Free ecommerce website builders list products for sale online, accept orders, and process payments. Some support unlimited products; others limit product listings but offer added perks, such as social media integrations and blogging tools. We reviewed the top-rated options to help you select the best free ecommerce website builder for your business’ online selling needs.
6 Best Free Ecommerce Websites in 2019
|Free Ecommerce Website Builder||Best For|
|Square||(Best Overall) Businesses wanting a free point-of-sale (POS) with a website|
|WooCommerce||WordPress users or bloggers who want to add ecommerce features to WordPress|
|FreeWebStore||Online sellers wanting to quickly launch a fairly customized ecommerce website|
|Ecwid||Online sellers wanting a free ecommerce store for Wix, Weebly, and other platforms|
|Strikingly||Businesses promoting and selling a single product or service online|
|MyOnlineStore||International sellers who want a free ecommerce website with multiple language features|
How We Evaluated the Best Free Ecommerce Website Builders
Most users looking for a free ecommerce website builder need basic online selling tools like product listings, payment functionality, and information pages. Advanced features like mobile-friendly sites, social media sales, and search engine optimization (SEO) features often come with a price tag. However, the best ecommerce website builders include some of these added perks.
Since the best free ecommerce website builder depends on a seller’s unique needs, we reviewed a range of criteria:
- Ease of Use – We focused on free ecommerce website builders that let startups and small businesses quickly launch and easily manage an online store.
- Number of Products – Most ecommerce websites limit the number of items you can list in the free version, but Square and WooCommerce have no product listing limits.
- Product Types – Most ecommerce websites let you sell physical goods, and a few also support sales of digital goods via instant download.
- Payment Providers – Free ecommerce website platforms support select online payment services, like Square, Stripe, or PayPal, but most won’t let you connect a traditional merchant account.
- Multichannel Sales – Some ecommerce website builders let sellers tie online, in-store, and mobile sales together via built-in or integrated point-of-sale (POS) systems and mobile card readers.
- Shipping Management – Every online seller needs to be able to apply shipping fees to orders, print shipping labels for packages, and notify customers when orders ship; some free ecommerce platforms handle this better than others.
- Sitewide Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) – Sitewide SSL helps sites rank higher in Google rankings, but few free ecommerce websites provide free sitewide SSL, and most charge for this feature.
- Mobile-friendly Website – Mobile-friendly store designs make it easy for shoppers to buy using their tablet or cell phone, but not all free ecommerce websites are mobile-friendly.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – A few free ecommerce website builders give you SEO tools; others make these available via add-ons or paid plans.
- Social Media Sales Integrations – A few free ecommerce website builders support social selling via a Facebook Shop, Instagram Shoppable Posts, and Pinterest Buyable Pins.
Clearly, the best ecommerce website builder for one business may not be right for another. Some sellers want to combine in-store and online sales, while others need advanced social media tools or are looking to add a store to their blog. Also, you’ll always pay fees for processing credit card online—plus some “free” platforms charge small transaction fees. However, these costs occur only when a sale is made. Otherwise, free ecommerce platforms have no startup or fixed account fees.
Whatever your sales need, our picks for the best free ecommerce website builders deliver an array of selling features to help you get started on a shoestring. However, free ecommerce websites might not deliver all you need to grow your business. Our review of the best ecommerce platforms for 2019 covers more robust solutions.
Square: Best Free Ecommerce Website for Selling Anywhere
We recommend Square’s free ecommerce website for sellers who want to sell both online and in person, like in a retail setting or at markets or fairs. You get a simple, one-page website with unlimited product listings, built-in payments, and all sales all neatly tied together within Square’s free retail point-of-sale (POS) and business management system.
Square Free Ecommerce Website Builder Features
Square is one of three free ecommerce builders on our list that lets you list unlimited products. However, the one-page you get is quite simple. You can’t build out separate category pages, store information pages, or add a blog. That said, site design is clean and modern, takes just moments to set up, and you can categorize, group, and list products however you wish.
Here’s how Square’s free ecommerce website builder fulfills our criteria:
- Ease of Use – Square’s free ecommerce website takes just minutes to set up and populate with products, and managing orders is a snap within Square’s intuitive POS system dashboard.
- Number of Products – Square gives you unlimited product listings with categories and inventory tracking.
- Product Types – Sell physical goods with variations like size and color, along with services and emailed event tickets. Square even lets you accept online donations.
- Payment Providers – Square is its own payment processor; you must use it to accept payments in your Square ecommerce website.
- Multichannel Sales – Tie online, in-store, mobile, and even invoice sales within Square’s streamlined management system. You can also set up orders for in-store pickup or electronic delivery for event tickets.
- Shipping Management – Apply shipping fees per order or per item, or offer free shipping in the free Square online store. Print shipping labels via Square’s integration with ShipStation shipping software, which starts at $9 per month and provides discounted USPS rates.
- Sitewide Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) – Square applies sitewide SSL to the entire site, including product listings and checkout pages.
- Mobile-friendly Website – Choose from four different mobile-friendly store themes.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – There are no SEO tools in Square’s free ecommerce website builder.
- Social Media Sales Integrations – You can include icon links to your Facebook, Pinterest, and other social media accounts, but there are no built-in social share features on products.
Where Square really shines is in tying all types of sales together—in-store, mobile, and online—using one tidy business management tool. No other free ecommerce website builder does all of this. You can manage everything using one dashboard, including multiple sales outlets and retail locations. It’s really an impressive startup and small business solution all around, considering it’s all essentially free.
See how easy it is to set up a free ecommerce website using Square in our Square online store setup guide.
Square’s free ecommerce website builder is completely free. There are no startup or monthly fees at all with Square. Your only cost is Square’s credit card processing fee, which is 2.9% + 30 cents per online sale.
You also get powerful retail and mobile POS software, which includes inventory management, business reporting, and many other features—all for free. This makes Square an excellent value for most startups and small businesses—especially those that sell both in-person and online. Learn all that Square delivers in our guide to Square services and fees.
What Square Is Missing
Square falls short of most free ecommerce website builders in three key areas:
- Multi-page Ecommerce Website – Most of the free ecommerce website builders on our list support multi-page websites, which is better for online stores that carry large inventories. Square’s one-page website really isn’t suited for listing more than 100 products.
- Social Media Sales – Square’s free store doesn’t support product listings on social media sites. If you want to list products for sale in a Facebook Shop and on Instagram and Pinterest, you’ll need an ecommerce website builder like Ecwid or Spreesy.
- Credit Card Processing Options – You can’t use another credit card processor like PayPal, Stripe, or your own merchant account provider with Square’s free ecommerce website. Square’s many sales tools are part of Square’s all-in-one payment and business management solution.
Overall, users love Square’s sell-anywhere capabilities and many value-added benefits, including free POS software, mobile credit card readers, assorted business management tools, and simple payment processing with competitive fees. The free Square ecommerce website builder is a great added feature of this highly popular, all-in-one retail sales tool.
See what users have to say about Square in our Square POS user reviews.
WooCommerce: Best Free Ecommerce Website for WordPress Users
We recommend WooCommerce for WordPress users who want to add ecommerce features to their blog or website. The free WooCommerce plug-in is the number-one ecommerce cart for WordPress, powering about 30% of online stores worldwide. It’s the most feature-packed, free ecommerce website builder on our list, but it does come with a learning curve.
WooCommerce Free Ecommerce Website Builder Features
Like Square, WooCommerce is one of the three on our list that supports unlimited products. It also delivers more site design options, blogging capabilities, and online selling features than any other platform on our list. It take time to learn all that WooCommerce can do, but if it sounds like the best ecommerce website builder for you, our WooCommerce setup guide will help you get started quickly.
Here’s how WooCommerce’s free ecommerce website builder fulfills our criteria:
- Ease of Use – WooCommerce delivers the most features, design options, and expansion capabilities of the platforms on our list, and that comes with a bigger learning curve. However, learning to use WooCommerce is time well-spent if you’re serious about selling online.
- Number of Products – Unlimited product listings with categories, sub-categories, and detailed inventory tracking.
- Product Types – You can sell anything with WooCommerce: physical products with variations like size and color, digital download items, online memberships, and even accept donations.
- Payment Providers – You can connect the payment provider of your choice to WooCommerce, like PayPal, Stripe, or your own merchant account. You can even use Square as your payment provider and integrate Square POS with WooCommerce.
- Multichannel Sales – WooCommerce is primarily an online sales solution, but you can integrate it with Square for in-person selling, and add plug-ins to support Amazon and eBay sales—for a fee.
- Shipping Management – WooCommerce provides built-in USPS label printing, and it integrates with most top-rated shipping services like ShippingEasy and ShipStation.
- Sitewide Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) – Most WordPress hosting providers, like Bluehost, provide sitewide SSL with your hosting plan.
- Mobile-friendly Website – Choose from four different mobile-friendly store themes.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – WooCommerce has some built-in SEO features, but you can boost these with the free Yoast SEO plug-in for WordPress.
- Social Media Sales Integrations – You need plug-ins to link your WooCommerce products to social media sites. Facebook for WooCommerce is free for Facebook Shop setup, and others support Instagram and Pinterest listings as well.
WooCommerce’s free ecommerce website builder is ideal for the seller who wants to build a content-rich website and full-featured store. Quality content drives much of online marketing, so if you’re serious about making money online, consider the WordPress/WooCommerce option.
WooCommerce is a free WordPress ecommerce plug-in that delivers a ton of online selling features. However, you must add WooCommerce to an existing WordPress site or blog for it to work. It’s not a standalone ecommerce website platform.
If you don’t have a WordPress site, you’ll have to set one up before you can use WooCommerce. That costs $6.95 per month with our recommended WordPress hosting provider, Bluehost. If you’re starting from scratch, WooCommerce is not a completely free solution, unlike the others on our list. However, at just $6.95 per month, it’s a terrific value for all of the features it delivers.
What WooCommerce Is Missing
Feature-wise, WooCommerce isn’t missing much at all—especially when you consider its unlimited expandability via free and low-cost plug-ins. That’s why it’s considered one of the best ecommerce website builders available.
However, in terms of free ecommerce website builders, WooCommerce isn’t strictly free. You must have a WordPress site to run WooCommerce. If you already use WordPress, then great—adding WooCommerce is free. If not, you’re looking at $6.95 per month to host a WordPress site so you can run WooCommerce.
WooCommerce has a very loyal fan base and many users migrate to it from other major ecommerce platforms. Being WordPress-based, WooCommerce stores offer virtually unlimited design options and functionality. If you can dream it, you can do it on with WordPress and WooCommerce, and that’s what its users appreciate.
See what WooCommerce fans have to say in our WooCommerce user reviews.
FreeWebStore: Best Free Ecommerce Website for Easy Customization
FreeWebStore is the best free ecommerce website builder for users who want many store design options. It offers 45 sleek, modern, and mobile-friendly store themes. You also get 30 product listings in the free version, which is more than Ecwid’s 10-item limit. FreeWebStore also supports many top-rated payment gateways and gives you free sitewide SSL.
FreeWebStore Free Ecommerce Website Builder Features
Unlike Square and WooCommerce, FreeWebStore doesn’t allow unlimited product listings in the free plan—but you get other perks. Its multi-page ecommerce store beats Square’s simple, one-page website. Features like social media links and sitewide SSL are completely built-in, unlike WooCommerce, which requires outside plug-ins or hosting add-ons.
Here’s how FreeWebStore’s free ecommerce website plan fulfills our criteria:
- Ease of Use – With 45 ready-to-go store designs, FreeWebStore makes it quick and easy to launch a stylish store. The back-end management system is a bit dated, but it’s easy to navigate and find the help you need in online tutorials.
- Number of Products – Up to 30 free product listings with categories and inventory tracking.
- Product Types – You can sell physical and digital products on FreeWebStore, and include variants like size and color.
- Payment Providers – You can connect to many top-rated payment providers, including PayPal, Stripe, AuthorizeNet, and more.
- Multichannel Sales – You don’t get any native integrations to list products on Amazon or social media sites, but there are plug-ins that enable this.
- Shipping Management – The free version is limited in shipping management features. Label printing is not built-in and you have to update shipping confirmations manually. The paid plans support UPS and FedEx shipping integrations to automate these tasks.
- Sitewide Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) – The free plan includes sitewide SSL.
- Mobile-friendly Website – All 45 store designs are mobile-friendly
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – SEO optimization tools are built-in and available on every page and product listing.
- Social Media Sales Integrations – FreeWebStore displays social media icons sitewide. However, these are not the more advanced “social share” links that WooCommerce supports.
FreeWebStore is not the match of top-rated paid ecommerce platforms like Shopify or BigCommerce, which start at $29 per month. However, you get a lot of selling tools for free, and with 45 smashing site designs, anyone can quickly launch a beautiful, free ecommerce website.
FreeWebStore is very straightforward in its pricing. The free account plan allows 30 product listings. You’re charged a 2% transaction fee per sale, which is in addition to your credit card payment processor’s fees (nothing is ever 100% free, alas!). Paid plans range from $20 to $50 per month, with increasing product listings and features, and decreasing per transaction fees.
If you don’t need to list more than 30 products at any one time, the free account is probably all you’ll ever need. However, it’s always nice to know that you can extend your site for a reasonable fee as you grow.
What FreeWebStore Is Missing
FreeWebStore’s free version lacks some key sales features, but these may not matter to your startup or operation. Most notably, you won’t get:
- Unlimited product listings—you can only list 30 products for free
- Integrated shipping label printing—requires paid plan
- Social share icons on product pages
- Extra information pages or a blog section—requires paid plan
Also, integration with in-store POS systems or mobile payments isn’t a standard feature at all. In contrast, Square includes both in its base service, and WooCommerce and Ecwid both offer an integration with Square to fulfill that need. FreeWebStore is a bit behind the rest in the multichannel sales realm.
Reviews show that users appreciate three main perks: 45 cool store designs, 30 free product listings, and a wide variety of payment processors to choose from. Most users agree the platform and back-end management tools are a bit dated. However, it’s a reliable platform that gives the startup a lot to work with for no upfront costs. No wonder more than 500,000 small business ecommerce websites use FreeWebStore.
Ecwid: Best Free Ecommerce Website Add-On Store
Ecwid is best for sellers who want to add a free ecommerce store to their existing website. Ecwid does provide a standalone online store, but most users integrate free Ecwid stores into existing Wix, Weebly, or WordPress websites. You can even publish one Ecwid store onto multiple websites to sell through different online brands.
Ecwid Free Ecommerce Website Builder Features
Ecwid’s free features are limited compared to its paid plans, but the free plan delivers plenty of sales tools and perks. The free standalone site is more complex than Square’s one-page store, SSL is built-in, and—the standout feature—it seamlessly integrates with other websites. It also integrates with top shipping software to streamline order fulfillment and shipping processes.
Plus, if you move to a paid plan, Ecwid’s social selling features, marketing tools, and Square POS integration soundly top the advanced features of FreeWebStore, Strikingly, and MyOnlineStore.
Here’s how Ecwid’s free ecommerce website starter plan fulfills our criteria:
- Ease of Use – Ecwid offers a very modern and intuitive interface that’s geared for the novice user. Setup is fast, integration with other websites is plug-and-play, and the management dashboard is simple to navigate.
- Number of Products – Get 10 free product listings with categories and inventory tracking.
- Product Types – You can sell physical products in the free version and include variations such as color and size; digital products require a paid plan.
- Payment Providers – You can connect to more than 50 payment providers, including Square, PayPal, Stripe, AuthorizeNet, and many international payment gateways. Multi-language translation and currencies are built-in.
- Multichannel Sales – Ecwid’s free store connects to most website platforms, so you can sell via many web channels. Social selling via Facebook Shop and Instagram, eBay integration, and POS and mobile sales integrations are available on paid plans.
- Shipping Management – Ecwid integrates with most shipping rate comparison software like ShippingEasy, which also has a free plan. This is the easiest way to streamline printing shipping labels and send tracking updates to customers.
- Sitewide Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) – The free plan includes sitewide SSL.
- Mobile-friendly Website – Ecwid ecommerce websites are fully responsive and mobile-friendly.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – SEO optimization tools are built-in and available on every page and product listing.
- Social Media Sales Integrations – Ecwid’s free ecommerce website plan displays social media icons sitewide. On paid plans, you can list and sell products via your Facebook Shop and through Instagram shoppable posts.
Ecwid’s paid plan features compete closely with top startup ecommerce platforms Shopify and BigCommerce. In fact, it delivers much of what those leading platforms offer for about half the price. If a full-featured ecommerce sales management platform is appealing—but you don’t want to bother with learning WooCommerce—Ecwid is a terrific value.
Ecwid’s free plan supports 10 product listings and you can launch a standalone store or connect it to an existing website. In fact, if you have a Wix or Weebly website, Ecwid is the best way to add ecommerce features for free. Both Wix and Weebly offer ecommerce features, but only with added fees. Ecwid provides a free option.
Like FreeWebStore, Strikingly, and MyOnlineStore, Ecwid also has paid tiers that range from $15 to $99 per month. Like the others with multiple plans, each tier unlocks added features, such as social selling integrations, coupons, and even a branded mobile app. It’s nice that these can be easily added as you grow by simply upgrading to a paid plan. You can even seamlessly integrate Ecwid with Square POS at the $99 monthly plan level.
What Ecwid Is Missing
The biggest downside of Ecwid’s free plan is the 10-product limit and, if you sell digital products, you need a paid plan. Since you can integrate the free (or paid) Ecwid store to so many website platforms, your overall blogging, content, and design options are quite extensive.
Users love Ecwid—period. You’ll find very consistent 4-plus star ratings anywhere you look. Ease of use, intuitive dashboard and design, simple shipping integrations, and its unique multi-platform store approach soundly place it among the best free ecommerce website builders available. See what actual users have to say in our Ecwid user reviews.
Strikingly: Best Free Ecommerce Website for Landing Pages
Startups and small businesses that sell just a single product or service can do a lot with a landing page website. Strikingly’s free Simple Store creates an ultra-modern, landing page-style website with ecommerce capabilities. You can only list and sell one product or service in the free version, but that might be all you need.
Strikingly Free Ecommerce Website Builder Features
Strikingly is very simple to use and setup takes just minutes using its ready-made design templates. The Simple Store’s single-page template is quite modern, and you can add sections of content to market your services, products, and social media links.
Here’s how Strikingly’s Simple Store free ecommerce website fulfills our criteria:
- Ease of Use – A Strikingly website takes just minutes to set up, and edits and updates are a breeze.
- Number of Products – The free Starter Store is limited to one item.
- Product Types – You can sell physical products in Strikingly, track inventory, and list variants like color and size.
- Payment Providers – You can use either PayPal or Stripe to accept payments in Strikingly.
- Multichannel Sales – Strikingly doesn’t currently feed listings to other sales channels or integrate with POS systems.
- Shipping Management – There are no built-in shipping label features or integrations; you can download orders to shipping software via a CSV file.
- Sitewide Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) – Sitewide SSL isn’t a listed feature at this time, but the PayPal and Stripe-hosted checkouts are SSL-encrypted.
- Mobile-friendly Website – All Strikingly websites are responsive and mobile-friendly.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – There are no notable SEO tools built into Strikingly yet.
- Social Media Sales Integrations – Strikingly gives you sitewide social icon links in the footer section of your website. However, you can add social feeds from your social media sites to your Strikingly website. This is an interesting feature that lets you create site content via your social channels
Strikingly is a newer website platform and has some interesting next-generation features that some sellers can find useful—like the social feeds and long, single-page sites. You can extend capabilities with a select list of apps for lead collection forms, Google maps, ticket sales—even connect an Ecwid store—but there’s nothing for shipping or added payment providers yet.
Strikingly’s free Simple Store is limited to selling just one product or service. If you plan to sell multiple products, Strikingly’s free plan isn’t the right fit. However, if you’re an artisan selling one-off items, if you sell hourly services, or if you’re an inventor marketing one product, Strikingly is an ideal free ecommerce website.
Like FreeWebStore, Ecwid, and MyOnlineStore, Strikingly has paid tiers ranging from $8 to $49 per month, with added features at each level. Each level also lets you create additional unique stores using the more complex store features. If you’re planning to manage different branded lines, Strikingly’s multi-store plans can be an economical solution.
What Strikingly Is Missing
Some standard ecommerce features, like shipping integrations, social selling, and multichannel integrations, are missing from Strikingly. However, not every online seller needs those elements to be successful. If you’re just selling a single item, you probably don’t need those features and won’t ever miss them.
Strikingly is attracting some positive attention. It’s a newer platform and, as we state above, rather next-generation in terms of online marketing and selling features. It’s really geared for long, scrolling landing page-type sites. These suit specific users well, and those users rate Strikingly very high—typically 4-plus stars. See what actual users have to say in our Strikingly user reviews.
MyOnlineStore: Best Free Ecommerce Website for E.U. Sales
MyOnlineStore is based in the E.U., and it packs some notable sales features into its free ecommerce website. You get powerful built-in language translation for both site visitors and back-end management—you can even sort your orders by language or country. Its design tools are top-notch and include a cutting-edge, drag-and-drop editor for easy customization.
MyOnlineStore Free Ecommerce Website Builder Features
A standout feature of MyOnlineStore is its drag-and-drop site editor. In our list, only WooCommerce can match this level of site customization, and its learning curve is much steeper. Language translation, international currencies, payment gateways, and shipping provider integrations make international sales more manageable, too.
Here’s how MyOnlineStore’s free ecommerce website fulfills our criteria:
- Ease of Use – MyOnlineStore offers a very modern, intuitive interface and is built to serve the needs of ecommerce newbies.
- Number of Products – You can list up to 25 products in the free plan and track inventory for each.
- Product Types – You can sell physical products in MyOnlineStore and list variants like color and size.
- Payment Providers – You can use PayPal or various international payment processors.
- Multichannel Sales – MyOnlineStore doesn’t offer native product feeds to Amazon or eBay at this time.
- Shipping Management – Integrations with SendCloud for E.U. shipping via DHL and localized carriers.
- Sitewide Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) – Unfortunately, this is limited to paid plans.
- Mobile-friendly Website – All site themes are modern, responsive, and mobile-friendly.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – Some SEO tools are available at the free plan level, but advanced Google-optimized pages are on paid plans only.
- Social Media Sales Integrations – You can connect social media accounts and even add the Facebook Pixel for ad tracking, but there are no product feeds to Facebook Shop, Pinterest, or Instagram.
Like Strikingly, MyOnlineStore is a newer platform and some of the elements that are missing—like social selling and added shipping partner integrations—are likely to expand over time. The major selling points are international sales features and its smashing store design tools. If you’re looking for either (or both) of these capabilities in a free ecommerce website, try MyOnlineStore on for size.
MyOnlineStore lets you list 25 products in its free version. Like FreeWebStore, Ecwid, and Strikingly, MyOnlineStore has free and paid plans, but unlike the others, features aren’t limited in the free plan. You can access virtually every online selling tool, sales management, and site feature in the free plan.
MyOnlineStore’s free plan doesn’t support sitewide SSL, unlike others on our list. Also, advanced SEO features are reserved for paid plans, which range from $22 to $56 per month.
What MyOnlineStore Is Missing
The biggest surprise is MyOnlineStore’s lack of social sales or built-in social sharing icons. It’s surprising that this modern platform doesn’t support those elements in free or paid plans. There also aren’t any integrations with U.S. carrier shipping software yet—the focus is the E.U. Again, that’s something that might come in time, but if E.U. sales are a focus for your business, this localized platform can get it done.
This newer platform hasn’t built up many user reviews, but it has caught the eye of industry critics. By and large, it’s well received because of its generous, 25-item free version that delivers nearly every feature, international and localized E.U. sales perks, and drag-and-drop site design tools that are well worth a look.
There aren’t many free ecommerce website builders on the market, but the few that are get the job done in a number of ways. The six best free ecommerce website builders selected for our 2019 list fill specific online selling needs well. You simply need to decide which features are most important to your business.
Square is our recommended all-in-one solution for online startups and any seller planning to combine online, in-store, and mobile sales. You get a free ecommerce website with your free Square account. You can even pair Square with two other top contenders on our list—WooCommerce and Ecwid—to create a more advanced online store for free. Square delivers the tools you need to grow and you can get started with Square today completely risk free.