This article is part of a larger series on POS Systems.
What We Recommend IT Retail For
We’ve examined dozens of POS software for many businesses such as dress shops, hairdressers, gas stations, and restaurants. IT Retail is one of the few with such a dedicated focus—in this case, grocery stores and markets. Nonetheless, its feature set also works great for other industries.
Specifically, we recommend IT Retail for:
- Grocery stores with multiple checkouts: Designed for markets and grocery stores, it offers excellent functions for tracking food inventory, ID checks, and managing multiple checkout lanes. It’s also one of the only POS systems with integrated online sales features built specifically for grocery businesses, earning it a spot among our recommended grocery POS systems. However, these features also make it a great fit for most food retailers including butchers, delis, cheese mongers, general stores, and natural food stores.
- Convenience stores needing security features: In addition to solid inventory management features and age verification, IT Retail is a great fit for convenience stores because of built-in employee scheduling and theft detection features.
- Liquor stores with large volume inventory: ID check, age verification tools, and solid inventory management features to track by case, six-pack, or bottle make IT Retail a good fit for liquor stores with large inventory.
IT Retail is also a good fit for thrift and dollar stores. With quick scanning, anti-employee theft tools, and detailed inventory functions, it meets the needs of Dollar Store-modeled businesses.
When IT Retail Would Not Be a Good Fit
- Service industries: IT Retail lacks scheduling tools and has many functions that might be extraneous to salons, hotels, and repair and handyman businesses. See our recommendations for the best salon-style POS software.
- Boutiques and fashion retailers: These stores would be better served with a retail POS system that offers matrix product inventory and back-office tools built for their specific needs.
- Restaurants: While IT Retail can support large inventory, it does not have the necessary tools for menu management or ingredient-based tracking. Our recommended restaurant POS systems have these features plus specific tools for table mapping and coursing and for serving guests tableside.
- Event industries: IT Retail does not handle tickets or events reservations. Storefront businesses needing a full-featured ticketing POS system may find KORONA POS to be a good fit.
- Mobile businesses: IT Retail is best suited for stationary checkout lanes. Though they have an integration with FutureProof Retail for in-store self-service mobile checkouts, this feature is meant for in-store mobility. See our top picks for mobile POS apps and food truck POS systems for more portable checkout options.
Looking for something different? See our guide to the best POS systems for small businesses to find a solution that matches your needs.
IT Retail Overview
|Can continue processing transactions with intermittent internet connection||Steep learning curve|
|Inventory includes low-stock alerts and breakdowns by bottles or cases||No email marketing|
|Scale integration with optional onsite installation||Undisclosed pricing for hardware and payment processing|
|Theft monitoring and age verification tools||No liquor industry specific ecommerce integrations|
|Industry-grade and flexible hardware options||Reports of software glitches, downtime, and general system functionality issues|
IT Retail Pricing
IT Retail’s software subscriptions start at $79 per month. The provider offers customized quotes for software, hardware, and payment processing. You can also pay to have on-site installation, product importing, geo-replicated data backups, and payment processing evaluations. Hardware is sold separately.
Starts at $79 per month
EMV, NFC, Gift Cards, and EBT Payments
Full Back-Office Reporting
Wholesale Import Utility
Android App for Inventory
Import Price Changes From Vendors
Centralized Data On-Premise/Cloud Synced
To get a general idea of its products and services, its website has a page where you can get a POS setup recommendation by providing the numbers of checkout lanes and stores you run. IT Retail typically recommends its local grocery POS solution called Retail Market POS if you have five checkout lanes or fewer or a single store location.
For businesses with over five checkout lanes or more than one store location, IT Retail recommends its higher subscription plan for supermarkets (Retail Professional) and enterprises (Retail Enterprise).
IT Retail offers its own payment processing solution to simplify payment processing management. A built-in processor means using one software for accepting payments, and your transactions, inventory, and sales are updated in real time. Again, the pricing is customized so there is no information on its website, but we reached out to an IT Retail representative and confirmed that there is no monthly fee. They also offer both.fixed rate and interchange plus depending on what you prefer.
Its website also says it can offer better rates than its competitors, so contact IT Retail for more information.
To get the lowest rates, shop around and get a few quotes from merchant service providers ahead of time and see if IT Retail can match or beat the lowest ones.
IT Retail sells registers, scanners (including scanner scales), PIN pads, customer display, and self-checkout kiosks. You can also use its mobile app to manage inventory through your smartphone. These tools were all designed to work with the software and to be quick, reliable, and ergonomically optimized for cashiers. However, you will need to contact IT Retail to request a quote.
While the IT Retail system is compatible with third-party hardware, it works best with more rugged hardware options designed to last in high-volume businesses like grocery stores—unlike more generic POS systems that run on iPads.
IT Retail Features
IT Retail offers all-in-one POS solutions: Retail Market POS for small, local grocers; Retail Professional for supermarkets; and Retail Enterprise for supermarket chains. These packages include software, hardware, and payment processing to get your store up and running quickly. Its technical team can assist on-site (may cost extra) or remotely, including coordinating with states on eWIC and other issues if needed. IT Retail also offers on-site or video training for employees.
Below is a summary of tools and features for each of IT Retail’s POS packages:
Checkout & Register
With an organized screen that includes buttons, pop-up menus, and a search bar, IT Retail makes it easy for cashiers to sign in, run transactions, handle loyalty programs or layaway/tabs, and even put a transaction on hold so they can ring up a different customer. The POS system is designed to accommodate the fast pace of a busy grocery store. Other functions include:
- EMV, NFC, gift cards, eWIC, and EBT payments
- Cash, credit, check, and contactless payments
- Offline mode, so you can keep selling even when the internet is down
- Integration with the latest scanner/scales from Zebra and Datalogic
- Price overrides
- Programmable in-store charge limits
- Safe drops
- Product editing or addition on the front end
- Customer displays
- Integration with other apps for coupon optimization and more
The loyalty program is highly customizable with discount settings that let you offer rewards by product, percentage, and days of the week. You can set up points earned per dollar, as well. The rewards program is easily accessible from the front end. In addition, IT Retail integrates with AppCard, which can learn your customer’s buying habits and deliver marketing messages to increase return visits.
You can add products individually or in bulk on the back-end or add them at the register from the manager dashboard. You can also make batch changes such as to price. The software even has low stock alerts, as it tracks inventory count in real time, so cashiers know if they are low on an item. The platform also enables you to generate purchase orders and receive against an order or on the fly.
One of IT Retail’s best inventory features is the mobile scanner app. Employees and managers can use this app to receive stock, perform inventory counts, add and change products on the fly, adjust pricing in batches (for sales), generate and send purchase orders, and compile lists of shelf tags to print.
IT Retail is good for many kinds of retail stores, but it offers tools designed with groceries in mind such as self-checkout kiosks, customer-facing displays, and the ability to switch a lane from self-checkout to cashier-assisted checkouts. Other useful tools include:
- Calculating by weight or quantity
- Product lookup
- Gesture controlled scrolling
- Multiple-scale integration
- Bottle deposit
- WIC considerations
In 2020, FutureProof Retail announced its partnership with IT Retail to provide a digitized in-person shopping solution in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The software includes line-free mobile checkout and order ahead features for businesses in the grocery industry. This is an optional add-on, which, according to FutureProof, does not require a long-term contract and offers customized pricing.
The pandemic has made online grocery shopping more than just a convenience, and stores that can accommodate it see increased sales and customer satisfaction. IT Retail has joined with several online grocery and delivery services to help you process orders.
For example, by using Mercato via IT Retail, you can offer products like specialty, fresh, and branded items. Mercato monitors orders and deliveries and manages payments and refunds. IT Retail also integrates with Local Express, Freshshop, My Cloud, and Instacart.
You can set employee permissions for the back-end or front-end. Employees clock in and out directly from the register, and the software creates timecards and tracks their activities. In the reports section, you can use this data to see your top performers, compare employees against an average, and even identify suspicious activity. It also offers rapid onboarding for multiple employees.
The sales dashboard offers real-time data of your business’ performance with reports that include visual graphs or spreadsheet listings so that you can explore the information in a way that’s best for your needs. You can examine data by stores, departments, and even individual sellers. Get high-level analysis like how price changes affected sales or profits, or drill down to specific transactions by viewing the original receipt. IT Retail’s data downloads directly to Excel or QuickBooks for accounting or deeper analysis.
Other IT Retail’s backend reports and analytics features include:
- Cloud-based data storage: Access your business data remotely from any computer or mobile device.
- Mobile optimization: The reporting dashboard is optimized for mobile with a simple interface compatible with both iOS and Android devices.
- Machine-learning algorithms: IT Retail’s analytics uses machine learning algorithms to create insightful reports from sales data to employee performance.
IT Retail Ease of Use
This company is so dedicated to ensuring a smooth checkout experience for grocery stores that its hiring process includes making new employees work in a grocery store for a day to understand the challenges. It’s built for speed and reliability, so you don’t lose customers because of slow or glitchy systems.
In addition to 24/7 technical support, it offers on-site training during the product rollout, as well as through a library of videos. There’s an emergency number posted on its website—not something we’ve seen for other software companies. Regular support hours are extended from Monday to Friday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time.
IT Retail Alternatives
Mobile and multichannel sales and businesses on a budget
Gas stations and convenience stores
Ticket sales and liquor and convenience stores
Starts at $0
Starts at $99
Starts at $49
POS Nation Payments
If you’re unsure IT Retail POS is right for you, see how it compares with our top POS systems.
What Users Think of IT Retail
User reviews across multiple sites like the software in general. While some said it was more than they had wanted to spend on the system, they also noted that it was worth the price. Most praised the ease of use and the grocery store features, although a few mentioned that they had some glitches in the back-end.
Those that loved its customer service said they had developed a strong relationship with them. However, customer service also had the most complaints with those not liking it, explaining that they were slow to respond. One user expressed that they could not find an operating manual.
Here’s how IT Retail scores across popular review sites:
- Capterra: 4.9 out of 5 stars based on about 10 reviews
- Trustpilot: 3.5 out of 5 stars based on around 15 reviews
Users Don’t Like
Made by grocers for grocers
Support slow to resolve issues
Strong relationship with customer support
If speedy transactions are a priority, IT Retail is worth looking into. Designed for busy grocery stores, IT Retail’s optimized hardware and software creates the most efficient workflows, whether for cashiers or customers at a self-serve kiosk—and especially for markets with multiple checkout lanes. Real-world users say that the interface is smooth and easy and generally praise customer support. Contact IT Retail for a demo today.