Global expansion can be a boon, but not all voice-over-internet-protocol (VoIP) services are equal for making affordable and reliable international calls. The best international VoIP calling plans support customers and employees worldwide with call forwarding features for international, local, and toll-free numbers. In addition, some solutions provide unlimited calling to dozens of countries and a variety of call management features.
The best services for VoIP international calls based on our research are:
- RingCentral: Best overall for VoIP international calls and companies needing a unified communications platform
- 8×8: Good option for businesses wanting unlimited international calling and the ability to mix and match plans
- Zoom: Most suitable for teams looking for more than 90 international dial-in numbers for meetings
- Phone.com: Best for companies with low call volumes wanting affordable international rates and phone numbers
- GoToConnect: A good fit for businesses needing inexpensive toll-free minutes and unlimited international calling plans
- Google Voice: Better for solopreneurs wanting a free phone system to connect with customers and co-workers worldwide
How We Evaluated the Best Services for VoIP International Calls
To compare providers, we first looked for must-have features found in the best business phone systems, such as mobile apps and virtual receptionists. Additionally, VoIP providers need to offer unlimited international calling or affordable rates for companies with lower call volumes.
We also looked for advanced features and solutions that help small businesses create a global presence using international local or toll-free numbers. Finally, we rated each provider based on popularity and our firsthand expertise.
RingCentral wins first place for the service providing the best VoIP international calls and a unified communications platform, scoring 4.59 out of 5 in our evaluation. It offers affordable per-minute rates, international phone numbers, and call forwarding to global locations. Learn more about our top pick in our RingCentral review or take advantage of its free trial.
Discover how we evaluated the best services for VoIP international calls by clicking on the following tabs:
20% of Overall Score
We reviewed free and paid subscriptions for VoIP international calling to uncover providers offering affordable plans, discounts for paying annually, and the type of free trial offered.
25% of Overall Score
We identified VoIP services that come with basic features, including SMS text messaging, voicemail, and an auto-attendant. Plus, we checked out the mobile and desktop apps of each provider.
30% of Overall Score
We examined the types of toll-free and vanity numbers offered in various geographic locations while assessing the costs associated with VoIP international calling. Moreover, we compared plans based on the availability of voicemail transcription and integrations.
25% of Overall Score
We evaluated providers by looking at the range of features offered, the overall value compared to the package cost, and the popularity of the service and features. Lastly, we considered ease of use when dialing internationally or setting up the VoIP system.
RingCentral: Best Overall & Best for Unified Communications
*Pricing based on two to 20 users. Annual prepayments save up to 33% off the above prices.
RingCentral earns our top spot for best service for VoIP international calls because it offers a global public branch exchange (PBX) in more than 40 countries. This enables your business to have an international workforce with localized interactive voice response (IVR) systems. In addition, RingCentral provides international dial-in numbers for audio and video meetings. U.S. and Canadian users can also send and receive international text messages.
However, RingCentral doesn’t offer unlimited international calling plans unless your company has 250 users. This means it can be a more expensive option compared to other services for those with heavier call volumes outside of the United States. For unlimited international calling, consider 8×8 or GoToConnect, as both support free international VoIP calls to dozens of countries.
- Service localization: Set up your IVR system by choosing from 14 languages, including French, Italian, traditional Chinese, and Spanish. Doing so gives your global agents localized voice prompts and lets callers hear your IVR menus in their own language.
- International numbers: Along with U.S. and Canadian local and toll-free numbers, RingCentral provides phone numbers for more than 100 global locations. You can purchase international calling credit bundles that roll over for up to 12 months.
- Unified communications: RingCentral is an all-in-one unified communications platform offering team messaging with searchable threads to assign tasks and share documents. Plus, it supports extension-to-extension calls between employees worldwide.
8×8: Better for Unlimited International Calling & Mix & Match Plans
*Save up to 25% with an annual prepayment on X-Series plans.
Unlike RingCentral, 8×8 allows users to mix and match plans. Therefore, you have the ability to pick the cheapest package for agents handling domestic calls and select an X-Series package for team members needing unlimited international calling to 14 or 47 countries. Likewise, Zoom lets you choose different plans for users but doesn’t provide unlimited international calling.
8×8 offers international inbound local and toll-free numbers in 121 countries, which is slightly more than RingCentral. In addition, 8×8’s virtual receptionist supports nine languages, including Spanish, French, and German. If you need language support for Chinese, Japanese, or Korean, choose RingCentral as it offers 14 languages.
All X-Series plans come with a multilevel auto-attendant and hot desking. However, video conferencing is limited to 100 participants regardless of the plan. For larger video meetings, try GoToConnect’s Premium package, which supports up to 250 attendees.
- VoIP international calling: With 8×8, avoid a large, unexpected bill for international calls if the countries are in an unlimited calling zone. Although GoToConnect supports more countries than 8×8, only Indonesia, Malaysia, Finland, and the Dominican Republic are free with 8×8.
- Call center capabilities: 8×8 provides call center features such as call monitoring, call barge, and call whisper. Plus, its intelligent automatic call distribution (ACD) tool offers skill-based routing. Learn about other call center tools in our 8×8 review.
- Integrations: Like RingCentral, 8×8 integrates with popular customer relationship management (CRM) systems and help desk software. Out-of-the-box connections come with all X-series plans, which are less expensive than RingCentral packages.
Zoom: Better for International Dial-in Numbers
*New Zoom Phone users save 25% with an annual prepayment of the Pro plan. The Metered package charges per-minute fees for all outbound calls.
Zoom is well-known for its free video meeting platform for up to 100 participants. It also earns a spot on our list of the best VoIP international calling services since it offers dial-in phone numbers for audio or video conferences in more than 120 countries, compared to RingCentral’s 55.
Zoom also provides low-cost small business VoIP services, with the Metered plan being the cheapest option out of all providers on our list. Like 8×8, Zoom comes with ACD as well as mobile and desktop apps.
Furthermore, all Zoom Phone plans feature free voicemail transcription, call recording, hot desking, and integrations with Salesforce, Slack, Microsoft, and Google. Many other VoIP systems exclude these features in entry-level plans.
- Add on unlimited VoIP international calls: If you frequently make calls to Australia, France, Germany, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Italy, or Spain, the $10 per month unlimited calling package is a good deal. But, if you need unlimited calling to India, consider GoToConnect or 8×8 plans.
- Coaching tools: You’ll pay nearly double the monthly price to get coaching tools with other VoIP providers. However, Zoom includes these in all plans, allowing you to record calls to assess performance and monitor, barge, whisper, or takeover calls.
- International numbers: Establish a global presence with a local number in more than 40 countries. This lets your global agents make unlimited calls within that country without incurring per-minute charges. Explore other features by checking out our Zoom review.
Phone.com: Better for Low-volume VoIP International Calling
*Phone.com offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, and volume discounts are available.
Phone.com offers no-frills phone packages for companies with low call volumes. However, it stands out because all plans charge U.S. local rates when calling landline numbers in France, Canada, Israel, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom, and iNum global numbers. Therefore, if you buy an unlimited calling package, it includes calls to these locations as well.
All plans come with an auto-attendant, screen sharing, and call forwarding. However, the plans lack advanced features found in Zoom and 8×8 packages, such as call recording, call whisper, and hot desking. Also, the two least expensive plans only support 10 or 25 video meeting attendees. For larger meetings at a similar price point, consider Zoom or 8×8.
- International numbers: For businesses wanting to establish a global presence, Phone.com’s $4.99 international numbers are cheaper than those purchased from RingCentral for $5.99. Additionally, 30 countries are supported, whereas Zoom offers more than 40 locations, and numbers are $5 each.
- Call routing: Although Phone.com isn’t as full-featured as other plans, it comes with a virtual receptionist for schedule-based call routing. It also includes a dial-by-name directory and on-hold music.
- Call analytics: The Pro plan features advanced reporting tools, allowing users to view details by date, time, extension, or number; however, other plans only provide call logs. If analytics are essential, try a Zoom plan, since all packages come with real-time analytics.
GoToConnect: Better for Toll-free Minutes & Unlimited International Calls
*Pricing is based on two to 10 users, and there are volume-based discounts. Save up to 12% with an annual prepayment.
GoToConnect supports the highest number of countries on its unlimited international VoIP calling plans―52, compared to 47 countries with 8×8. Moreover, it’s an excellent solution for companies receiving a high volume of inbound toll-free calls. It offers 1,000 and 5,000 toll-free minutes on the Standard and Premium plans, respectively. Extra toll-free minutes cost $0.019 each.
In contrast, comparable RingCentral plans provide 1,000 and 2,500 toll-free minutes, and RingCentral charges 3.9 cents for additional 1-800 minutes. Plus, RingCentral packages don’t include unlimited international calling. GoToConnect also provides the highest limits for video meetings, allowing up to 250 attendees versus just 100 with Zoom or 200 with RingCentral.
- Video meetings: Except for the entry-level plan, all calling packages include toll-free and international dial-in numbers, 25 simultaneous webcams, and one year of storage for meeting recordings and transcriptions. Like RingCentral, GoToConnect integrates with online calendars for seamless meeting scheduling.
- Call routing: GoToConnect plans come with one or more auto-attendants so you can customize where calls go based on preset rules. However, if you want skills-based routing, use an 8×8 X-Series plan with automatic call distribution.
- Collaboration: GoToConnect provides tools to keep teams connected, including screen sharing, in-session video chat, presence data, and unlimited team messaging.
Google Voice: Better for Free VoIP Calls & Affordable International Rates
If you’re a solopreneur, the Google Voice free plan is a good way to save money. Although it doesn’t provide unlimited calling to international locations, the per-minute costs are reasonable. Moreover, customers from any country can call your business without incurring fees on their end.
Paid plans come with mobile apps for iOS and Android devices, voicemail transcription, and call log details, such as user activity by number and location. However, Google Voice doesn’t support large video conferences or CRM integrations. In this case, a RingCentral or 8×8 package may be your better choice.
Google Voice Features
- Free tools: The Google Voice free plan comes with call recording and voicemail transcription, which are usually only offered on other provider’s paid tiers. Explore more free and paid tools in our Google Voice review.
- Google integration: Existing Google Workspace users get more from their software with a business phone integration. It lets you make calls from Gmail, along with connecting to your calendar and contacts.
- Conference calling: Although Google Voice doesn’t support large audio conferences, you can connect up to four people without having them dial in. Instead, they simply call your number, and you enable the conference call.
If your company is expanding worldwide, your phone bill may start increasing as well. Choosing a VoIP plan helps your business save money with low per-minute fees and affordable unlimited international calling plans. Start by comparing prices using our guide that answers the question “how much does international calling cost?”
In most cases, the cheapest way to call internationally or make free international calls is by selecting a plan with unlimited international calls, like plans offered by GoToConnect or 8×8. You could also establish a local number in a global location with Phone.com to make unlimited calls within that region.
Our top pick for international VoIP calling is RingCentral because it offers bundled international phone credits that roll over from month to month, and provides international numbers, including toll-free ones, in more than 40 countries. In addition, you can forward calls to employees in over 100 countries.