Using a voice-over-internet-protocol (VoIP) app means significant communication savings, specifically on per-minute rates and hardware and infrastructure investments. The best VoIP app for iPhone seamlessly works with mobile iOS devices, allowing you to communicate with colleagues and clients easily, even when on the go. VoIP apps also give users access to advanced features like call forwarding, video conferencing, and business text messaging.
To help you find the right business tool, we evaluated several iPhone VoIP apps, and this guide details the seven best VoIP apps for iPhone to consider.
- Vonage: Best overall VoIP app for iPhone
- RingCentral: Best for robust call management system
- Nextiva: Best for team and client collaboration
- Dialpad: Best for artificial intelligence (AI) tools
- Grasshopper: Best for virtual phone numbers
- Ooma: Best for international calling
- OnSIP: Best for varying call volumes
Best VoIP Apps for iPhone Compared
Monthly Starting Price (per user)
4.46 out of 5
4.45 out of 5
4.31 out of 5
4.28 out of 5
4.08 out of 5
4.04 out of 5
3.77 out of 5
Vonage: Best Overall VoIP App for iPhone
*Vonage has a one-year minimum contract requirement for new accounts. Save up to 30% with annual billing. Discounts apply to five or more users.
For the best VoIP app for iPhone, Vonage wins, integrating seamlessly with Siri. It provides customers with a hands-free way to make calls and access the Vonage app. Customers simply give Siri a voice command, like initiating a phone call, and you can communicate easily, even on the go. Share images, send messages using the company number, and start and join meetings using an iPhone.
VoIP phone features include mobility solutions like call forwarding, voicemail, do not disturb, and simultaneous ring, which ensures you never miss a call. Vonage’s unified communication (UC) features include call flip, team messaging and chat, and visual voicemail. However, not all features are free. There are 17 paid add-ons, which include an artificial intelligence (AI) virtual assistant and toll-free company numbers. Prices for optional features range from $4.99 to $49.99 per month.
If you find that most features you need are paid add-ons, then a la carte pricing may not be your best pricing model. If you have a limited budget, consider Grasshopper. It has many essential business communication features that small businesses need and offers flat-fee pricing. Grasshopper’s True Solo plan starts at $17 per month.
- On-demand call recording: Manually record calls on an IP phone that you can email, share, or download.
- Call continuity: This feature reroutes incoming calls to a backup phone once it detects a signal loss or during an emergency or power outage.
- Call flip: Transfer calls between your mobile phone and desktop app seamlessly, and the person you’re speaking with won’t know you’ve switched devices.
RingCentral: Best for Robust Call Management System
*Save up to 33% with annual payment. Discounts also apply for 50-plus registered users.
Our evaluation found that RingCentral is the best iPhone VoIP app for businesses looking for a feature-rich call management solution accessible through a mobile device. This solution lets businesses route, monitor, and analyze inbound and outbound communications while providing valuable performance insights. Get landline functionality on your iPhone and run your business from your mobile device.
The RingCentral iPhone app includes voice and video calling capabilities, business and team messaging, and conference calls. RingCentral features AI-based noise cancellation that’s available on the iPhone app. This solution reduces the background sounds on your phone calls and video meetings, minimizing distractions and ensuring quality conversations.
RingCentral’s iPhone app gives you access to video meetings with up to 200 people, built-in team messaging, auto-attendant, advanced call management, and in-depth analytics. However, this extensive list of tools may be more than a startup or small team needs. If this is the case, Ooma, a straightforward office phone system offering essential features, may be a better option. Its monthly starting fee is lower than RingCentral at $19.95 per user.
- Call screening: Control who reaches you by phone and choose how the call is handled. When the caller ID appears, your options include accepting, declining, blocking, or sending the phone to voicemail.
- Call-to-video: Switch from a voice call to a RingCentral Video meeting or screen share call. This feature is great because you don’t have to hang up your voicemail to begin a different meeting.
- Call forwarding: Automatically forward calls to any office, home, or mobile number to ensure no phones go unanswered.
Nextiva: Best for Team & Client Collaboration
*Discounts are available for annual prepayments and volume purchases.
Nextiva is our top recommendation for robust collaboration tools because of its Cospace app. This app, available for iPhones, is designed for remote teams to collaborate from anywhere. Cospace features team messages, video conferences, and schedules, allowing teams to stay connected. Use the task management features to assign and track project activities as a team. Invite clients to meetings and use screen and file-sharing tools to deliver your pitch.
While Nextiva offers an all-in-one communication suite, its video calling and meetings have a maximum 45-minute duration, even on the Enterprise plan. This is potentially limiting for teams who frequently hold virtual meetings with clients, customers, and colleagues. In contrast, RingCentral lets users host unlimited virtual conferences for up to 24 hours. Both providers offer fully loaded plans, similarly priced at about $30 per user, monthly, for base plans.
- Team chat: Chat with colleagues instantly with Nextiva’s secure chat. Communicate in real time, screen share, see your message history, and hop onto video calls with one click.
- Do not disturb (DND): Activating this feature automatically ignores all incoming calls. Callers will either hear a busy signal or be rerouted to your voicemail.
- Auto-attendant: Callers will hear an instant automated greeting that allows them to choose the person, extension, or department they wish to reach. Calls are managed without the need for a physical receptionist.
Dialpad: Best for AI Tools
*Discounts apply to annual billing.
Dialpad leads the pack as the top VoIP app for iPhone when it comes to artificial intelligence (AI) because of its advanced speech recognition technology. Dialpad Ai does real-time meeting transcriptions, tracks keywords, and detects customer sentiment. Its iPhone app also comes with built-in texting and team messaging. It supports all types of conversations, from one-on-one to group meetings, and its seamless device switching allows you to move phone calls from one device to another.
AI tools like automatic note-taking let your team focus on more technical tasks and remove time-consuming activities like drafting meeting summaries. While Dialpad has robust meeting capabilities, its Ai Meetings plan only accommodates a maximum of 150 participants. If you want a platform that allows you to host large-scale meetings, choose RingCentral. It lets you host up to 200 video participants and has an optional large meeting add-on.
- Call flip: Seamlessly move between devices during an active call without disrupting the conversation flow. Move from the desktop app to your phone and vice versa without disconnecting the call.
- Spam blocking: Dialpad blocks inbound calls with a spam score of 100 (the highest possible) from reaching you. Verified third-party sources feed information to Dialpad Meetings on each inbound call, declaring the spam score. This allows you to minimize disruptions caused by spammers.
- Toll-free number: Get a toll-free or 1-800 number and help your customers reach you for free. All Dialpad plans come with toll-free phone number support.
Grasshopper: Best for Virtual Phone Numbers
*Save over 10% with annual billing.
For virtual phone numbers, Grasshopper emerges as the best VoIP app for iPhone—offering unlimited extensions on all plans and charging a flat fee, not a per-user monthly rate. Grasshopper offers the same feature set across all plans but provides different quantities of users, phone numbers, and extensions. Teams can share phone numbers and assign specific extensions to different departments, maximizing your phone system’s inclusions.
The Grasshopper iPhone app allows users to call and text using their virtual number, SMS/MMS and group message, sign and email faxes and PDFs, and change call forwarding settings. Users can set up push notifications for missed calls and messages and detect suspected spam calls with Wi-Fi calling.
Grasshopper provides subscribers with unlimited business texting, call forwarding, virtual fax, voicemail, and simultaneous call handling. While this straightforward VoIP phone system offers all the essential capabilities small businesses require, it lacks advanced unified communications (UC) features, like video conferencing and team messaging. If you’re interested in a full-fledged UC solution, try Nextiva, an all-in-one platform with video, voice, and messaging features.
- Incoming call control: Determine how and when you will receive calls and the call flow for each scenario. Screen callers, block numbers, ring all forwarding numbers, and set up custom business-hours schedules.
- Wi-Fi calling: Use the best connection available and make and receive calls on a Wi-Fi network, which is useful in areas with poor cellular reception. Using Wi-Fi for outbound communications saves you minutes and cellular data.
- Simultaneous call handling: Limit missed calls by setting up multiple call forwarding numbers and answering all incoming calls, even during peak call times.
Ooma: Best for International Calling
*Ooma offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Ooma is the best VoIP app for iPhone for international calling because of its affordable internal calling plans. Ooma users can add basic, premiere, or unlimited calling services to their active accounts. Its basic service gives users access to low international calling rates, and upgrading to the Premiere service for $9.99 per month gives you unlimited calling to Canada and Mexico. Choose from two unmetered calling plans for up to 70-plus countries.
The Ooma Office iPhone app allows users to make and receive calls from anywhere. Gain access to features like virtual receptionist, extension dialing, and music on hold directly from your mobile phone. Manage voicemail and transfer calls to another extension, your work voicemail, or a coworker’s voicemail easily.
This solution is best for businesses that frequently call overseas and want to lower call costs. For example, calling the U.K. costs 28 cents per minute, and calling Australia costs 38 cents per minute. However, with Ooma’s limited third-party tools integrations, a VoIP app for iPhone like RingCentral is a better option. It easily integrates with over 300 third-party apps, including productivity and analytics software.
- Virtual receptionist: Set up a call management system that answers calls and routes them to the right person or number. The default setup includes a text-to-speech voice greeting mentioning your company’s name.
- Ring groups: Simultaneously ring all users or ring team members one after another until someone picks up the call. Assemble groups that manage similar call types.
- Virtual fax: Say goodbye to traditional, bulky fax machines and send and receive faxes using digital technology. Each user gets their own fax set up, free of charge.
OnSIP: Best for Varying Call Volumes
OnSIP is the best VoIP app for iPhone for businesses with dynamic calling patterns. The provider has two plans: a pay-as-you-go plan (per minute) and an unlimited (per user) plan. In months when you have low call volumes, go for the metered plan to keep costs low and upgrade to unlimited calling once you hit your peak sales season. You can switch between plans at any time using the accounts portal.
This platform is a scalable VoIP service with mobile apps for communicating on the go. One of OnSIP’s most significant drawbacks is that it lacks native messaging services. While all OnSIP numbers are SMS-enabled, OnSIP doesn’t provide built-in SMS service. You will need to use a third-party vendor like Skipio and TextBox. As an alternative, go for Grasshopper. It has a flat-rate pricing structure, and all plans have unlimited business texting voicemail and virtual fax.
- Voicemail: Message mailboxes are automatically created for each OnSIP user. See a complete list of your new and read voicemails, listen to messages, and delete voicemails, all in one place.
- Automatic call distribution: Hold, queue, and efficiently distribute incoming calls among your employees or agents. You can set up OnSIP’s enhanced call queues and ring strategies on the admin portal.
- Busy lamp field: This presence indicator gives you a bird’s-eye view of who’s available or unavailable on your team for a call at any given time.
How We Evaluated the Best VoIP Apps for iPhone
To assess the top VoIP apps for iPhone, we looked at dozens of providers and compared them against each other based on pricing, inclusive features, ease of use, and customer support. We factored in our expert opinion on value for money and tested each iOS application ourselves. We also considered software reviews from recent users.
Learn how we evaluated the best VoIP apps for iPhone by clicking on the tabs below:
25% of Overall Score
Pricing is a crucial decision point for any small business, so we examined the price points of each provider’s monthly plans and factored in whether they offer discounts for annual billing and volume purchases.
20% of Overall Score
To determine the best VoIP apps for iPhone, we considered the feature set of each package, focusing on the availability of unlimited calling in the U.S. and Canada. We also favored iOS apps that offer video and audio conferencing and an uptime service level agreement (SLA).
15% of Overall Score
Some businesses need advanced tools, and we looked at advanced solution offerings. We rated applications with international calling and international numbers higher than those without. We also awarded points for the availability of IVR systems and robust integrations.
10% of Overall Score
We determined usability by trying each platform and testing it ourselves. We checked user reviews from reliable review websites. We looked for apps that allow users to set up their VoIP system easily and explored the ease of interface navigation.
10% of Overall Score
We checked each VoIP provider’s support channels, including phone, live chat, phone support, and email support. Additional points are given to providers if all support channels are available 24/7.
20% of Overall Score
We based our expert score on the overall value for money and popularity. We analyzed each VoIP phone app for iPhone’s usability, popularity, and what actual users said about how the platforms perform.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes, VoIP apps are secure, but the level of security depends on the provider you select. Take time to review the security and privacy features offered by each solution. At the very least, they should have encryption and two-factor authentication.
No, not all VoIP providers offer internet services with their VoIP app. You must have your own internet service provider (ISP) to use VoIP apps. Remember that you need at least 100kbps per phone line to ensure high-quality calling.
No. VoIP mobile apps are downloaded onto your mobile device and run independently on your device. Since a VoIP service lives in the cloud, you must have a reliable internet connection to connect to your system even without connecting to physical equipment.
Using a VoIP app for iPhone allows you to communicate conveniently on your mobile device while connected to an internet network. It allows you to separate personal and business communications without needing a second device. Choosing a platform with robust iOS mobile applications is important so you can streamline communication and stay connected when out of the office.
Vonage was our top iPhone VoIP solution because plans come with over 40 business phone system features, a Siri-compatible app, and easy-to-add features that can improve productivity. Vonage’s mobile apps are SMS- and team messaging-capable, allowing teams to maintain constant connectivity. Contact the Vonage sales team to determine the best plan for your needs.