Forums are a great way to build an engaged community. Whether you’re looking to make a forum site like Reddit or Tripadvisor, or simply add a forum to an existing website, the good news is that it’s easy to learn how to make a forum website. To start, get web hosting and a domain, then connect to WordPress using one-click installation. Next, pick a theme, install a forum plugin, customize your forum’s settings and web pages, and launch your forum website.
Here’s how to make a forum website with WordPress in six steps:
1. Get Web Hosting & Your Domain Name
The first step to making a forum website is to get web hosting. This will allow you to also get a free domain name and easily connect your domain and web hosting to WordPress using the one-click WordPress installation tool. There are many hosting providers available, but we’re going to use Bluehost because it’s a leading web host that offers feature-rich plans for less than $3 per month.
Not sure Bluehost is right for you? Get the breakdown on the best web hosting companies to find which is best for your business website.
Select Your Web Hosting Plan
Navigate to the web hosting company of your choice. Compare available plans and select the plan that is right for your forum website needs. Businesses that want to build basic forums will find that most provider’s entry-level plans fit their needs, as you can upgrade at any time. Click the “select” button at the bottom of the plan you wish to purchase.
Choose a Domain Name
Many of the leading web hosting plans include a domain name. For example, all Bluehost web hosting plans include a free domain name. After selecting your plan, you will be prompted to choose a domain name. Enter the one that’s appropriate for your business—often your business name—and click “next” to check if it is available. If so, follow the prompts to complete your purchase by inputting your contact and payment information.
It can be a challenge to find an available domain. To help, check out this article on how to choose a domain name.
Use the One-click WordPress Installation
After completing your web hosting plan purchase, you will be directed to your Bluehost account dashboard. There are a number of ways to build a forum website, but for versatility and ease of use, we recommend WordPress. From the “Home” tab, click the “Log in to WordPress” button. This will automatically link your new domain name to the WordPress content management system (CMS), where you can build your forum website.
Without reliable web hosting, your forum website risks frequent downtimes and slow load speeds, which can dramatically reduce user engagement. Be sure to choose a quality web host, such as Bluehost. Not only do they offer 99.9% uptime, but hosting packages include a free domain, free email, a free SSL certification, and more—all for $2.95 per month. Get started today.
2. Choose a Theme
WordPress themes are predesigned website templates built with content blocks that make it easy to customize your text, images, and other site features. To find your ideal theme, navigate to “Appearance,” then select “Themes.” Next, click “Add New” and type “forums” into the search bar. Browse through available themes, seeking those with an aesthetic that suits your brand. Click the “Install” button for the theme you want, and then click “Activate.”
Keep in mind that the more closely a theme matches your desired design, the less customization you will have to do. For more ideas, browse these 14 best WordPress themes, which can be customized to serve as forum websites.
3. Install a Forum Plugin
WordPress doesn’t come with built-in forum functionality. To create a forum on WordPress, you need to install a forum plugin. There are many forum plugins available, but one of the most popular and most highly rated is bbPress. It is a free, open-source plugin that is regularly updated, and offers a wealth of features. To find and install this plugin, navigate to the “Plugins” menu on your WordPress dashboard, search for bbPress, and install the plugin.
Before jumping into bbPress, take your time to find the right forum plugin for your website. To help you decide, check out the best WordPress plugins for forum websites.
Once bbPress has finished installing and is activated, you will see three new options in your vertical left-hand menu: “Forums,” “Topics,” and Replies.”
4. Set Up Your Forum
With a forum plugin installed and activated, such as bbPress, customize the forum plugin settings to suit your needs. For example, bbPress comes with a number of customizable features, such as forum privacy settings, user login settings, and forum visibility. To update these settings, click on “Forums” in the left-hand menu, then “Settings” in the menu that appears below it. When these are updated, add your forum “homepage” in the same menu.
Forums have many settings that control how users interact with forum content. The forum creator, referred to as the administrator, has the ability to change privacy settings (which show or hide content depending on a user’s role), registration settings (set to automatically assign certain privileges to users or require users to set these up manually), and more.
Here are the seven most common forum settings:
- Privacy: Most forums will want to have their forum widely available to the public, so select public visibility. On the other hand, an exclusive forum may choose to have the forum be visible only to members.
- User registration and roles: Every forum user must be registered as one of the following roles: Keymaster, Moderator, Participant (Default), Spectator, or Blocked. As the forum admin (or Keymaster), you can manually choose user roles or set bbPress to automatically set user roles when new members join your forum.
- Anonymous posting: This setting allows any forum visitor to post or reply without having an account on your forum. This can help increase forum activity, as it makes it easier for users to participate. However, it can lead to forum abuse, including trolling and spam, so it is generally not advised.
- Subscriptions: Give users the ability to subscribe to all forum updates or only updates to specific forum pages and categories. Allowing subscriptions helps keep users actively involved in the forum.
- Search: Enable the search option on your forum to allow users to search for specific topics and replies.
- Reply threading: Threading allows users to reply to other replies on your forum. This is common within forums; threads provide more context to a discussion, which is helpful for any user who chooses to enter a discussion after it begins.
- Forum gamification: Some of the top forum plugins come with upvoting, as well as user levels and badges. These help users be more engaged, helping to create a more active forum.
While there are settings almost every forum includes, consider which ones above fit your specific forum. There are also many more settings available to help you create a forum that functions exactly as you want it to. Learn more about all of the settings available through bbPress by visiting the bbPress forum settings webpage.
Add Your Forum Page
After updating settings, you need to create a page on your site that will house your forum. To create your new forum page, click the “Forums” option from the left-hand menu and then select “New Forum.” Input your forum name and click “Publish” to save your new forum.
Next, add this forum to a web page by clicking “Pages” and selecting “Add New.” Input your page title, then add the bbPress shortcode “[bbp-forum-index]” in the main content box. Finally, click “Publish” to save. For more detailed information about how you can set up your forum and customize the display, go to bbPress’ new user forum.
5. Customize Your WordPress Site
Your WordPress theme needs to be customized to suit your forum website. These customizations will transform your generic theme into a fully branded site, complete with your company history, contact pages, a blog, and more. Start by customizing the styling of your menu, header, footer, and any sitewide elements. Then, add any additional pages and plugins you want.
Customizations are completed through the WordPress dashboard. Click on “Appearance” in the left-hand menu, then click on “Themes” in the drop-down menu. When the list of themes appears, click on “Customize” for the live theme and use the left-hand menu to adjust site elements, including colors, fonts, layout, and more.
Depending on your site needs, you may want to add additional pages or plugins. The process for both is relatively easy; get the step-by-step details on how to add these elements in our article on how to make a WordPress website.
6. Publish Your Forum
Make your forum website live by clicking the “Launch your site” button from the “Bluehost” tab at the top of the vertical left-hand menu. Confirm that your site is accessible on the web by inputting your domain name in your browser’s address bar.
To make sure that your forum is appearing correctly, navigate to your forum page, and make sure all information is publicly visible and rendered correctly. If not, refer back to step 4 and confirm all settings are correct.
What’s Next After Making a WordPress Forum?
Building your WordPress forum is only half the battle. After making a forum, you need to publicize and promote it so that it gets traffic, new users—and most importantly—actively engaged users. Once you have generated traffic to your forum, you’ll then need to continually moderate it to help ensure it’s a positive community that is free of spammers and trolls.
Promote Your Forum
The first step to getting users on your forum and building an active community is to create awareness of your forum. There are a number of ways you can publicize or market your forum to gain traffic; consider promoting it to your existing customers, sharing it in social media blasts, advertising it in email campaigns, and more.
Here are five ways to publicize your forum:
- Email your customer base: If you already have an existing customer base, send a mass email announcing your new forum to your customers. This will help build awareness and drive users to your forum.
- Market using other forums: Most likely, your forum will be in competition with other forums. Get active on those forums and, when appropriate, reference your forum in instances when it would provide users with helpful information.
- Form partnerships: If you don’t have an existing customer base, consider forming partnerships with businesses that have customers who fit your ideal forum user. For example, a gardening supply company with a new forum on spring planting could partner with a local nursery.
- Try paid search ads: Use online advertisements, such as Google Ads, to gain the attention of new users.
- Be active on social media: Facebook has groups and communities that essentially serve as forums. Participate in Facebook groups to create connections and form a network of users who would likely use your forum.
The key to marketing your forum is to understand who your ideal users are and find ways to connect with them. Get more tips on how to gain traffic to your forum with these website marketing strategies.
Moderate Your Forum
Forums need to be moderated, or managed, in order to remove spam, trolling (users posting off-topic questions to provoke other users), and forum abuse. It’s important to not only moderate your forum, but to moderate it correctly. To effectively moderate your forum, check it daily, have an active presence in your community, create a clear set of forum rules, and search for trolls.
Here are the top four things to do when moderating a forum:
- Check your forum daily: Maintain the health of your forum by checking it daily. This ensures new questions aren’t left unanswered if your forum is new, and helps prevent trolling of mature forums.
- Be involved in your community: Moderators should be involved in their communities and discussions in general. This keeps conversations going, provides users with more answers, and lets your presence be known.
- Clearly define forum rules: Outline all forum rules and share them as part of the forum registration process. If users are aware of rules, they are more likely to abide by them. It also gives you grounds to remove questions and comments that fail to comply.
- Look for trolls: Forum trolls are those who are looking to incite anger and provoke conflict on your forum. While conflicts on forums are bound to happen, consider if a user is trying to create conflict for its own sake as opposed to asking an honest question or posting an honest answer.
Forums are not a set-it-and-forget-it marketing tool. Remain active in your forum community to encourage engagement, direction conversation, and prevent abuse. As users come to know your forum as clean, trustworthy, and information-rich, the word will spread and more users will join.
5 Alternative Ways to Make a Forum Website
While we used WordPress and bbPress in this article to demonstrate how you can easily build a forum website, there are many ways to do so—some of which are even easier. For example, Wix is an all-in-one site builder that makes it easy to build a forum for your small business website. If you are less technically savvy or don’t have the time or energy to invest in a WordPress-based forum, consider the easy-to-use alternatives below.
Here are five alternative ways to make a forum website:
7 Tips on How to Make a Forum Website
Building a successful forum website involves a lot of work. However, the best forum websites have a number of things in common. For example, the best forums make it easy for users to create and participate in discussions, are optimized for search, sport mobile-friendly design, and encourage active growth of a positive community.
Here are seven tips on how to run a successful forum website:
- Only allow “nofollow” hyperlinks to avoid spam
- Set ground rules for forum members
- Start with a niche to create an engaged community
- Make sure your forum is mobile-friendly
- Use other forums to get traction
- Use gamification to increase engagement (e.g., upvote, user levels, and badges)
- Have active moderators
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I build a forum on Weebly?
Yes, Weebly can be used as a forum. While most think of Weebly when they need ultra-easy-to-use interface and ecommerce capabilities, it also offers users the ability to build forums. Add a forum to your Weebly site by going to the “Build” tab, then clicking “More.” Find “Forums” from the list of elements, then drag and drop it onto a site page.
Where can I find someone to build my forum website for me?
There are a number of ways to outsource your forum website build. One of the best options for finding and hiring low-cost freelancer forum builders is through Fiverr. There, you can search for web design and development experts, read freelancers reviews, and hire a freelancer to build your forum website for as little as $5.
How much does it cost to build a forum website?
The cost to build a forum website will vary based on which website building platform you use to build it, and if you do it yourself or hire a professional. The cost can range anywhere from a few dollars a month for web hosting with a DIY forum built on WordPress to $5 per month with Weebly, and upwards of thousands of dollars if outsourcing the work for a web design firm. For more information, read our article on website costs.
How do I monetize a forum website?
The main ways to monetize a forum are through on-page ads, memberships, and affiliate sales. For those just starting out, it’s recommended that forum creators monetize with advertisements using Google AdSense.
What additional basic elements need to be on my forum website?
While some websites are created primarily to house a forum, others are fully designed, information-rich sites that represent a business to the public. Each business will have different website needs, but consider including basic website elements like an About page, a Contact page, information about your products and services, and a page with staff bios.