RingCentral is a full voice-over-internet-protocol (VoIP) solution for businesses that has plenty of features, including video and audio conferencing, SMS messaging, and voicemail-to-text. We examined alternatives to RingCentral, looking at criteria such as price, customer satisfaction, and ease of use to find our pick for the best overall RingCentral alternative.
Top RingCentral Alternatives & Competitors 2020
(Best Overall) Growing businesses that want amazing features, competitive pricing, and excellent customer service
Companies looking to select only the features that they want in a phone service
Businesses that make lots of international calls, but also need a full VoIP service
Organizations that don’t need extensive features and want to choose which ones they will use
Budget-conscious companies looking for quality service for a flat fee
Solopreneurs or small businesses only needing basic call management features from their phone service
Note: Pricing for each RingCentral competitor can vary based on how many users you have signed on to the service. Prices are also subject to change due to promotions and other factors.
There are many alternatives to RingCentral on the market today. So many, in fact, that choosing one can be overwhelming. Try our quiz to find the best service for you.
How We Evaluated RingCentral Alternatives
The ideal alternative to RingCentral is business phone service that is competitive in features but is offered at fair price. However, the best allow many communication methods like video meetings and conference calls, offer scalable or tailored service plans, or are more competitively priced while still maintaining user-friendliness.
To choose which small businesses VoIP services offered the best value when compared to RingCentral, we considered:
- Ease of access
- Included features
- Advanced features
- Call quality
- Available apps
- Customer support
- Domestic and international calling
We chose Nextiva as the best RingCentral alternative for its powerful features, affordability, and the fact that it is easy to use. Its three service tiers are competitive in price to RingCentral, plus it offers amazing customer support with all tiers of service. Nextiva’s user-friendliness paired with its many rich features makes it our pick for the best alternative to RingCentral.
Nextiva: Best Overall RingCentral Alternative for Small & Growing Businesses
What it is: Nextiva is a VoIP service that boasts features such as built-in business integrations and unlimited internet faxing. Pricing starts as low as $25.95 per user, per month.
Why it’s a good RingCentral alternative: Different price points for various business sizes make Nextiva more attractive, especially for budget-conscious companies. This, and a comparable feature set, are the main reasons we chose Nextiva as our top pick as a RingCentral alternative, particularly for businesses that are in a phase of growth.
Google Contacts and MS Outlook integrations are included with all service tiers
Pricing is on a sliding scale—the larger your team, the lower the price; this is a drawback for smaller businesses
Port an existing phone number or choose a new local or toll-free number
Its 36-month plans are cheaper than monthly plans, which can be frustrating to customers who don’t want to sign a three-year agreement
Can have unlimited participants in video conferences
No built-in app gallery to enhance the user experience
- $29.95 monthly
- $27.95 monthly for a 36-month agreement
- $25.95 monthly when you prepay for a 36-month agreement
- $32.95 monthly
- $30.95 monthly for a 36-month agreement
- $28.95 monthly when you prepay for a 36-month agreement
- $39.95 monthly
- $37.95 monthly for a 36-month agreement
- $35.95 monthly when you prepay for a 36-month agreement
- Unlimited calling in the U.S. and Canada: All Nextiva plans include unlimited calling within the United States and Canada.
- Integrations: Built-in apps like MS Outlook and Google Contacts are included in all Nextiva service tiers, but higher tiers unlock access to others like Salesforce and ServiceNow.
- User-friendly: A user interface (UI) that helps guide users throughout the various features makes Nextiva’s system easy to learn.
- Customer support: A call center, help desk tickets, and live chat are three different ways to get in touch with Nextiva’s customer support.
- Desktop and mobile apps: Tweak Nextiva settings, make softphone calls, and much more using either the desktop or mobile apps.
If you would like to learn more about Nextiva’s pricing and features, visit our Nextiva reviews page.
You can also see how Nextiva stacks up against RingCentral in our more in-depth Nextiva vs RingCentral comparison.
Vonage: Best RingCentral Alternative for Selecting Custom Features
What it is: Vonage is a different kind of service because of its many customization options, with pricing starting at $17.99 per user, per month.
Why it’s a good RingCentral alternative: While basic features like unlimited SMS messages and team messaging are included in its basic service tier, you have dozens of other add-on features to choose from for an additional fee. This makes Vonage a good alternative option for businesses that want the convenience of a VoIP service, but don’t need all of the more robust features that RingCentral offers.
You can choose only the features that are the most important to you
Add-ons can get expensive quickly
Base prices are reasonable (starting between $17.99 and $37.99 per user, per month for five users)
There is no 24/7 customer service option
Mobile app is available for all users
Uses third-party service (Amazon Chime) to allow video conferencing
- Mobile: $17.99 per month*
- Premium: $27.99 per month*
- Advanced: $37.99 per month*
*Pricing is for five to 19 users. There are volume discounts available as you add more users.
- “Orange Glove Setup”: With the Advanced service tier, Vonage experts will guide you through the entire setup process.
- Call flip: Sync Vonage across all your devices to transfer calls to your laptop, tablet, or mobile phone.
- Automatic call forwarding: Set your phone to ring a specified number of times before it automatically forwards to another device.
- Available apps: Both desktop and mobile apps are available with all Vonage service tiers.
For a more detailed look at Vonage’s pricing, plans, and features, visit our Vonage reviews page.
You can also read more about how Vonage compares directly to RingCentral by visiting our RingCentral vs Vonage guide.
8×8: Best RingCentral Alternative for International Calling
What it is: 8×8, which starts at $12 per user, per month, is a VoIP service that is comparable to RingCentral in terms of features, but allows for international calling for up to 47 countries.
Why it’s a good RingCentral alternative: 8×8 offers many robust features that are similar to RingCentral, making it a great alternative for businesses that want a full VoIP. That said, the ability to place unlimited calls outside the country makes it an even better option for companies that frequently work with businesses overseas than other RingCentral competitors.
Unlimited calls can be made to up to 47 countries outside of the United States
No visual voicemail with the 8x8 Express plan
Many features are included with even the most basic phone plan, including auto-attendant services and toll-free phone numbers
Fewer support methods than with RingCentral, including no live chat option
Browse help and support pages through the 8x8 University
Customers complain that the UI is not as clear as RingCentral’s
- 8×8 Express: $12 per user, per month
- X1: $15 per user, per month
- X2: $25 per user, per month
- X4: $45 per user, per month
- Auto-attendant: Enjoy automatic call routing with all service tiers.
- Call handling: Basic call options like mute, hold, and transfer make phone calls easy to manage.
- Mobile and desktop apps: Manage users, configure extensions, and make softphone calls from your desktop or within the mobile app.
- Set your presence: Let callers know if you are available, busy, on another call or away from your phone.
Check out our 8×8 reviews page if you’d like to learn more about its features and to read user reviews.
You can also learn more about how 8×8’s plans and features compare directly to RingCentral by visiting our RingCentral vs 8×8 page.
Phone.com: Best No-fuss Customizable Plan
What it is: Phone.com is a RingCentral alternative that has very basic starting features such as 300 monthly minutes and 5,000 SMS messages.
Why it’s a good RingCentral alternative: Similar to Vonage, the main difference is that Phone.com lets you build your plan as you see fit, choosing only the features that are the most important to you. And with pricing starting at $9.99 per month, Phone.com wins our vote for the best no-fuss plan for customization.
You don’t need to spend money on features you won’t use; simply pick the ones you will use
Prices can add up quickly for add-ons
Local and toll-free numbers are available with each plan
Video conferencing is only available with Pro plan
Over 40 standard calling features with every service tier
Pricing is not as straightforward as you might expect, which can be confusing for some users
- Base: $12.99 monthly; $9.99 monthly on an annual basis
- Plus: $19.99 monthly; $14.99 monthly on an annual basis
- Pro: $39.99 monthly; $29.99 monthly on an annual basis
- Base: $29.99 monthly; $24.99 monthly on an annual basis
- Plus: $37.99 monthly; $32.99 monthly on an annual basis
- Pro: $59.99 monthly; $49.99 monthly on an annual basis
- iOS and Android integration: Use Phone.com on your Android or Apple device for even more convenience in calling.
- Number porting: Keep your existing phone number when you switch to Phone.com.
- Call logs: View missed, outgoing, and incoming calls with logs of call history.
- Phone numbers: Local, vanity, and toll-free numbers are available for your use.
To read user reviews and to learn more about Phone.com, visit our reviews page.
Ooma: Best RingCentral Alternative for Flat-rate Pricing
What it is: Ooma is an internet phone system that costs $19.95 per user, per month.
Why it’s a good RingCentral alternative: Unlike other phone systems, Ooma requires no special equipment or setup; all you need is a regular home phone and an internet connection to get started. What is unique about Ooma is that prices do not fluctuate; what you see is what you get, which is why it is our pick for the best RingCentral competitor for flat-rate pricing.
Prices stay consistent
Advanced features are lacking compared to others on this list
Auto-attendant services come with both plans
Though consistent, pricing tends to lean on the more expensive side
Customers report excellent customer service
International calling is not included in either plan
- Ooma Office: $19.95 per user, per month
- Virtual receptionist: Auto-attendant services professionally route calls.
- Call flip: Transfer calls between all your devices like your laptop, mobile phone, or tablet.
- Call management options: Put callers on hold, transfer calls, block phone numbers, and more.
- Hold music: Keep more callers on the line by playing music while they wait.
If you would like to learn more about Ooma’s pricing and features, visit our Ooma reviews page.
Grasshopper: Best No-frills RingCentral Alternative
What it is: Grasshopper is a virtual phone system that is not as feature-rich as RingCentral, but still gives users the ability to manage calls, set personalized greetings, and use your existing smartphone for business use.
Why it’s a good RingCentral alternative: Because it gives users the ability to make calls from a business telephone number, Grasshopper is ideal for solopreneurs and smaller businesses that want to add a professional presence to their company, but don’t want the additional features of RingCentral. All of these reasons are why we ranked Grasshopper as the best no-frills RingCentral alternative.
Keep your existing device for making and receiving phone calls
Video chat is not offered at this time, which is disappointing for remote workers
Mobile and desktop apps are available to all users
Not the best option for larger businesses that want a larger selection of features
Voicemail transcription lets you read your voicemails before listening to them
There is no international calling option included in any of the plans
- Solopreneur: $20 per month for one user*
- Partnership: $46 per month for three users*
- Small Team: $70 per month for six users*
*Pricing is on an annual basis. Buying accounts for additional users is available for an additional cost that can be priced on a per-account basis.
- Keep your phone: You don’t need to buy or rent any extra equipment—RingCentral lets you keep your existing smartphone.
- Phone numbers: Pick local, toll-free, or vanity numbers.
- Quick service: Most telephone numbers are activated upon checkout, allowing you to quickly start receiving calls on your new phone number.
- Voicemail-to-text: Read or download your voicemail messages when you don’t have time to listen to them.
Visit our Grasshopper reviews page to learn more about its features and prices.
You can also learn more about how a virtual phone service like Grasshopper compares directly against a more full-featured VoIP system like RingCentral by visiting our RingCentral vs Grasshopper guide.
While a feature-rich phone system is a fantastic choice for some business settings, there are other settings that don’t need all the bells and whistles. While we evaluated RingCentral competitors, we wanted to ensure that the user is taken care of while enjoying the features of their choosing.
Nextiva wins our pick for the best RingCentral alternative. Its combination of features, reasonable prices, and user-friendliness give it the edge over the competitors listed. Check out its free trial with the top two service tiers and see for yourself why it’s the winner here.