The best sales management software will offer tools to assist business owners or sales managers with developing sales plans, communicating among sales teams, monitoring the pipeline, motivating individual sales reps, and using insights to improve various components of the sales process.
We looked at multiple sales management software options that can be used for overseeing and managing team sales activities, and have narrowed it down to the top six options.
- amoCRM: Best overall, for sales managers who want messaging capabilities
- Freshsales: Great option for smaller sales teams looking for a free option
- Zoho CRM: Excellent choice for sales managers looking for team motivation tools
- Salesmate CRM: For sales teams that want built-in phone systems
- Insightly: For sales managers who are often tasked with projects
- Pipeliner: For larger sales teams that want mass customization
How We Evaluated the Best Sales Management Software
To determine the best sales management software, we evaluated overall product pricing as well as capabilities specific for overseeing sales team operations. This could include sales forecasting or reporting features, tools to monitor sales activities, and solutions for team communication and motivation. We also looked at other factors such as the ease of use of the product and customer support.
It’s important to note that sales management functionality can be found in many customer relationship management (CRM) software products. Therefore, all of the software options evaluated were CRMs that can also offer more additional solutions, like sales, marketing, and project management tools.
Based on our evaluation, amoCRM is the best overall choice because of its availability of a free option, low-cost paid plans, all-around ease of use, and its strong capability for outbound sales messaging communication.
The tabs below offer insight into our evaluation process for choosing the best CRM sales management software:
40% of Overall Score
With cost typically being among the most important criteria for any small business, price was most heavily weighted when reviewing the best sales management CRMs. We considered access to free plans, varying subscription options, and whether or not monthly billing was available.
20% of Overall Score
Sales management software provides functional solutions for managing sales operations, including team communication tools, sales oversight capabilities, and functionality for managing sales-related projects. These solutions were evaluated in addition to CRM tools for other sales, marketing, customer service, and project management activities.
15% of Overall Score
The functions of any application are only as beneficial as it is usable. Thus, these criteria were analyzed by the technical skill required to set up the sales management software, the knowledge needed to operate the platform, and the overall intuitiveness of navigating the interface.
15% of Overall Score
Extensive support and service can prevent issues a user might encounter while using the platform. These were evaluated in terms of customer service hours and availability of support via phone, live chat, and email.
10% of Overall Score
In addition to firsthand experiences with the providers, we evaluated what other users are saying about each CRM. These criteria consider how customers feel based on their reviews to gain insight on product popularity, ease of use, and overall value for money.
amoCRM: Best Overall Sales Management Software
*Prices are based on annual billing.
The amoCRM product takes full advantage of a common sales trend of more accessibility to potential customers through a messaging or chat type channel. It markets itself as a platform for “messenger-based sales,” which can fully benefit sales managers who wish to use this methodology as a sales strategy.
The many messaging options that integrate with the platform and allow users centralized access include Facebook Messenger, Instagram, Skype, and WhatsApp. Users find the messaging functions are super-easy to use and can lead to solid connections with prospects.
The ability for a sales manager to monitor login activity within a sales management CRM is important for security purposes, and amoCRM only offers that capability on the Enterprise plan. If this feature is important to you, we recommend alternative solutions like Zoho CRM, which allows managers to view system audit logs from the Standard level plan.
- Key performance indicators (KPIs) can be measured in the platform
- Built-in team messaging features for effective communication
- Analytics tools for setting sales targets, forecasting future sales, measuring performance, and honing in on problem areas in the sales process
- Integrations with Google Analytics and websites for lead capture and engagement data
- Activity log that allows managers to view sales activity of individual reps for guidance, instruction, or spotting weak points
Freshsales: Best Free Sales Management Software
*Pricing is based on a monthly billing option. Annual subscriptions are available as well for those who prefer long-term contracts.
Freshsales offers the best free plan on this list of sales management-friendly CRMs. Although limited in overall functionality, sales managers can still take advantage of an unlimited number of user spots available. Within the Freshsales free plan, sales managers can use basic tools for viewing potential sales opportunities, communicating with their team, and monitoring progress of the entire sales pipeline.
Some of the Freshsales outgoing messaging integrations, like WhatsApp and Apple Business Chat, are only available on the higher-level plans. For businesses looking for a comprehensive messenger solution that can be used on the lower-paid plans, we recommend amoCRM as a solid alternative.
- Auto-assignment rules automatically assign lead contacts to specific sales reps
- Territory management capabilities, categorizing contacts based on geography and assigning relevant sales staff
- IntelliAssign tool that creates auto-chat conversations within teams based on factors like experience and current workloads
- Sales goals can be set and monitored in the system on a daily, weekly, or quarterly basis
- Sales forecasting tools to analyze future revenue and growth potential
Zoho CRM: Best for Motivating Sales Teams
*Pricing is based on an annual subscription. Monthly billing is available as well.
Motivating sales teams is one of the more critical elements of sales management. That being said, Zoho CRM is unique in its capabilities by offering built-in gamification and motivation tools. These can be used to assign mini goals, create competitive games, incentivize sales activities, and broadcast sales success in order to motivate each individual sales rep.
Zoho CRM has a free option, but it’s limited in both features and the number of users. For managers who want a free CRM for an unlimited number of users and basic sales management features (like the ability to manage and monitor various sales pipelines), we recommend considering Freshsales as a viable alternative.
Zoho CRM Features
- Categorizing tools to assign sales reps to leads based on the lead territory, product or service, or other criteria set
- Built-in motivational tool allows managers to turn sales activities into games where points can be recorded and broadcasted to motivate sales teams
- Remote management capabilities with Cliq and Meeting integrations for online meetings
- Integration options allow users to synchronize inboxes, contacts, and calendar into the CRM
Not sure if this is the right tool for your business? Read our Zoho CRM review and find out what it does best and how it helps small businesses achieve their goals.
Salesmate: Best for Managing Telesales
*Prices are for monthly billing, annual billing is also available for a lower cost
Despite the rise of new communication channels like social media and direct messaging, many sales managers still utilize cold calling as the preferred method of outbound sales. Depending on the industry, cold calling can be the most effective way to generate movement on the pipeline.
Salesmate CRM offers both a built-in phone system and power dialer feature to allow sales reps to make a high amount of calls in a short period of time. Additionally, managers can easily track and monitor phone calls of each sales rep within the platform to view progress.
Based on user reviews and evaluation of the CRM system, Salesmate can be difficult to operate. For businesses and sales teams looking for a more intuitive sales management CRM software, we recommend either Freshsales or amoCRM, primarily because of their intuitive interfaces and limited skill sets needed to operate.
- Built-in sales forecasting software to estimate revenues
- Sales automation features for outreach and assigning tasks to team members
- Syncs with many Google Workspace applications to centralize some processes
- Sales goals can be set, monitored, and evaluated in comparison to other sales reps
- Activity leaderboard to monitor individual sales activities for both accountability and coaching opportunities
Insightly: Best for Built-in Project Management Tools
Aside from the operational sales management, sales managers are often put into project management situations when a particular deliverable is needed to improve the sales process. Common examples of this might include mass input of new lead data, design of sales marketing materials, or even completion of education modules for a new product being sold.
Insightly has built-in project management tools that can assist on completion of those types of deliverables. Sales managers can manage and monitor tasks, synchronize projects with their calendar, and create custom processes for each project. Additionally, the mobile application allows for multiproject monitoring while on the go.
Automation is a huge asset when managing sales operations, especially for larger teams. Unfortunately, Insightly cannot provide automation tools on the free or lowest-priced plans, and is very limited on the Professional one. We recommend Zoho CRM as a more cost-effective solution for those who need automation tools.
- Project management features within the CRM for task tracking, calendar synchronization, and custom project processes
- Team collaboration capabilities via integration with Slack
- Ability to assign sales teams and customize sales processes
- Multiproject capabilities available on mobile devices
Head over to our Insightly review page to learn more about its features and benefits.
Pipeliner: Best for System Customization
*Prices are based on annual billing. Monthly billing is available for lower prices.
Because of the broad range of customization capabilities Pipeliner offers in addition to its relatively high pricing, it’s likely going to be far better suited for larger teams and organizations. Generally speaking, larger organizations are willing to pay more for mass customization capabilities due to some of the formal processes and procedures they follow.
Some of the customization options within the CRM include pipeline stages, product fields, validation rules, field calculations, drop-downs, sales activities and actions, business units, and user permissions.
Similar to amoCRM, Pipeliner does not allow admin users to view the system access log unless they are subscribed to the Enterprise plan. An alternative solution that gives managers this security capability for a lower cost would be Zoho CRM.
- Internal messaging system for team communication
- Ability to use a bubble view for charting sales opportunities
- Integration with Microsoft Office 365 and Google Workspace applications
- Pipeliner Automation Hub shows all integrations currently active and suggests integration options
- Email features for mass email tracking and automated campaigns
Sales management encompasses multiple types of activities, including communication, monitoring activity, coaching sales reps, and delegation tasks, all of which can be more easily accomplished using some of the tools and integrations offered by various CRM sales management software.
Looking for more information? Also check out our articles on: