on their computer or phone, regardless of what country they are in.
- Mobile apps: Zoom offers one of the most intuitive mobile apps on the video conferencing market.
- Screen sharing: All versions of Zoom allow you to share the contents of your screen with other people on the call.
Google Voice: Best Free International VoIP Calling Service
What it is: Google Voice is a free virtual phone service that offers international calling at a per-minute rate.
Why it’s great for businesses: As a virtual phone service, Google Voice requires an existing line to forward calls from. However, the system comes at no cost for domestic calling and texting; the only cost comes from any rates you incur from international calling. This offer could be a great fit for freelancers who need a dedicated business line and only need to make occasional calls to overseas numbers.
Google Voice Strengths
Google Voice Weaknesses
Free phone service
International calling costs money
Choose from local numbers all over the United States
Lacks automated attendant
Mobile and desktop apps
No video calling
Google Voice Pricing
- Google voice is completely free to use, except for international calling, which starts at $0.02 per minute.
Google Voice Features
- Free domestic calling: Google Voice lets you place domestic calls at no cost, which could help offset the international calling rates you incur.
- Local phone numbers: The service lets you adopt a phone number from nearly any area code in the United States.
- International calling: Call nearly any country in the world starting at just 2 cents per minute.
For more details, visit our Google Voice reviews page.
How to Make an International VoIP Call
To make an international call, you will first need to identify the country code of the number you want to reach. Countrycode.org is a fantastic resource for finding these codes. Once you enter the country code, simply enter the rest of the number in the same way you would if you were calling a local extension. Depending on what service you have, the country code might auto-enter when you dial the number.
Be sure to look up the fine print of your provider’s international calling rates. Many providers consider mobile and landline extensions within the same country to count as different types of numbers and charge different rates. Others treat all numbers from a country as the same. In fact, we recommend confirming this information with a sales representative before committing to a service.
Small business VoIP systems provide many advanced features that simply aren’t possible with a landline service, and the affordability of international calling is one of the biggest highlights. While many landlines charge a per-minute rate to any calls placed outside of the caller’s area code, VoIP services offer unlimited calling to overseas numbers all over the world. This feature can save business users hundreds of dollars a month in service fees.
If you are in the market for a new phone system, and international calling is a top priority, we recommend GoToConnect for most teams. The service offers a respectable feature set and is easy to use, but the fact that it offers unlimited calls to so many different countries makes it our overall pick. Check out the company’s website to learn more.