5 Best Accounting Software Programs for Mac in 2023
This article is part of a larger series on Accounting Software.
The best accounting software for Mac is easy to use, has good customer support, and offers enhanced accounting features that are intuitive for Mac users. In addition to essential general accounting features like project accounting, inventory management, and invoicing, some of the leading software have Mac-specific features, such as Quick Notes and Lock Screen widgets.
Here are the best Mac accounting software that we recommend:
- Zoho Books: Best overall accounting software for Mac users
- QuickBooks Online: Best for extensive support network
- FreshBooks: Best for service-based freelancers
- Xero: Best for unlimited users
- Wave: Best free accounting software for Mac users
QuickBooks Desktop for Mac was a popular software for Macs but appears to have been discontinued. While the 2023 version exists, it’s extremely hard or impossible to find. It’s no longer for sale on the QuickBooks website and is out-of-stock at all the major online retailers. Read our review of QuickBooks Desktop for Mac if you’re interested in the program anyway.
At Fit Small Business our mission is to provide small business owners with the best answers to their small business questions. Whenever possible, we evaluate all of the software we recommend by conducting an in-depth case study where our experts determine the strengths and weaknesses of each software by recreating real-life bookkeeping scenarios. There are only two scenarios where we may recommend software that has not been subjected to our case study – the software is not a complete bookkeeping system or if we don’t have access to evaluate the software. We evaluate all software on the same set of criteria regardless of whether they are a partner company.
Best Accounting Software for Mac at a Glance
Number of Users
iOS Mobile App
$0 to $249
1 to 15
Live Text, Quick Notes, Lock Screen widgets, etc.
$30 to $200
1 to 25
$15 to $55 or custom priced
$13 to $70
Which Mac accounting software is best for you?
Zoho Books: Best Overall Accounting Software for Mac Users
Zoho Books is our overall Mac accounting software because of its robust feature set and powerful iOS mobile app that lets you perform accounting on the go. Zoho also highlights its tight integrations with Apple technologies, as the provider introduced new apps and features as part of the Zoho iOS 16 updates.
These integrations, which include Quick Notes, Live Text, and Lock Screen widgets, help improve different aspects of your business, such as workforce identity and access management, document signing, and mobile invoicing. For instance, the latest iOS app allows you to set up Lock Screen widgets, allowing you to send invoices and create timesheets without even unlocking your smartphone.
- Powerful mobile app that can perform almost any accounting task
- Includes newly updated apps and features for iOS 16
- Vendor portal available with Professional plan
- Extensive list of customizable reports
- More affordable than most similar accounting software
- Integrates with several Zoho applications to automate business processes
- Track time and expenses and add them to an invoice
- Standard plan doesn’t offer inventory management and project accounting
- Doesn’t integrate with tax preparation software
- No integrated payroll available
- Unable to set up multiple companies in a single account
Plans & Pricing
- Free: $0 for businesses that make less than $50,000 in revenue per year
- Standard: $12 per organization, per month, for up to three users
- Professional: $24 per organization, per month, for up to five users
- Premium: $60 per organization, per month, for up to 10 users
- Elite: $129 per organization, per month, for up to 10 users
- Ultimate: $249 per organization, per month, for up to 15 users
Additional seats are available for $3 per additional user. You may also purchase the following add-ons:
Advanced auto-scans: $10 for 50 scans per month in all plans
Snail mails: $2 per credit in all plans
Company branches (from Premium): $12 per branch per month
Zoho Books Overview
Mac users needing a powerful iOS app with tight integrations with Apple technologies
Phone and email support, live chat, online self-help guides, like blogs and setup guides
4.5 out of 5 based on around 120 reviews on G2
- Mobile app: Zoho Books’ mobile app, our top-recommended mobile accounting app, is available for both Windows and iOS users and lets you perform almost any basic accounting task, such as sending invoices, recording bills and payments, and accepting payments online.
- Mac-specific features: Mac users can now take advantage of various iOS mobile apps and features, such as:
- Live Text: This feature allows you to copy details straight from web pages or documents by simply taking a photo of it.
- Lock Screen widget: This lets you easily access apps and key stats directly from your Lock Screen.
- Quick Notes: This allows you to add notes from your smartphone easily and revisit them later, edit two-factor authentication (2FA) accounts, and more.
- Weather Kit: This enables you to check the weather forecast so that you can prepare for your events better.
- Customer support: You can call Zoho Books directly or even ask them to call you by phone. There’s also a chatbot for immediate assistance and a live chat person for personalized support. Otherwise, you can email them or read self-help information on the Help & Support page.
- Online inventory tracking and integration: Zoho Books has an outstanding inventory system that rivals QuickBooks Online. It can track inventory levels, compute the cost of goods sold (COGS), and determine the cost of ending inventory. If you need advanced inventory management features, you can integrate Zoho Books with Zoho Inventory, allowing you to perform advanced tracking of purchase orders (POs), goods on hand, and shipments.
- Freelancers and business owners who often work out of the office: The mobile app is a great way to stay on top of your accounting tasks no matter where you work and whatever device you use.
- Users of other Zoho products: Zoho Books integrates with other Zoho solutions, like Zoho Inventory and Zoho Commerce.
- Businesses that need robust inventory and pricing management features: You can use Zoho Books to track inventory items, adjust quantity and cost, categorize items based on product details, and customize prices for selected customers.
- Modern businesses using Apple devices: Many businesses in today’s digital age can improve data security and workflow efficiency by using Zoho Books’ updated apps and features, like Lock Screen widgets, Quick Notes, and enhanced Live Text.
QuickBooks Online: Best for Extensive Support Network
QuickBooks Online is a popular cloud-based accounting solution that’s available for both Windows and Mac users. It’s flexible and easy to use, and it can be customized to almost any business type, making it our overall best small business accounting software.
It has a robust set of features, including project accounting, inventory management, and class and location tracking tools. While it has no Mac-specific features, all of its features perform well on Apple devices, plus it has an iOS mobile app that lets you track mileage, create and send invoices, track sales and expenses, and more.
- Features are easily accessible and compatible with iOS mobile devices
- Easy-to-use and intuitive interface
- Customizable reports
- Access to a network of QuickBooks Pro Advisors
- Robust mobile app with the ability to track mileage and capture receipts
- Track income and expenses by location and class
- Has an iOS mobile app to perform many accounting tasks on the go
- Limited number of users for each plan
- Unable to compare estimated to actual project costs
- More expensive than most other similar software
- Has no Mac-specific features
Pricing & Plans
- Simple Start: $30 per month for one user
- Essentials: $55 per month for three users
- Plus: $85 per month for five users
- Advanced: $200 per month for 25 users
New users can get either a 50% discount for three months or a 30-day free trial.
You can check out our QuickBooks Online version comparison to find out which is right for you.
QuickBooks Online Overview
Small to medium-sized businesses (SMBs) needing inventory management and the ability to track income and expenses by class and location
30 days with no credit card required; get 50% off if you sign up right away without the free trial
Phone support (send a message and wait for a call) chatbot, live chat, and self-help guides
4.7 out of 5 based on around 128,800 reviews on App Store (mobile app):
- Class and location tracking: QuickBooks Online offers allows you to track financial activity based on class and location. For instance, if you have multiple offices or buildings, you can see which office or warehouse is the most profitable.
- Banking and bank reconciliations: Connecting your bank accounts and credit cards is easy and seamless in QuickBooks Online. You can also manually import transactions from your bank accounts for reconciliation.
- Assisted bookkeeping options: QuickBooks Online users can get bookkeeping help through QuickBooks Live. For a separate charge, you can get a dedicated bookkeeper to help with classifying transactions, fixing your records, and analyzing your month-end financial statements.
- Small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) that need complete accounts payable (A/P) and accounts receivable (A/R) management features: QuickBooks Online features an excellent A/R and A/P system that fits small business needs perfectly. You can manage invoices, convert expenses into bills, add billable items to customer invoices, and record payments.
- Real estate business owners with multiple buildings: The ability to track income and expenses by class and location makes QuickBooks Online our overall best real estate accounting software.
- Freelancers: Freelancers who work on a Mac can use the iOS mobile app to send invoices, accept payments, track mileage, and more.
FreshBooks: Best for Service-based Freelancers
FreshBooks supports a single user in all its plans and is great at tracking billable hours and invoicing, making it ideal for service-based freelancers. After tracking work hours, you can directly create invoices from the time entries and send them out to your clients. Other software also have these features, but FreshBooks stands out because of its ability to compare estimated costs against actual costs. It’s our best invoicing software for freelancers and has great invoicing features, such as the ability to create recurring invoices and automatically calculate late fees.
- Compare estimate vs actual budget costs
- Track billable time and easily add to invoices
- Intuitive and easy-to-use interface
- Automatic mileage tracking on iOS app
- Free 30-day trial with no credit card required
- Fee for additional users
- Mobile app lacks some browser-based features
- No inventory management or cost tracking
- No quarterly tax estimates
Plans & Pricing
- Lite: $15 per month for one user and five billable clients
- Plus: $30 per month for one user and 50 billable clients
- Premium: $55 per month for one user and unlimited billable clients
- Select: Custom priced
Additional seats can be added to any plan for $10 per user, per month.
Buy now and get 90% off for three months or get a 30-day free trial.
30 days for Lite, Plus, and Premium plans
Phone support, live chat, chatbot, self-help library, and a community page
4.5 out of 5 stars based on about 605 reviews on G2
- Invoicing: FreshBooks offers more than just unlimited invoicing capabilities. You can personalize invoices by adding a logo and a personal message below the invoice. If you invoice clients monthly, you can set up recurring invoices to save time.
- Project accounting: You can use FreshBooks to manage project timelines, create estimates and convert them to invoices once approved, compare estimated and actual costs, and collaborate with your crew.
- Customer support: FreshBooks offers all forms of customer support, including phone and email support. You can directly make a phone call to a support agent, which isn’t often possible with other accounting software providers.
- Project managers: FreshBooks lets you compare budgeted costs to actual expenses, track billable time, and chat with your team members.
- Service-based freelancers: Freelancers who bill clients by the hour or per project can benefit from FreshBooks’ excellent time and project tracking features.
- Nonaccountant users: FreshBooks is an application made especially for individuals without bookkeeping or accounting experience, so it’s easy to use. If you don’t want to do the bookkeeping yourself, you can invite an accountant who uses FreshBooks to do it for you.
Xero: Best for Unlimited Users
Xero has almost the same features as QuickBooks Online, including project accounting, inventory management, and an iOS mobile app. However, unlike QuickBooks, it allows you to add an unlimited number of users in all its plans, making it ideal for SMBs with multiple accounting users. It doesn’t have Mac-specific accounting tools, but all of its features and apps run smoothly on Apple devices.
- Allows you to add as many users as you want without paying additional fees
- Strong inventory accounting features but at a more affordable price than most competitors
- Includes an iOS mobile app for invoicing, receipt scanning, and expense tracking
- Access to a network of Xero Advisors
- Entry-level plan is limited to 20 invoices and five bills
- Limited mobile app; can’t record time worked, accept payments, etc.
- Can’t set up and manage multiple companies
- No telephone support
Plans & Pricing
- Early: $13 per month up to 20 invoices and five bills
- Growing: $37 per month for unlimited invoices and bills
- Established: $70 per month for unlimited invoices and bills plus project accounting
You can try any of the aforementioned plans for free for 30 days. Buy now and get 75% off for three months.
SMBs with many accounting users
Email support, chatbot, self-help resources, online library, and access to a network of Xero Advisors
4.36 out of 5 based on around 2,500 reviews on Software Advice
- Unlimited user access: You can add as many users as you want for free. With other software, you’ll need to pay an additional fee for each user. For instance, with FreshBooks, each additional user costs $10 per month.
- Inventory management: You can track inventory items and values, adjust inventory counts, and calculate COGS automatically.
- Fixed asset management: Xero has a fixed asset manager that lets you track fixed asset records and calculate depreciation expenses automatically.
- Access to Xero Advisors: If you need bookkeeping support, you can find a Xero Advisor, an experienced Xero-certified accountant who is knowledgeable about using the Xero program.
- Businesses looking for a QuickBooks alternative: Xero offers many of the same features you’ll find in QuickBooks, including income and expense tracking, project management, and inventory tracking. However, unlike QuickBooks, it’s more affordable and even supports an unlimited number of users.
- Ecommerce businesses: Xero’s ability to calculate COGS and track customer payments and orders makes it a great option for ecommerce businesses.
Wave: Best Free Accounting Software for Mac Users
If you want a free option for accounting, receipt scanning, and invoicing, then you might want to give Wave a try. Despite being free, it offers an extensive list of accounting features, making it our top-recommended free accounting software. It lets you add an unlimited number of users, create and send invoices, and manage income and expenses for free. The only time you pay is when you process payroll and payments.
- Has many accounting features despite being free
- Can be accessed by an unlimited number of users
- Includes a free mobile app for iPhone and iPad devices
- Can send unlimited invoices and quotes
- Uses optical character recognition (OCR) technology for receipt scanning
- Not a good fit for large businesses
- Lacks inventory management features
- Has no project accounting features
- Limited mobile app; can’t track time worked and view financial reports
Plans & Pricing
- Wave is free for accounting, invoicing, and receipt scanning.
- Credit card payments: 2.9% + 60 cents per transaction or 3.4% + 60 cents per AMEX transaction.
- Bank payments: 1% per transaction but a minimum of $1 fee
- Wave Payroll: $35 for tax service states or $20 for self-service states, plus $6 per month per active employee
- Wave Advisor: $149 per month for bookkeeping support
- Accounting and payroll coaching: $329 per coaching session and email support
Freelancers and very small businesses needing a free Mac accounting solution
Email support, chatbot, online knowledgebase, and live chat for customers using any of Wave’s paid services,
4.4 out of 5 stars based on around 1,280 reviews on GetApp
- Ease of setup: It’s relatively easy to set up a new account in Wave. You can add your business information easily, such as company name, address, and contact details.
- Unlimited user access: You can set up as many users as needed for free.
- Invoicing: Wave has strong invoicing features. It lets you create recurring invoices, collect and track sales tax by jurisdictions, and accept short payments from customers.
- iOS Mobile app: Although very limited, the Wave mobile apps are enough if you only need to send invoices, accept payments, and capture expense receipts.
- Freelancers and very small businesses on a tight budget: You can save money by sending invoices and tracking income and expenses for free using Wave. No matter how often you use it and how many invoices you send, you don’t pay anything.
- Businesses that need a great receipt scanning app: Wave uses OCR for receipt scanning and has unlimited cloud storage for receipts.
How We Evaluated Accounting Software for Mac
Each accounting application in this article has been evaluated using our internally developed case study. We put each accounting program to the test across several key areas that are important in accounting software used by small businesses. Furthermore, we used what we learned in the case study to find the most suitable use of each accounting software for Mac users.
In our evaluation, we used the following criteria:
5% of Overall Score
We looked at the cost of the software compared to the available features and whether it offers a free trial or introductory discount. However, we gave price a small weight because we don’t believe it should be a major factor in your choice. All of the software in this article is very affordable, and it’s much more important to choose software that fits your needs than to save a few dollars per month on the cost.
40% of Overall Score
The most important general feature we considered was Mac compatibility. However, most of the software in this list is web-based, so we instead applied our case study to break this down into several sub-criteria:
- General accounting features (20%)
- Banking (20%)
- Accounts payable (20%)
- Accounts receivable (20%)
- Tax (10%)
- Reporting (10%)
10% of Overall Score
Inventory accounting is an important feature for merchandising and manufacturing companies. We considered the software’s ability to track inventory units, details, and cost. Moreover, we put major emphasis on the software’s ability to compute cost of goods sold and determine the cost of ending inventory.
10% of Overall Score
Since some small businesses are service-based or a mix of products and services, we also considered project accounting in our evaluation. We prioritized cost estimation, project cost allocation, and project management. However, we put heavy emphasis on the software’s ability to compare actual project costs with estimated costs.
30% of Overall Score
An accounting software application must be easy to use and intuitive for small business or do-it-yourself (DIY) accounting. For ease of use, we evaluated navigation flows, interface design, and subjective ease of use to assess if users can use the accounting software with or without accounting experience.
5% of Overall Score
The mobile app adds flexibility and enhances the productivity of users. With the ability to manage the books through smartphones and tablets, users who are mostly using mobile devices must be able to conduct basic to advanced functions without worry. Moreover, we considered whether or not the app has additional iOS-only features, like Apple Watch integration.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What should I look for in Mac accounting software?
You must choose a software that’s easy to use and accessible and has good customer support. It should have essential accounting tools like income and expense tracking and invoicing, and if possible, look for a program with Mac-specific features, like iCloud document sharing.
What is the best Mac accounting software?
The best Mac accounting software depends on your needs. If you work remotely and need a program that’s easy to use and has great features, like class and location tracking, then choose QuickBooks Online. If mobile accounting is a priority, choose Zoho Books.
Are free Mac accounting software worth it?
Yes, especially if you only have simple accounting needs, like invoicing and income and expense tracking.
The best accounting software for your business is the one that’s easy to use and provides the features that you need at a price you can afford. If budget isn’t a concern and you need a comprehensive accounting software program, you can choose from premium accounting programs like QuickBooks Online, Zoho Books, Xero, and FreshBooks. If you’re a solopreneur or just starting a business, Wave can help you handle your invoice and income and expense tracking needs for free.